Kevyn Adams: likes where his group's at

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Lafrienere is the perfect example. Struggled struggled struggles... hit 22 and boom. 23/24 is the Average and that doesn't mean everyone isn't good until 23/24. As Taro notes, some of it is games played IE experience. 

A bunch of the players listed here are top 3 picks and they can all be excluded because by definition they are outliers. If you feel better using some other metric you can use IN THE 3RD NHL SEASON, as that is usually when things occur and that also corresponds for most players as 23/24. My point is the same though, most players take several NHL seasons (2-3) before they hit their stride. Benson is actually going to be a fun example because everyone writes him on the 3rd line and he seems an after-thought but the guy had almost the same 5v5 scoring as Bedard, I can't imagine what he is at 22 with 4 NHL seasons under his belt. 

In the end, yes some players are 21 or 22 or 23 or 24 but roughly speaking players enter their prime when they are 23/24 and continue in that until about 29 (again some players go on past that like Joe Pavelski who basically spent 15 years being awesome). Don't take an average and apply it to everyone is the moral here but the OG point stands. We don't have a bunch of young guys entering their primes, yet. It is why I wanted Skinner retained for 1 more season. 21 yr old Kulich, Savoie, Östlund and 22yr old Rosen and 19yr old Helenius are very intriguing, especially if all of them played in the AHL together one more year. Now I think at least 1 if not 2 are forced into the lineup and I am not convinced they are ready. At the very least they are not Stutzle at 22 ready. Remember Jack Quinn put up 37 points in 75 games as a Rookie NHL player, do we really expect Kulich, Savoie, Helenius, Rosen, or Östlund to outdo that? Benson dropped 30. If we plug any of those guys in we should expect 30 but not more. 

LOL - ok we can add Outlier to the list.. emphasis on lier.  First of all - none of us have a crystal ball shoved up our buttkiss.  We have no idea how some one will develope or not develop.  How long it might take.  Should they play in the nhl or a lower league to develop.  On average, 49% of players who are drafted by the NHL will “make it” to the NHL — meaning they play in at least one game.  Between 1991 and 2000 37% of First round pics played 0-199 games.

do we really expect Kulich, Savoie, Helenius, Rosen, or Östlund to outdo that?  I dont know, I hope one of them can.

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He has said this "likes where they are at" crap many times before. He says it every year and more than once a year. It's absolute garbage. 

Do you think he really believes that or is he trying to publicly signal to other GM's that he's not desperate in trade talks? (Which other GM's know is absolute garbage).

18 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

LOL - ok we can add Outlier to the list.. emphasis on lier.  First of all - none of us have a crystal ball shoved up our buttkiss.  We have no idea how some one will develope or not develop.  How long it might take.  Should they play in the nhl or a lower league to develop.  On average, 49% of players who are drafted by the NHL will “make it” to the NHL — meaning they play in at least one game.  Between 1991 and 2000 37% of First round pics played 0-199 games.

do we really expect Kulich, Savoie, Helenius, Rosen, or Östlund to outdo that?  I dont know, I hope one of them can.

I don't lie. I take great pains around here to make sure I deal in facts as often as possible or provide context that is based in fact when giving my opinion. 

Between 1991 and 2000 is a worthless sample. It pre-dates the modern NHL by years and is completely devoid of the type of training and prep jr leagues provide to their players. 2010-2020 would be far more accurate (and maybe it stayed the same, idk because I don't have that info). It however is not relevant to this either because again, NHL players typically hit their stride in the 23/24yr range or in the 3-5 NHL season range. The percent of 1st rounders making the NHL isn't particularly relevant to that.

top 3 picks in the modern NHL are almost guaranteed to get 100 NHL games. Teams invest too heavily to not do that and make sure they won't work. 

As to my final line which you seem to either making fun of or riffing on, I don't think it is reasonable to assume any of the listed rookies are able to come into the NHL and put up much more than 30ish points. That is specifically in their first NHL season. Jack Quinn was a ppg AHL player and 21 and he couldn't do it in year 1. Zach Benson was an outlier and he couldn't do it. Conor Bedard did because of lots of PP time. I simply saying that 20yr Kulich might be able to get you 30pts but that doesn't make us a playoff team on its own and we shouldn't count on anyone from Helenius to Savoie outdoing that. Again, I playing the averages because that applies most, outliers are rare. It is why you don't compare all QBs to Josh Allen or you don't compare all 18yr prospects to Benson. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Did Sabres GM Kyven Adams just troll the Sabres fan base? The same fan base that has endured 13 seasons of un-surpassed hockey suffering? Is that just what happened here?

I dont think he trolled em, but he sure spun em pretty hard.... I just wanna know if he really believes that we believe that cr@p or if he knows we dont and he is just providing a sound bite to get out of the question... 

3 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

Do you think he really believes that or is he trying to publicly signal to other GM's that he's not desperate in trade talks? (Which other GM's know is absolute garbage).

I have no idea what he really believes. I'm also quite sure he lies a lot. If I stepped aside and just looked at his tone and body language and tried to psychoanalyze him I'd say he looks somewhat resigned and defeated but also lost and not sure what to do next. He does not exude actual confidence to me, even if it is the bs type you see from some hockey guys .

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I have no idea what he really believes. I'm also quite sure he lies a lot. If I stepped aside and just looked at his tone and body language and tried to psychoanalyze him I'd say he looks somewhat resigned and defeated but also lost and not sure what to do next. He does not exude actual confidence to me, even if it is the bs type you see from some hockey guys .

I think he had a plan for the draft--and why he traded down--but it didn't materialize because he thought it was set in stone when it wasn't. I think the same was true for the Skinner buyout. I think they were in talks with someone to bring in through the free agency, GMKA thought it was going to happen, cleared the cap space, and then the player went elsewhere.

Now I think he's lost. He looks and sounds tired. Look at his pre-draft presser, the "We want to be harder to play against" presser, and today's "we need to take that step this year" presser. His body language and enthusiasm are completely different from pre-draft through to today.

1 minute ago, RochesterExpat said:

I think he had a plan for the draft--and why he traded down--but it didn't materialize because he thought it was set in stone when it wasn't. I think the same was true for the Skinner buyout. I think they were in talks with someone to bring in through the free agency, GMKA thought it was going to happen, cleared the cap space, and then the player went elsewhere.

Now I think he's lost. He looks and sounds tired. Look at his pre-draft presser, the "We want to be harder to play against" presser, and today's "we need to take that step this year" presser. His body language and enthusiasm are completely different from pre-draft through to today.

Serious question though. How does adding a few fourth liners make the team "harder to play against"? Boston's harder to play against with Zadorov on their blueline (I won't even get into how their 4th line new guys are better than ours it's not worth the time). Toronto's harder to play against with Tanev added to their blueline. Zucker doesn't make us harder to play against. It's a statement, but it's not even a true statement. 

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Serious question though. How does adding a few fourth liners make the team "harder to play against"? Boston's harder to play against with Zadorov on their blueline (I won't even get into how their 4th line new guys are better than ours it's not worth the time). Toronto's harder to play against with Tanev added to their blueline. Zucker doesn't make us harder to play against. It's a statement, but it's not even a true statement. 

Well we have more physicality in our Bot 6 than we had prior. Tanev is a great defensive dman but will likely only play 50 games a season.. Zadorov is overpaid and I firmly believe he's still a 3rd pairing guy based on his entire career besides this year in Vancouver. 

Zucker is tougher to play against than Olofsson

Presently Boston's 4th Line in Depth are Max Jones, John Beecher, and Mark Kastelic

If we get one more forward to push down Greenway, we'd have Greenway, Lafferty, and Aube-Kubel which isn't bad.

13 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I do get that sense from him; a sense that he isn't quite as blind as we want to say he is but can't seem to effectively fix problems due to unusual circumstances or the like.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well, I think it's actually a true statement that the team is "harder to play against" in the literal sense if we're only looking at the 4th line. That line is improved. The rest of the roster isn't. We lost Mitts who had the highest points pace on the team and we bought out the guy who finished third in scoring during a year the whole team regressed. We've done nothing to actually replace that lost production. 

To the core of your point though: we've lost the arms race in the east. It doesn't matter if Buffalo really is "harder to play against" when all the other teams are harder to play against as well. If you're in a race against someone else and you're behind them, you can't catch them by running at their pace. Even worse, at least relative to the Atlantic Division, Buffalo isn't even running at the pace of the teams ahead of them and they're going slower than teams behind them (Ottawa specifically). When we look at the whole conference, the Penguins and Devils are certainly more improved. 

I don't see Buffalo as being a playoff team without further moves made or the current roster having a statistically unlikely major outlier of a season in terms of production.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

Benson was Savoie's Center in the Minors and Benson jumped from Minors right to the Sabres. Savoie now has 3 great Seasons down in the Minors. Don't see it as a Stretch he makes Roster, not 100% though.

Kulich is labeled a Center in Amerks Roster, Not listed at all as Winger. He is a True Center and will be one. Even Appertt has said he is Projected to Sabres as Center.

Lafferty also is on Roster and Adams said he is a Center for 3/4th Line.

Amerks need room for their new Center too, 1st pick of this Draft.

Kulich is making the Sabres Roster for sure. No reason like Quinn and Peterka to leave him down there. Do better learning from Ruff and Appertt at the Sabres then new AHL Coach

Amerks to play with Sabres:  Obviously Levi, Ryan Johnson, Kulich, Rousek and Savoie (Minors)

If they don't make Roster then they will be in a Trade for a 3rd Line center

Benson has never played in the minors and Savoie has just a few games.   Savioe just became eligible for Rochester this season.  I don’t care what they did in Juniors. It is irrelevant.  

Kulich might make the team as a winger if they don’t replace Skinner.  Maybe.  

This was supposed to be a season the put out a tough and competitive playoff team.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • dislike 1

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Well we have more physicality in our Bot 6 than we had prior. Tanev is a great defensive dman but will likely only play 50 games a season.. Zadorov is overpaid and I firmly believe he's still a 3rd pairing guy based on his entire career besides this year in Vancouver. 

Third pairing? Seriously? I mean seriously???

I'm going to predict he gets paired with McAvoy and thus frees up McAvoy's offensive side.

But sure, you think because we added a few bottom players we can handle this, sure. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Well, I think it's actually a true statement that the team is "harder to play against" in the literal sense if we're only looking at the 4th line. That line is improved. The rest of the roster isn't. We lost Mitts who had the highest points pace on the team and we bought out the guy who finished third in scoring during a year the whole team regressed. We've done nothing to actually replace that lost production. 

To the core of your point though: we've lost the arms race in the east. It doesn't matter if Buffalo really is "harder to play against" when all the other teams are harder to play against as well. If you're in a race against someone else and you're behind them, you can't catch them by running at their pace. Even worse, at least relative to the Atlantic Division, Buffalo isn't even running at the pace of the teams ahead of them and they're going slower than teams behind them (Ottawa specifically). When we look at the whole conference, the Penguins and Devils are certainly more improved. 

I don't see Buffalo as being a playoff team without further moves made or the current roster having a statistically unlikely major outlier of a season in terms of production.

I don't think the Penguins are improved if you factor in that Guentzel isn't there but otherwise I agree. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Third pairing? Seriously? I mean seriously???

I'm going to predict he gets paired with McAvoy and thus frees up McAvoy's offensive side.

But sure, you think because we added a few bottom players we can handle this, sure. 

Have you watched or tracked Zadorov at all outside of this immediate playoff run? He’s hopped around from Colorado to Chicago to Calgary to Vancouver. In none of those places was he considered a Top 2 defenseman and in Chicago and even Calgary he was scratched at times. It was more or less with CGY’s coaching change that he seemed to find a groove as more of a 4/5 player. Vancouver, he then seemed to find a balance to his game and was a 2nd pairing guy through and through. He still has a nasty habit of chasing for hits which bites him from time to time. And he could very well help McAvoy but it would be McAvoy doing the heavy lifting.

I don’t get the secondary comment though; most teams including higher end teams lack Top 6 bruisers because they aren’t common by any regard and either fall off physically or have little consistency over their career in the points department. 

The Sabres have thus far made their team less wimpy, yes with Bot 6 players but that is far more than we have had for years. Now instead of Zadorov being able to bully us into submission; we can at least fight back some.

33 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Have you watched or tracked Zadorov at all outside of this immediate playoff run? He’s hopped around from Colorado to Chicago to Calgary to Vancouver. In none of those places was he considered a Top 2 defenseman and in Chicago and even Calgary he was scratched at times. It was more or less with CGY’s coaching change that he seemed to find a groove as more of a 4/5 player. Vancouver, he then seemed to find a balance to his game and was a 2nd pairing guy through and through. He still has a nasty habit of chasing for hits which bites him from time to time. And he could very well help McAvoy but it would be McAvoy doing the heavy lifting.

I don’t get the secondary comment though; most teams including higher end teams lack Top 6 bruisers because they aren’t common by any regard and either fall off physically or have little consistency over their career in the points department. 

The Sabres have thus far made their team less wimpy, yes with Bot 6 players but that is far more than we have had for years. Now instead of Zadorov being able to bully us into submission; we can at least fight back some.

Yes, it would be McAvoy and McAvoy will be elevated and freed up as a result, much like if he was in Buffalo and paired with Dahlin. 

To the last comment we have a fundamental gap in terms of how we evaluate and value the bottom line guys added. I think as the year goes on you will see my point, but for now I guess we agree to disagree on it. 

15 hours ago, Pimlach said:

With Jost gone we have Tage, Cozens, and Krebs.  We need another center. 

Benson is a winger and will make the team. 

I saw Savoie last season and was not ready.   He needs to at least start tne season in Rochester.  I would be shocked if he can make the jump from juniors, even at 20.  He projects to wing.  

Kulich is now a winger, so is Rosen.  Neither were ready.  

Östlund (center) and Wahlberg (wing) just arrived in Rochester and need time down there.  

They need a center that wins draws and plays a two way game.  

They could play Lafferty at 4C

I obv agree they need someone tho 

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Benson has never played in the minors and Savoie has just a few games.   Savioe just became eligible for Rochester this season.  I don’t care what they did in Juniors. It is irrelevant.  

Kulich might make the team as a winger if they don’t replace Skinner.  Maybe.  

This was supposed to be a season the put out a tough and competitive playoff team.  

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/nhl-draft-zach-benson-matt-savoies-center-could-be-strong-pick-for-sabres/

• Disagree 1