Kevyn Adams: likes where his group's at

LGR4GM

Kevyn exhausts me with his baby step approach to improving this club and his misspelled name. Perhaps he gets a big bag of cash under his porch the jesus win GIFif he only spends to 85% of the cap. In exchange he takes our abuse and distain. This the year he will give the players his rah rah guarantee they will get EVERYTHING they need to lose in the first round of the playoffs..

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I’ve been critical of Adams and I still am. But in theory being a tougher team in general should help the onboarding of some of the kids as they come of age. 

That said this team needs Cozens, Thompson, and Tuch to get their games right. 

He could have made similar moves 2 years ago to help the young core, especially in net.

He still has more to go.  We have Tage, Cozens, and Krebs for centers.  We need a 2C. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I, for one, like the moves he's made so far.

Love the move for Melanstyn.   He provides everything this team is lacking.    He'll be a fan favorite right out of the gate.

Immediate upgrades to the bottom of the lineup.

Still plenty of time to add before the season begins, I'm not concerned.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I, for one, like the moves he's made so far.

Love the move for Melanstyn.   He provides everything this team is lacking.    He'll be a fan favorite right out of the gate.

Immediate upgrades to the bottom of the lineup.

Still plenty of time to add before the season begins, I'm not concerned.

So much of a fan favourite he can’t even get his name spelled correctly amirite

If Beck has whatever that is he should probably get it checked out by a medical professional 

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, kas23 said:

This is pretty much all we have here. Pegula had $9M reasons for buying out Skinner. If we weren’t going to use the space created, it would’ve been better cap management to stash him in the press box each night. 

You Realize it is only July 2nd. Season doesn't start till October

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He could have made similar moves 2 years ago to help the young core, especially in net.

He still has more to go.  We have Tage, Cozens, and Krebs for centers.  We need a 2C. 

Why do you feel Savoie, Kulich, Benson, Östlund, Walberg might not be able to do that? These are very Talented people with a good HC and a AHC that knows them well. If a Great 3C pops up awesome, hopefully Krebs is in Package.

I do NOT doubt Amerks will reap Sabres rewards, Made the Playoffs past two seasons. The Bottom Two Lines Will be very Physical and have some good checking in place.

2 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

Why do you feel Savoie, Kulich, Benson, Östlund, Walberg might not be able to do that? These are very Talented people with a good HC and a AHC that knows them well. If a Great 3C pops up awesome, hopefully Krebs is in Package.

I do NOT doubt Amerks will reap Sabres rewards, Made the Playoffs past two seasons. The Bottom Two Lines Will be very Physical and have some good checking in place.

With Jost gone we have Tage, Cozens, and Krebs.  We need another center. 

Benson is a winger and will make the team. 

I saw Savoie last season and was not ready.   He needs to at least start tne season in Rochester.  I would be shocked if he can make the jump from juniors, even at 20.  He projects to wing.  

Kulich is now a winger, so is Rosen.  Neither were ready.  

Östlund (center) and Wahlberg (wing) just arrived in Rochester and need time down there.  

They need a center that wins draws and plays a two way game.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I like the group we’ve got right now, says Adams.

He’s managing expectations and hedging against the possibility that this is essentially his training camp roster.

If he doesn’t swing a trade for a middle-6 centre, I will have lost faith before the season even starts.

13 hours ago, #freejame said:

Joke organization.

Look at all his suitors lining up! He’s not a quality NHL player. Hasn’t been in this decade. 

lol at this Zemgus take. He’s apparently good enough to be a 4th liner/13th forward on a real NHL team.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I like the group we’ve got right now, says Adams.

He’s managing expectations and hedging against the possibility that this is essentially his training camp roster.

If he doesn’t swing a trade for a middle-6 centre, I will have lost faith before the season even starts.

lol at this Zemgus take. He’s apparently good enough to be a 4th liner/13th forward on a real NHL team.

Quality NHL players don’t sign for the veterans minimum. Jost and Robinson just signed with good teams too. Are they quality NHL players? This is a guy that the organization has been saying is indispensable for years. They just paid him over two million dollars last year for nothing! Hang your hat on it, just like when I was proven wrong when Larry signed with Arizona.

Oh, wait. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

With Jost gone we have Tage, Cozens, and Krebs.  We need another center. 

Benson is a winger and will make the team. 

I saw Savoie last season and was not ready.   He needs to at least start tne season in Rochester.  I would be shocked if he can make the jump from juniors, even at 20.  He projects to wing.  

Kulich is now a winger, so is Rosen.  Neither were ready.  

Östlund (center) and Wahlberg (wing) just arrived in Rochester and need time down there.  

They need a center that wins draws and plays a two way game.  

Benson was Savoie's Center in the Minors and Benson jumped from Minors right to the Sabres. Savoie now has 3 great Seasons down in the Minors. Don't see it as a Stretch he makes Roster, not 100% though.

Kulich is labeled a Center in Amerks Roster, Not listed at all as Winger. He is a True Center and will be one. Even Appertt has said he is Projected to Sabres as Center.

Lafferty also is on Roster and Adams said he is a Center for 3/4th Line.

Amerks need room for their new Center too, 1st pick of this Draft.

Kulich is making the Sabres Roster for sure. No reason like Quinn and Peterka to leave him down there. Do better learning from Ruff and Appertt at the Sabres then new AHL Coach

Amerks to play with Sabres:  Obviously Levi, Ryan Johnson, Kulich, Rousek and Savoie (Minors)

If they don't make Roster then they will be in a Trade for a 3rd Line center

8 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Benson was Savoie's Center in the Minors and Benson jumped from Minors right to the Sabres. Savoie now has 3 great Seasons down in the Minors. Don't see it as a Stretch he makes Roster, not 100% though.

Kulich is labeled a Center in Amerks Roster, Not listed at all as Winger. He is a True Center and will be one. Even Appertt has said he is Projected to Sabres as Center.

Lafferty also is on Roster and Adams said he is a Center for 3/4th Line.

Amerks need room for their new Center too, 1st pick of this Draft.

Kulich is making the Sabres Roster for sure. No reason like Quinn and Peterka to leave him down there. Do better learning from Ruff and Appertt at the Sabres then new AHL Coach

Amerks to play with Sabres:  Obviously Levi, Ryan Johnson, Kulich, Rousek and Savoie (Minors)

If they don't make Roster then they will be in a Trade for a 3rd Line center

Zach Benson is a winger. Kulich could be a center at the nhl level, idk about this year though. Savoie could make the NHL this year, that's true, he played center last year in Jr's but idk if he's projecting there in the NHL. 

There's plenty of room in Rochester for Helenius and Kulich to play center. 

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Last year after missing Playoffs by 1 point everyone was calling to bring Team back as is and just get Top 4 RW Defense and a Goalie

I was getting screamed at for saying I wanted Okposo, Girg gone and a Top 6 WInger.

Funny after it went bad who forgets what they were saying last year.

Everybody was calling for Savoie to stay with Sabres to avoid Minors. Calling for Kulich to come up to.

We brought 3-4 good players instead of Last years Bottom 6 group. We have Top 5 we built last 2-3 years. Not crazy to bring up Amerks who are more Ready then Quinn and Peterka were 3 years ago.

Sabres can make Trades with these players at any time if needed. Sink or Swim.

These players need to play well now or get traded. New guys coming up the Pipeline!!!!

4 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Last year after missing Playoffs by 1 point everyone was calling to bring Team back as is and just get Top 4 RW Defense and a Goalie

I was getting screamed at for saying I wanted Okposo, Girg gone and a Top 6 WInger.

Everybody was calling for Savoie to stay with Sabres to avoid Minors. Calling for Kulich to come up to.

We brought 3-4 good players instead of Last years Bottom 6 group. We have Top 5 we built last 2-3 years. Not crazy to bring up Amerks who are more Ready then Quinn and Peterka were 3 years ago.

These players need to play well now or get traded. New guys coming up the Pipeline!!!!

I don't remember this at all. In fact I remember the opposite. Savoie and Kulich were 19 last year, jjp and Quinn were 21 in their first NHL season. 

NHL players on average become good around 23/24 so the good news is Quinn and Peterka are there but Savioe, Benson, Kulich, Helenius are several years away still. On good teams that's fine because you have a guy who is 26 and will give you another 7 years of good play. On Buffalo we have to hope Cozens rebounds. 

It's why everyone complaining about Dickinson confuses me. Dahlin and Power are going to lock down d1 and d2 and pp1 and pp2 for another 8 years at least, you might be able to spend 5 years now developing one of the 7 defenders from the last 2 drafts into a replacement but you have years to do it. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Agreed, they needed to be tougher, more grit, and hard to play against.  On paper, Adams went out and did what was needed.  Part One was to build up the prospect pool.  Two accomplishments.  Now it is up to the coach to use the tools presented to him and create a winner.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

People might not believe it, but at some point the league will step in. Buffalo is already at the disadvantage of being a small market team. We know Buffalo is not in a place to be a financial positive for the league (just look at ticket sales). The playoff drought just paints a target on the franchise.

Owners agree to field competitive teams as part of team ownership. However improbable it may seem that the league would step in, I remind you the NHL just forcibly relocated the Arizona Coyotes to Utah at least in part because the Coyotes were embarrassing the NHL. If Buffalo goes a few more years missing the playoffs, all while continuing to spend below league average on team salary, you might see a similar situation where the league leans on Pegula to sell under the guise of Pegula not fielding a competitive team and, therefore, damaging the NHL product as a whole.

It's not an unrealistic scenario.

Would bet the League has already given Pegula the message. Invest in your franchise.

New roof, new video display scoreboard, new high profile Coach. Make the playoffs. 

Business as usual is over. Pegula is still a cheapskate but Adams was more active in free agency. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't remember this at all. In fact I remember the opposite. Savoie and Kulich were 19 last year, jjp and Quinn were 21 in their first NHL season. 

NHL players on average become good around 23/24 so the good news is Quinn and Peterka are there but Savioe, Benson, Kulich, Helenius are several years away still. On good teams that's fine because you have a guy who is 26 and will give you another 7 years of good play. On Buffalo we have to hope Cozens rebounds. 

It's why everyone complaining about Dickinson confuses me. Dahlin and Power are going to lock down d1 and d2 and pp1 and pp2 for another 8 years at least, you might be able to spend 5 years now developing one of the 7 defenders from the last 2 drafts into a replacement but you have years to do it. 

Love how we stereotype players.  Top six, Bottom 4, need to be over 6 ft and weigh 285 pounds, wingspand of 20 feet, etc...  Cant be good until you are 24.  What about these guys and their development (top offensive producers under 23):

image.thumb.png.e8390d7cc428bf93450306bb6db43523.pngJack Hughes

Tim Stutzle

Matt Boldy

Dylan Cozens

Dawson Mercer

Cole Caufield

Wyatt Johnston

Matty Beniers

Andrei Svechnikov

Trevor Zegras

Kirill Marchenko

Shane Pinto

Barrett Hayton

Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Kaapo Kakko

Lucas Raymond

Mason McTavish

Alexis Lafreniere

Kent Johnson

Jonatan Berggren

Rasmus Dahlin

Joel Farabee

Kirby Dach

Seth Jarvis

Jack Quinn

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well, actually they're just under that, but IF it isn't so much age as NHL experience that's the key to guys hitting their primes, well these 2 should be hitting it this year.  (Giving Quinn credit for being in the NHL through osmosis most of last year.  😉 )

Edited by Taro T

Ugh. Long time board member but only have posted on the Stadium Wall. I attended the very first Sabre game after being a rabid Buffalo Bison fan (relished the Calder Cup win the year before the Sabes hit town) and followed the team throughout the wonder years of the French Connection. Enjoyed many competitive teams following and the Hasek years were just so much fun. Then we suffered through the ownership roulette but had renewed hope with Terry and crew. These last 15 years have drained my soul with this team. Had a bump of enthusiasm with KA, but now I fear another year of "blockers" and "we tried..." yadda yadda. Last year was my disconnect. No blockers in the way and we had a team that hugged the boards and got beat down by other teams that had actual fully grown men playing. This year, okay good, bottom six is tougher. Top six not so much and they still have to prove they know that in front of the net is generally a good place to create goal scoring chances. We need another Alex Tuch-like top six and a 3C. So KA, do or do not, there is no try.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

Love how we stereotype players.  Top six, Bottom 4, need to be over 6 ft and weigh 285 pounds, wingspand of 20 feet, etc...  Cant be good until you are 24.  What about these guys and their development (top offensive producers under 23):

image.thumb.png.e8390d7cc428bf93450306bb6db43523.pngJack Hughes

Tim Stutzle

Matt Boldy

Dylan Cozens

Dawson Mercer

Cole Caufield

Wyatt Johnston

Matty Beniers

Andrei Svechnikov

Trevor Zegras

Kirill Marchenko

Shane Pinto

Barrett Hayton

Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Kaapo Kakko

Lucas Raymond

Mason McTavish

Alexis Lafreniere

Kent Johnson

Jonatan Berggren

Rasmus Dahlin

Joel Farabee

Kirby Dach

Seth Jarvis

Jack Quinn

Lafrienere is the perfect example. Struggled struggled struggles... hit 22 and boom. 23/24 is the Average and that doesn't mean everyone isn't good until 23/24. As Taro notes, some of it is games played IE experience. 

A bunch of the players listed here are top 3 picks and they can all be excluded because by definition they are outliers. If you feel better using some other metric you can use IN THE 3RD NHL SEASON, as that is usually when things occur and that also corresponds for most players as 23/24. My point is the same though, most players take several NHL seasons (2-3) before they hit their stride. Benson is actually going to be a fun example because everyone writes him on the 3rd line and he seems an after-thought but the guy had almost the same 5v5 scoring as Bedard, I can't imagine what he is at 22 with 4 NHL seasons under his belt. 

In the end, yes some players are 21 or 22 or 23 or 24 but roughly speaking players enter their prime when they are 23/24 and continue in that until about 29 (again some players go on past that like Joe Pavelski who basically spent 15 years being awesome). Don't take an average and apply it to everyone is the moral here but the OG point stands. We don't have a bunch of young guys entering their primes, yet. It is why I wanted Skinner retained for 1 more season. 21 yr old Kulich, Savoie, Östlund and 22yr old Rosen and 19yr old Helenius are very intriguing, especially if all of them played in the AHL together one more year. Now I think at least 1 if not 2 are forced into the lineup and I am not convinced they are ready. At the very least they are not Stutzle at 22 ready. Remember Jack Quinn put up 37 points in 75 games as a Rookie NHL player, do we really expect Kulich, Savoie, Helenius, Rosen, or Östlund to outdo that? Benson dropped 30. If we plug any of those guys in we should expect 30 but not more. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1