Kevyn Adams: likes where his group's at

LGR4GM

It is clear they bought Skinner out to make a move this off-season. 

Every move they made could've been made without waiving him. And they would have been financially better off, long term, having bought him out next year. 

Trust me, KA and the team went hunting today - and failed. Their NHL scouting and in house promotion team is probably extremely poor and unorganized. Piss poor showmanship is my guess. Gotta know how to sell....

There is far too little NHL experience up top with a far range enough of experiences. 

My faith is zero. Unless Quinn and JJ step up and Bryam and Power grow up 2-3 years quicker than they should have to, we are floating between 9th and 11th next season.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If you are a current STH or a prospective one, except for Lindy being hired, there has been nothing to get excited about. 

Good luck getting the STH numbers up, if this is the best Adams has to offer. 

STHs seem to already be up.  Pretty sure they still have their internal STH cap of 14k.  It seemed there were only about 1500-2k seats available as STHs at the B&GI/ticket selection event a fee weeks back.  (Which was surprising.  Maybe there were more than that and it just seemed there weren't many of them available.)  But last year, would estimate they were at ~10k and know the goal this year is 11.5k. 

It seems they'll reach that goal.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

And am convinced that Lindy Ruff doesn't agree.  And also expect that these players would rather win then have their little club disrupted.  If THAT'S not the case, we as fans are truly screwed. 

Now, is Lindy right that the well liked but defensively & coloring w/in the linesly challenged Skinner a net detriment, no data.  But it's quite clear that's his belief.

I don’t think of it from a club getting disrupted. I think that as hockey players, they understand who Skinner is as a player, and because of that (or in spite of that), they like him a lot on a personal level. I know everyone’s experience in sports is different, but I know from my own experience if there’s a player who the team doesn’t like on the ice or field, they don’t like him off of it either.

I imagine one of the first thoughts all of the roster had was “if we’re losing Jeff, we must have something big brewing.” And I’m sure one of their first thoughts after today was “I can’t believe we lost Skinner without bringing anyone in for him.”

It’s not about the club. I bet the players think Skinner makes the team better. It sends a bad message to those guys. They know the bottom 6 is improved, but they lost their boy to save a couple bucks. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

STHs seem to already be up.  Pretty sure they still have their internal STH cap of 14k.  It seemed there were only about 1500-2k seats available as STHs at the B&GI/ticket selection event a fee weeks back.  (Which was surprising.  Maybe there were more than that and it just seemed there weren't many of them available.)  But last year, would estimate they were at ~10k and know the goal this year is 11.5k. 

It seems they'll reach that goal.

If so, amazing that he fans are still buying in after 13 years of eating ***** sandwiches.  

4 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I don’t think of it from a club getting disrupted. I think that as hockey players, they understand who Skinner is as a player, and because of that (or in spite of that), they like him a lot on a personal level. I know everyone’s experience in sports is different, but I know from my own experience if there’s a player who the team doesn’t like on the ice or field, they don’t like him off of it either.

I imagine one of the first thoughts all of the roster had was “if we’re losing Jeff, we must have something big brewing.” And I’m sure one of their first thoughts after today was “I can’t believe we lost Skinner without bringing anyone in for him.”

It’s not about the club. I bet the players think Skinner makes the team better. It sends a bad message to those guys. They know the bottom 6 is improved, but they lost their boy to save a couple bucks. 

And expect that Ruff & Adams talked with Dahlin, Tuch, and probably a few others about the move.

Ruff talks a lot about how a big change of his from earlier in his career is trying to get to know the players.  If that isn't simply lip service, then he's spoken to at least the team's leaders.

You may be right, and this breaks the guys that are here.  (Doubt it, but maybe.)  But if you are, we're screwed anyhow.  Better to know it in October than after 2 more lost seasons.

Edited by Taro T
Added a sentence
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's the truth, the Sabres are on phase 2 of the offseason already. See who signed what and who needs to move a guy. They are looking for a trade but considering Adams has never brought in a top 6 player since the Eichel trade, I'm not holding my breath. 

He needs help LG. Let's get a list together of targets and ammo, debate in this forum to narrow it, once we're all in agreeance we can fax over to..........

Just now, Taro T said:

And expect that Ruff & Adams talked with Dahlin, Tuch, and probably a few others about the move.

Ruff talks a lot about how a big change of his from earlier in his career is trying to get to know the players.

You may be right, and this breaks the guys that are here.  (Doubt it, but maybe.)  But if you are, we're screwed anyhow.  Better to know it in October than after 2 more lost seasons.

I think they’re all big boys and won’t be broken. I think you’re absolutely right Adams and Ruff probably talked to them about it as well. There’s probably a tinge of disappointment in there air though, just like here. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I can’t believe this organization thinks trading one of the most well liked goal scorers off of a young team and then not replace his production sends a good message through the organization. 

Seriously. Imagine how ***** dejecting it would be to lose not only one of your team’s top goalscorers, but also one of the guys you really like on the team. I bet when guys on the rosters saw the buyout they got excited because no way would they get rid of Jeff without replacing him. 

I can promise you every single Sabres player understands Skinners flaws. I would also bet dollars to donuts they’d rather have him than nothing. 

I’ll take that bet all day.  The guys picking up those PP minutes and OFZ starts will like this move. The only message from the organization this sends is “if you want ice time on this team you better play both sides of the puck and you better hate losing.”

The Sabres players aren’t sitting around dejected after this trade saying “who’s gonna score those goals now?”

No they are saying “if I get a shot at the PP or top 6 minutes I’m gonna do everything I can to keep it or else Ruff is going to try someone else”

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I think they’re all big boys and won’t be broken. I think you’re absolutely right Adams and Ruff probably talked to them about it as well. There’s probably a tinge of disappointment in there air though, just like here. 

Has anyone stopped to think on how much lip Skinner took from players on other teams? It didn't appear he was well liked in game league wide, maybe, just maybe, jettisoning Skinner is a part of a strategy to prepare the environment.......just spiffballing

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

Has anyone stopped to think on how much lip Skinner took from players on other teams? It didn't appear he was well liked in game league wide, maybe, just maybe, jettisoning Skinner is a part of a strategy to prepare the environment.......just spiffballing

That’s his game. You love him on your team, but he’s annoying as ***** to play against. I don’t know many Sabres fans who liked him before he came here. 

There’s like 4 of 5 suggestions in here for how simply removing one of our better players in Skinner might make us better that, while grasping at straws, definitely represent more creative thinking than we’ve seen from Adams in 5 years lol 

Edited by Thorny
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

That's not how the Force Cap works!

If he's needing to make LT deals to bring guys in, well, it kind of is.

(And, no, am not happy the team appears to be in line to be $9MM under the cap.)

Really thought we'd see A big money deal (not counting the single year deal for Zucker big money).

Edited by Taro T
Friggin' autocorrect

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If he's needing to make LT deals to bring guys in, well, it kind of is.

But it's also a great problem to have if you have multiple excellent players deserving of cash. Sometimes they'll win you the Cup and you gladly let them walk, and others you prioritize to extend, and others you trade for renewable assets. This front office operates out of fear.

And this front office's fear leads to alienating their best young players so that they would rather get to UFA ASAP, or to demand trades after signing long-term deals, rather than stay with the franchise's ineptitude.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

But it's also a great problem to have if you have multiple excellent players deserving of cash. Sometimes they'll win you the Cup and you gladly let them walk, and others you prioritize to extend, and others you trade for renewable assets. This front office operates out of fear.

And this front office's fear leads to alienating their best young players so that they would rather get to UFA ASAP, or to demand trades after signing long-term deals, rather than stay with the franchise's ineptitude.

Agree very much w/ the 1st paragraph.

But since Eichel walked, what young player has Adams alienated?  This off-season may be alienating someone.  But that hasn't been made public if it has happened.  Mittelstadt wanted to be here and Skinner (not young, but still) did too.