Are the 24/25 Sabres a better team today then before the draft? Is this a playoff caliber roster?

GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I was pulling for Florida all the way after they beat Boston. Absolutely loved the style of play they brought. I've said here that is the style we should be trying to play with all our size and speed, but so far we only do the speed part and we do not know how to defend like they did. Can Ruff change that? It won't be easy, it's a huge shift. I have no idea if he will even try. New Jersey certainly didn't play like that. 

They got Muscle and they still have the Speed and more from the Amerks. Bills got to Playoffs after 17 years with Tyrod Taylor

Pegula was the Owner everyone was screaming at then too!

8 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

They got Muscle and they still have the Speed and more from the Amerks. Bills got to Playoffs after 17 years with Tyrod Taylor

Pegula was the Owner everyone was screaming at then too!

I don't get into the whole Bills/Sabres comparisons really. Too apples and oranges. I think the big difference is Pegula meddles and stays too involved in the hockey team. He knows nothing about hockey but thinks he does and he has a vision for what he wants to see and results be damned, he will make it happen is his mindset. He is more of an owner just watching with football, and that's why they have had more success.

The other big difference is due to the nature of the game itself. Where would the Bills be without the stud QB? A star NHL player doesn't impact the game the same way as a QB does football (especially in this modern era where you can't hit the QB nearly as much as you could way back in the day). You see even with a McJesus on your team, he still needs the supporting cast and others have to carry the load when he's shutdown. The team dynamics of the game are very different, so an Eichel draft pick is a good one, but he needs the team around him more. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Many people are craving for the 22-23 offensive numbers that this team put up. Losing Skinner and not adding at least a 20 goal 3C really hampers the possibility of doing that again.

I don’t think they need to get to that level again to make the playoffs. The goal differential is where I focus on.

The goaltending is better. The defense is a year older and has some depth. The head coach is better. He has a shutdown line. A slight bump up in scoring should widen the goal differential and makes this team capable of contending for one of the eight spots.

The top prospects are not ready to make an impact but they may provide a spark when called upon to fill a hole due to injuries.

I choose to be optimistic rather than focusing on the holes KA didn’t plug. It’s going to be a long enough summer.

By the way, I still want him to trade for a 3C.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, French Collection said:

By the way, I still want him to trade for a 3C.

Sadly, I think that it's unlikely at this point.  I can see them possibly signing Jack Roslovic.  I would also like to see if they have an interest in former Devil Michael McLeod if Lindy thinks there is something there.

I hate to defend Adams, but none of the guys we thought might be available changed teams.  Roy and Karlsson are still in LV.  Erickson-Ek remains in Minn.  Cirelli is still with TB. 

The guys who did change teams were the UFAs. Stephenson and Monahan received big contracts, especially Stephenson.  The sad part is guys who could have helped, like Wennberg (SJ) and Monahan (CBJ), signed with teams that aren't good either.  Makes you wonder what Adams' plan was.

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sadly, I think that it's unlikely at this point.  I can see them possibly signing Jack Roslovic.  I would also like to see if they have an interest in former Devil Michael McLeod if Lindy thinks there is something there.

I hate to defend Adams, but none of the guys we thought might be available changed teams.  Roy and Karlsson are still in LV.  Erickson-Ek remains in Minn.  Cirelli is still with TB. 

The guys who did change teams were the UFAs. Stephenson and Monahan received big contracts, especially Stephenson.  The sad part is guys who could have helped, like Wennberg (SJ) and Monahan (CBJ), signed with teams that aren't good either.  Makes you wonder what Adams' plan was.

They won't be singing McLeod

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/michael-mcleod-effectively-released/

If we are better and make the playoffs it will be in my opinion because of Ruff. I think we tried to address the need for grit I am not sure how that will translate as I see them now as B sides... Hope I am wrong. In the end our hope is existing player development and Ruff being a better coach than Granato. We may make the playoffs we may not. I see this team as being a long way from a run in the post season of any kind. 

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Looking back, the Mitts deal doesn't look too appealing. I have said all along that the trade for Byram was a good hockey trade for the parties involved. However, there was an assumption that the Mitts subtraction would eventually include a replacement for the departed player. Even if the replacement wasn't equal, if it came close to comparable, the totality of the deal would have been a net plus for us. It didn't happen. The GM's job requires strategic thinking. At best, KA is a mediocre tactician. This organization is spinning its wheels while most organizations are working hard to move forward. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The GM's job requires strategic thinking. At best, KA is a mediocre tactician. This organization is spinning its wheels while most organizations are working hard to move forward. 

He seems unable to pull the trigger fast enough. In the Wild West he would have been the first guy dead in the street, counting his ammo while the other guy draws.

It isn’t an easy job and a first time GM without a mentor is at a disadvantage.

I think we would accept an overpayment in a trade to fill a hole. I am glad he didn’t overpay on a mediocre UFA because mediocre isn’t what they need in a 3C.

I admit that he is up against a lot of resistance from players and agents but I will use other peoples’ word that 75% of players in the NHL do not have NMC/NTC protection.

An old tradesperson I worked with used to be annoyed with how everyone seemed to stand on the sidelines until the supervisor gave them specific duties. He would just look at them and say “do something”.

41 minutes ago, French Collection said:

He seems unable to pull the trigger fast enough. In the Wild West he would have been the first guy dead in the street, counting his ammo while the other guy draws.

I think we would accept an overpayment in a trade to fill a hole. I am glad he didn’t overpay on a mediocre UFA because mediocre isn’t what they need in a 3C.

I admit that he is up against a lot of resistance from players and agents but I will use other peoples’ word that 75% of players in the NHL do not have NMC/NTC protection.

An old tradesperson I worked with used to be annoyed with how everyone seemed to stand on the sidelines until the supervisor gave them specific duties. He would just look at them and say “do something”.

KA is no longer a novice. He's been in the position for 4-5 years now. Of course it is not an easy job. It's a multi-faceted and complicated position that requires a staff that he hires for support. He accepted the job and the responsibility that went with in. In the first few years he was candid enough to let everyone know that his first priority was to rebuild. That stage is past. It's time to compete. He's at a stage where it is not simply about accumulating talent as it is about your record.

I just don't see the urgency that I see with other organizations. Too much caution and incrementalism for a generational failed franchise. One's record determines success or failure. Right now, it continues to be a failure. That's disappointing and sad.

54 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Jason Karmanos has 25 years of front office experience and multiple cups. 

I’ll judge come October if we are better.

Ruff is the coach. They have added grit in the bottom 6. They punted Skinner which is a message to the locker room about the expectations.

The goaltending should be better with UPL, Levi and Reimer. 

A deal still needs to be made for an impact forward.  If they make that move I think they will be a much better team but if not I’m not sure where this team is.

WC Cozens showing up would be huge as well as a healthy Quinn and relatively healthy Muel would also go a long way.

8 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I’ll judge come October if we are better.

Ruff is the coach. They have added grit in the bottom 6. They punted Skinner which is a message to the locker room about the expectations.

The goaltending should be better with UPL, Levi and Reimer. 

A deal still needs to be made for an impact forward.  If they make that move I think they will be a much better team but if not I’m not sure where this team is.

WC Cozens showing up would be huge as well as a healthy Quinn and relatively healthy Muel would also go a long way.

I think the only way we make the playoffs is if 1 of Kulich, Savoie, or Helenius manages to produce offensively and defensively at the Benson rookie rate. 

1 hour ago, JP51 said:

If we are better and make the playoffs it will be in my opinion because of Ruff. I think we tried to address the need for grit I am not sure how that will translate as I see them now as B sides... Hope I am wrong. In the end our hope is existing player development and Ruff being a better coach than Granato. We may make the playoffs we may not. I see this team as being a long way from a run in the post season of any kind. 

If they're better and make the playoffs it will be because of Ruff; the improved play in the defensive zone he brings; the PP not being hot garbage; the improvements that being a year older bring with Quinn, Peterka, Benson, Power, Byram, Cozens, and possibly even Krebs (though still hope the improvement there is via an upgrade); the goaltending being solid to actually good all season; the PK not regressing or possibly even improving; and at least a couple of (and hopefully more of) the Caps, Devils, Pens, Wings, Isles, and Otters taking a step back or at minimum not materially improving.  There're 5 "locks" in the East (FLA, Boston, TO, Carolina, & the Rags) and expect TB to be there until they're not.  Leaving 2 playoff spots open.

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If they're better and make the playoffs it will be because of Ruff; the improved play in the defensive zone he brings; the PP not being hot garbage; the improvements that being a year older bring with Quinn, Peterka, Benson, Power, Byram, Cozens, and possibly even Krebs (though still hope the improvement there is via an upgrade); the goaltending being solid to actually good all season; the PK not regressing or possibly even improving; and at least a couple of (and hopefully more of) the Caps, Devils, Pens, Wings, Isles, and Otters taking a step back or at minimum not materially improving.  There're 5 "locks" in the East (FLA, Boston, TO, Carolina, & the Rags) and expect TB to be there until they're not.  Leaving 2 playoff spots open.

Exactly Ruff and internal development of players... and heck as you have included in the end of your post... a little help/luck wouldnt hurt. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Jason Karmanos has 25 years of front office experience and multiple cups. 

I wonder what his level of frustration is? He would have insight whether it is KA wanting to win the trade, players and agents’ reluctance to consider Buffalo or plain old paralysis by analysis.

I think KA should be moved out but if TP loves him and his spin then move him upstairs to be a buffer. Karmanos may be the man to take the next step.

Just win and a lot of problems will solve themselves.

On 7/2/2024 at 10:50 AM, PASabreFan said:

A cohesive fourth line playing a certain style that Lindy envisions could have an outsized impact on things. Their play could wear down the opponent and ripple through the rest of the lines.

On the surface it's smart.

Zucker is fine. Reimer is possibly a big move bc Levi probably isn't ready. KA is willing to block a prospect. That's a pretty big change.

Lindy.

All in all these are modest steps toward some return to normalcy.

If KA can do more, it could become time to get geuinely excited. Sports is replete with examples of teams that regressed one year then jumped leaps and bounds. You'd have to have a youngin or two or three really pop, but that happens, too. The players we crave might already be here, about to shed their skin.

Cherries on top might wait for @Taro T suspected timeline to make a real push.

I'm not clinically depressed. I'll be at the home opener for sure.

My man!

15 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Well I just saw that Lafferty is actually a center. Meaning he is the 4C, meaning Krebs is 3C, Cozens 2C and Tage the one 1C.  Given my enlightenment, I fear Adams is done with the center position. 

I was really hoping we acquired a 2C, push Cozens to 3C, have Krebs and Lafferty battle for 4C or 13th guy. With injuries likely this seemed reasonable, and we had the assets and cap space to really bring in s good player.   Worst case is bring in a 3C and leave Cozens at 2C.  I’m guessing none of that is happening.   

Well, this would've been great, but pretty unrealistic IMHO.  Legit 2Cs are precious and rare and don't move around that much.  For that matter, high-end 3Cs like Cirelli and Eriksson Ek don't either.  (And I don't want to hear about Monahan -- he stinks.)

I think Cozens and TT are both going to have big bounceback years.  I wish I felt as confident about Krebs.

We have improved the 4th line, think we have a more competent G2 yet still questions on 3C. Yet if guys like Benson can improve, Quinn can stay healthy, get a full season out of Byram we have a chance to improve. Yet I think Detroit and Ottawa also improved so  it might be all for not. I will say am more confident in Lindy leading the team over Granato. 

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Well, this would've been great, but pretty unrealistic IMHO.  Legit 2Cs are precious and rare and don't move around that much.  For that matter, high-end 3Cs like Cirelli and Eriksson Ek don't either.  (And I don't want to hear about Monahan -- he stinks.)

I think Cozens and TT are both going to have big bounceback years.  I wish I felt as confident about Krebs.

Well Rico  I think my thoughts on getting a 2C, or a strong 3C for that matter, were quite realistic given the resources on hand, and it’s exactly the kind of thing that good teams do.  

Buffalo seems to discard legit centers like ROR and Mitts with no problem.  But even if we can get a decent a 3C, it makes Krebs and Lafferty bust hump for ice at either center or wing,  that would help create a competitive atmosphere on the team.  Having a 13th forward that is low cost and can actually play is what good teams do.  My recollection is that Lindy likes versatile players and options at center.  

Hoping to see Cozens bounce back as I do like the kid.  

Also hoping that Lindy can convince Opie to take a few risks, spend a few more dollars, and stop rushing the younger players. 

I’m convinced we have become conditioned by the Pegula era to accept less, lower our expectations, and to believe things are harder than they have to be.