Are the 24/25 Sabres a better team today then before the draft? Is this a playoff caliber roster?

GASabresIUFAN

9 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

And yet even Last year we Crushed many Top Teams in games. Even beat the Kraken. Goaltending and Not Replacing Quinn and Samuelsson killed us, that is Adams Fault. Eric Johnson was a Mess but I understand the pickup. This D is NOT soft. It is Dangerous with good scoring Forwards.

Last year wasn't a Waste. We learned to play D and got Great Goaltending in the Second half.

Lindy Ruff is someone I have watched since late 70's as a Player, then HC! The guy knows what he is doing and can toughen up some of the players. He also has been gone 10 years and learned a few new tricks.

I could go back and look but I am sure your one of the People claiming Krebs was great and we needed Okposo and Girgenson back.

Losing Oloffson alone betters this Team

Levi is Ready just in case

Not a chance my friend. I wanted both gone last year (years ago actually) and have said while I like Krebs attitude, I thought he was basically Curtis Lazar at best. Go look if you like. 

I think you've seen me praise Ruff. I actually remember him as a rookie and how his game fell off after a shoulder injury, remember that? I do. Always liked him as a player and I think you've seem me praise the hire but it's not enough. Your fanboy view of the roster is divorced from reality. 

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about Daniel Sprong and Jack Roslovic on 1 year deals?

With all the darn prospects in this organization I was expecting better.  I expected we would bring in a few higher caliber players.  

Edited by Pimlach

One thing I have to admit about this off-season is how the Sabres have been accountable to their own cries for accountability.

One thing each member of our new 4th line - and even Zucker in a less punishing manner - shares is the fact they bring it. No catered-to national team bonus babies here; these are guys who are in the NHL for one reason only: They come fast and they come hard, every night.

And they are replacing guys like Jost, Skinner and Olofsson who didn’t.

And I wonder what replacing 4 guys with questionable “accountability” with 4 guys with unquestioned “accountability” does to the other 8 guys on the roster? Won’t it mean more pressure on them to match that? As opposed to last season where they could be off and still say “well, I’m bringing more than that guy.”

Can it create more of a critical mass where talented but uneven players like Tuch and Cozens are dragged into the fight more often?

Particularly when the new coach will have no hesitation nailing your ass to the bench if it doesn’t?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Well I just saw that Lafferty is actually a center. Meaning he is the 4C, meaning Krebs is 3C, Cozens 2C and Tage the one 1C.  Given my enlightenment, I fear Adams is done with the center position. 

I was really hoping we acquired a 2C, push Cozens to 3C, have Krebs and Lafferty battle for 4C or 13th guy. With injuries likely this seemed reasonable, and we had the assets and cap space to really bring in s good player.   Worst case is bring in a 3C and leave Cozens at 2C.  I’m guessing none of that is happening.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Well I just saw that Lafferty is actually a center. Meaning he is the 4C, meaning Krebs is 3C, Cozens 2C and Tage the one 1C.  Given my enlightenment, I fear Adams is done with the center position. 

I was really hoping we acquired a 2C, push Cozens to 3C, have Krebs and Lafferty battle for 4C or 13th guy. With injuries likely this seemed reasonable, and we had the assets and cap space to really bring in s good player.   Worst case is bring in a 3C and leave Cozens at 2C.  I’m guessing none of that is happening.   

I don’t think you’re the only one wanting to see Cozens pushed down to 3C.

I’ve never seen that as a reasonable scenario because the GM has made it very clear - through contract and the Mitts trade - that he sees Cozens as a very good 2C long-term

And I couldn’t see him expending precious resources to bring in an expensive upgrade to a role he already sees as being filled.

Personally, I’m OK with the characterization of Cozens as a long-term 2C as well.

Last season definitely raised questions, but the season he put up at 22, along with his track record away from the Sabres and his competitive nature lead me to believe a 30-goal 70-point guy will be more his norm over the length of that contract.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I don’t think you’re the only one wanting to see Cozens pushed down to 3C.

I’ve never seen that as a reasonable scenario because the GM has made it very clear - through contract and the Mitts trade - that he sees Cozens as a very good 2C long-term

And I couldn’t see him expending precious resources to bring in an expensive upgrade to a role he already sees as being filled.

Personally, I’m OK with the characterization of Cozens as a long-term 2C as well.

Last season definitely raised questions, but the season he put up at 22, along with his track record away from the Sabres and his competitive nature lead me to believe a 30-goal 70-point guy will be more his norm over the length of that contract.

I hope you’re right.  I see no reason to put him under the pressures we put our young players under.  

Just now, Pimlach said:

I see no reason to put him under the pressures we put our young players under.  

This part I disagree with.

Cozens has played in 280 NHL games and multiple junior and men’s world championships in a first-line role.

He’s not a rookie any more and he’s been training for this his entire life.

It’s time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

The substance of this post is that you can believe in Dylan Cozens, but to do so to the tune of not even rostering a competent 3C would be borderline negligent 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

One thing I have to admit about this off-season is how the Sabres have been accountable to their own cries for accountability.

One thing each member of our new 4th line - and even Zucker in a less punishing manner - shares is the fact they bring it. No catered-to national team bonus babies here; these are guys who are in the NHL for one reason only: They come fast and they come hard, every night.

And they are replacing guys like Jost, Skinner and Olofsson who didn’t.

And I wonder what replacing 4 guys with questionable “accountability” with 4 guys with unquestioned “accountability” does to the other 8 guys on the roster? Won’t it mean more pressure on them to match that? As opposed to last season where they could be off and still say “well, I’m bringing more than that guy.”

Can it create more of a critical mass where talented but uneven players like Tuch and Cozens are dragged into the fight more often?

Particularly when the new coach will have no hesitation nailing your ass to the bench if it doesn’t?

That is so much more eloquent than my post about the fourth line. Well done.

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This part I disagree with.

Cozens has played in 280 NHL games and multiple junior and men’s world championships in a first-line role.

He’s not a rookie any more and he’s been training for this his entire life.

It’s time.

Maybe this year is time.  Last year certainly was not. 

17 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Johnson for sure looked ready on D but I'drather see Levi spend the entire season in the AHL this year then sitting around and waiting for games but I might be in the minority here. From what I saw last year Kulich/Rosen did not look ready and who knows with Savoie but it's a brand new year.

You will never know if they are Ready sitting in Rochester and new Minor leaguers are coming up. Soon you will see players going back into Drfat cause they can go nowhere in Sabres Organization. Players drafted will refuse to sign.

At a point Sabres need to know if they have NHLer's. If they keep waiting, no one will ever want to come to Buffalo. Trade them away for guys ready then. Better than sitting in the Amerks for 3-5 years

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not a chance my friend. I wanted both gone last year (years ago actually) and have said while I like Krebs attitude, I thought he was basically Curtis Lazar at best. Go look if you like. 

I think you've seen me praise Ruff. I actually remember him as a rookie and how his game fell off after a shoulder injury, remember that? I do. Always liked him as a player and I think you've seem me praise the hire but it's not enough. Your fanboy view of the roster is divorced from reality. 

Go on hating them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Like I said in another quote, Kulich, Rosen or Savoie did not look like they were NHL caliber yet. It's a brand new season but I'd need to see so much more from them rather than handing them a job they didn't earn you know what I mean?

I like Scott Laughton also, he'd be a solid addition, I also like Nick Bjugstad from Utah also.

Rousek looked ok, I wasn't thrilled with his play when he came up. 

Amerks went two the Playoffs two years in a row with these guys

Sabres went HOME

29 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Go on hating them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't hate the Sabres. I hate Pegula and what he has turned this franchise into. Until it changes there's not much to love. 

I had a lot of hope with Ruff's hiring, but the last few days have sucked all of it away. It's sadness and frustration as I see another wave of young players wasted away and eventually leaving. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't hate the Sabres. I hate Pegula and what he has turned this franchise into. Until it changes there's not much to love. 

I had a lot of hope with Ruff's hiring, but the last few days have sucked all of it away. It's sadness and frustration as I see another wave of young players wasted away and eventually leaving. 

Try working on a 4 Million Dollar Lab that went down in a Electrical Storm and the Dean of a University Codes on a Room. You have to get the System back up or the Man will Die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WON!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, TRIP65 said:

Try working on a 4 Million Dollar Lab that went down in a Electrical Storm and the Dean of a University Codes on a Room. You have to get the System back up or the Man will Die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WON!!!!!!!!!!

We have sunk to doing real life stuff here now? Sports is supposed to be my happy place. Real world escapism most of the time. Don't try to take that away from me with anything serious. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

We have sunk to doing real life stuff here now? Sports is supposed to be my happy place. Real world escapism most of the time. Don't try to take that away from me with anything serious. 

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Trying to pick you up! All Ruff has to do is get in the Playoffs that accepts half the Teams

Please don't jump off the Bridge 🙃

Just now, TRIP65 said:

Trying to pick you up! All Ruff has to do is get in the Playoffs that accepts half the Teams

Please don't jump off the Bridge 🙃

No, I will just end up watching the Bruins in the playoffs like every other year (which for some fans here is worse than suicide) and they will give me some enjoyable games I think, because while that may be "all Ruff has to do" but with the line up Adams has given him it's next to impossible. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, I will just end up watching the Bruins in the playoffs like every other year (which for some fans here is worse than suicide) and they will give me some enjoyable games I think, because while that may be "all Ruff has to do" but with the line up Adams has given him it's next to impossible. 

Florida has Sabres South and they are Cup winners. Also, Great Weather

Just now, TRIP65 said:

Florida has Sabres South and they are Cup winners. Also, Great Weather

I was pulling for Florida all the way after they beat Boston. Absolutely loved the style of play they brought. I've said here that is the style we should be trying to play with all our size and speed, but so far we only do the speed part and we do not know how to defend like they did. Can Ruff change that? It won't be easy, it's a huge shift. I have no idea if he will even try. New Jersey certainly didn't play like that. 

• Like (+1) 1