Are the 24/25 Sabres a better team today then before the draft? Is this a playoff caliber roster?

GASabresIUFAN

8 minutes ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

The real question is how much better we are with Dahlin, Power, Cozens, Quinn and Peterka being a year older.  Doesn't seem like that is being brought up much at all.

Good news is we replaced Skinner, Vic, Kyle and Zemgus with players who play a much harder game. 

The team was also a year older last season and they regressed. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This isn't a playoff team and Kevyn Adams to this point in the offseason is negligent. 

I am not sure negligent is the right word.  But he is certainly responsible by way of his position.

I am pretty well set in my belief that underqualified GMs, under qualified coaches (and now a coach with a previous connection), and around the edges players in trades and UFAs are the product of a team with a reputation so bad that noone wants to be here except those that need a place to make a name for themselves.

So, not negligent, just under qualified for the enormity of the task.

And he’s doing his best lying to not come out and vocalize the deep hole Pegula has dug.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I don’t think Zucker was brought in as a Skinner replacement. That will almost definitely come in the form of a trade. If no trade transpires within a few weeks I’ll then wonder what the hell they’re doing but I have no other choice then give Adams the benefit of the doubt.

I'm very skeptical of this. Didn't happen with a draft day deal when we had draft capital to burn. Didn't happen in free agency. Now we are left with the NTC issues and other trade difficulties as the only possible option. Sure, it could still happen. We have a few months but I don't see it happening. 

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm very skeptical of this. Didn't happen with a draft day deal when we had draft capital to burn. Didn't happen in free agency. Now we are left with the NTC issues and other trade difficulties as the only possible option. Sure, it could still happen. We have a few months but I don't see it happening. 

Not 1 top 6 forward was traded in a draft pick scenario unless I'm missing 1 so that makes me think this was a pretty weak draft. I think they're more hung up on the term than the NTC, I'm not sure where I heard it (possibly WGR) but there was a guy on and talking about the Sabres in on Necas and the talk was he was willing to waive his NTC but only wanted a 1 year deal, I have not a single clue if this is just a guy trying to make a name for himself but it was Demonicis or something like that. I'd think if nothing happens in the next week it's very unlikely and to me this would be yet another wasted opportunity and season.

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here is a summary of the moves so far (NHL roster wise)

1) Skinner bought out and signs with Edm

2) RFA Malenstyn (F) acquired for the 43rd pick in the 2024 draft (but still un-signed)

3) Forwards Zucker, Lafferty & Aube-Kubel signed in free agency

4) D, Dennis Gilbert signed

5) D, Clague and Bryson re-signed

6) Girgensons, Robinson, Jost and Comrie all sign contracts elsewhere

Is the team better? Is this a playoff caliber roster?

One, We are not near Camp yet. Still things like Trades to play out Someone like Greenway may go, Krebs. Still could use another Veteran 20 goal scoring Center. I don't see a need for a Extreme get a Top 6 Forward till we see what Camp looks like. I will bet a Team will Call us with a Trade. Some Teams out there that need to get Younger and the Sabres have more Prospects then anyone!!!

13 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Better coach. Rounder lineup. No question better

And UPL/Levi leading the way

Power, Dahlin, Byram, Samuelson healthy and together for the First time

Like to trade Joki for a Top 4 Defensive D man on the right side for Byram. I like Dahlin and Powers together, Pair you can put on anyone!

Samuelson and Ryan Johnson would be a good 3rd pairing

Clifton 7th D, you can move Power to Left if someone gets injured

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Are we better? Is that a serious question? Really? 

Skinner out Zucker in. Krebs is your 3C. A new 4th line of marginal NHLers might fit the look of an NHL 4th line better but really, nobody there of note. 

The young goalies have to be good (and in UPL's case signed), the D is thin and soft overall, the young forwards have to have much better years under Ruff than they had just to even stay competitive. 

Meanwhile Boston adds Lindholm and Zadorov. Leafs add Tanev and OEL. Tampa gets a little younger swapping our Stamkos for Guentzel so they stay competitive. Florida managed to hold onto Reinhart. Only Ottawa seems as inept but even they added a top notch goalie. How the F do you think you're going to make the playoffs jumping over any of that?

And yet even Last year we Crushed many Top Teams in games. Even beat the Kraken. Goaltending and Not Replacing Quinn and Samuelsson killed us, that is Adams Fault. Eric Johnson was a Mess but I understand the pickup. This D is NOT soft. It is Dangerous with good scoring Forwards.

Last year wasn't a Waste. We learned to play D and got Great Goaltending in the Second half.

Lindy Ruff is someone I have watched since late 70's as a Player, then HC! The guy knows what he is doing and can toughen up some of the players. He also has been gone 10 years and learned a few new tricks.

I could go back and look but I am sure your one of the People claiming Krebs was great and we needed Okposo and Girgenson back.

Losing Oloffson alone betters this Team

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

For me, the issue comes down to adding either a top 6 F or 2/3 C. That still is an open issue. I'm optimistic that something happens soon on that front because the GM hasn't really given up any assets to make that higher profile acquisition to replace Mitts. As they say: TBD. 

The biggest issue after that is whether UPL can play at the same level as he did when he was healthy. And can he stay healthy? 

Levi is Ready just in case

12 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I don’t think Zucker was brought in as a Skinner replacement. That will almost definitely come in the form of a trade. If no trade transpires within a few weeks I’ll then wonder what the hell they’re doing but I have no other choice then give Adams the benefit of the doubt.

Yes and I am Optimistic 2-3 Winger/C Amerks are Ready to come up.

Almost sure Johnson comes up and Levi definitely is. Not talking about them.

12 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I’m not trying to sell you on anything. In my head they HAVE to trade for Ehlers/Necas or someone like that, it’s a must get.

I think 2/3 Center is more the Must.

We have Savoie, Rosen, Kulich, Rousek and even Benson who can play on 1st and second line

I would leave Top line last year as

Tuch  Tage  Peterka. I was thinking Peterka can go to 2nd line again but say No now. Top line must come out Firing!!!!!  Has to set the pace and Peterka is a Sure thing for 30 is he stays there and Healthy. That line was good 2nd half of Season.

I like a trade for guy like Scott Laughton for 3rd line Center

Even OK with a trade with Cozens swap Centers, add a Prospect to entice or a Top 2nd line Center and move Cozens to Wing.

Tuch  Tage  Peterka

Quinn Kulich C Cozens,   they can swap at times Cozens and Kulich at Center if stalling

Malenstyn  Benson C  Zucker   Benson Centered for Savoie, can see Savoie here next year!

Greenway  Lafferty C  Rousek (Savoie?)

Backups: Aube-Kubel  and Krebs

If we make a trade for 2/3rd line Center    GREAT

Rousek bumps to backup and Krebs is Gone!

If Quinn stalls you can bring up Savoie at some point. Quinn is 100% Healthy he goes nowhere.

Also Savoie may beat out Rousek on third line.

5 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Need a true #2 Center and another top 6 winger.  Cozens should by third line center. Team has a better bottom six but less talented top six than last year. Maybe Ruff is the X factor. 

No Cozens doesn't belong on Third line but he might be a Winger.

Play with Benson, Kulich as Centers 2nd/3rd lines. Benson Centered for Savoie

Maybe a 2nd line Center brought in on Trade.

Sabres really don't need Wingers

Every Center drafted/traded for by Sabres can play Winger except Krebs.

Krebs needs to go.

Go with now on Roster, we really have too much talent in Amerks not to bring people up. Ruff did well in NJ with young Talent.

Tuch  Tage C  Peterka  (Would not play with this line)

Quinn  Kulich C  Cozens

Malenstyn  Benson C  Savoie or Zucker

Greenway  Lafferty C  Zucker or Aube-Mitchell depending on Team played  This is a way better Veteran Line then Last year!

Backup: Rousek

Savoie might be in Amerks but I think his scoring ability is enticing on 3rd line and with Benson again. Malenstyn makes sure those guys don't get messed with and drives to Net

4 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

Yes and I am Optimistic 2-3 Winger/C Amerks are Ready to come up.

Almost sure Johnson comes up and Levi definitely is. Not talking about them.

Johnson for sure looked ready on D but I'drather see Levi spend the entire season in the AHL this year then sitting around and waiting for games but I might be in the minority here. From what I saw last year Kulich/Rosen did not look ready and who knows with Savoie but it's a brand new year.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

I think 2/3 Center is more the Must.

We have Savoie, Rosen, Kulich, Rousek and even Benson who can play on 1st and second line

I would leave Top line last year as

Tuch  Tage  Peterka. I was thinking Peterka can go to 2nd line again but say No now. Top line must come out Firing!!!!!  Has to set the pace and Peterka is a Sure thing for 30 is he stays there and Healthy. That line was good 2nd half of Season.

I like a trade for guy like Scott Laughton for 3rd line Center

Even OK with a trade with Cozens swap Centers, add a Prospect to entice or a Top 2nd line Center and move Cozens to Wing.

Tuch  Tage  Peterka

Quinn Kulich C Cozens,   they can swap at times Cozens and Kulich at Center if stalling

Malenstyn  Benson C  Zucker   Benson Centered for Savoie, can see Savoie here next year!

Greenway  Lafferty C  Rousek (Savoie?)

Backups: Aube-Kubel  and Krebs

If we make a trade for 2/3rd line Center    GREAT

Rousek bumps to backup and Krebs is Gone!

If Quinn stalls you can bring up Savoie at some point. Quinn is 100% Healthy he goes nowhere.

Also Savoie may beat out Rousek on third line.

Like I said in another quote, Kulich, Rosen or Savoie did not look like they were NHL caliber yet. It's a brand new season but I'd need to see so much more from them rather than handing them a job they didn't earn you know what I mean?

I like Scott Laughton also, he'd be a solid addition, I also like Nick Bjugstad from Utah also.

Rousek looked ok, I wasn't thrilled with his play when he came up. 

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

And UPL/Levi leading the way

Power, Dahlin, Byram, Samuelson healthy and together for the First time

Like to trade Joki for a Top 4 Defensive D man on the right side for Byram. I like Dahlin and Powers together, Pair you can put on anyone!

Samuelson and Ryan Johnson would be a good 3rd pairing

Clifton 7th D, you can move Power to Left if someone gets injured

I think you can pair Joki with a prospect or a pick for the 3C to a team with cap problems and be complete on the initial roster. Then it’s on Lindy to make the best of it and find the remaining hole for the trade deadline to address. We have a bunch of rookies on the cusp, but those are perfect for the next few years, need to address this year still no more waiting 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

This is kinda rose-tinted I think.

Aube-kubel has never played a full season in the NHL and spent time in the minors last year. Malenstyn is a career minor-leaguer who needs to prove he can repeat.

Even Lafferty has had healthy scratches.

Yes, but those three have defined grind-line roles that Ruff will use. Kulich, Rosen, and Savoie will all need to enhance their 4th line skill set to play over them. The rookie trio will have a chance to win a job from Krebs, though.

Is this a playoff caliber roster?  Rather than look at the individual parts, I like to look at what it takes to make the playoffs in terms of goal differential. Over the past 2 years, any team with a positive differential > double digits made the playoffs (3 years ago 2 teams with > +10 did not make it).  So, are the Sabres capable of getting > a +10?

Last year they were +2 (246 v 244).  The easy part is GAA. With better goal tending and team D, they should be able to get to the 2.85 range, or 234 goals against.  The big question is GF? Can they average 3 per game?  You can look at the individual parts they lost/gained, you can certainly make a case for it to be lower, but this can be offset by improving the PP. The PP was atrocious last year, as they went from top 10 (63 goals) to bottom 3 (37 goals). If they can make up for any loss of production at 5on5 with more PP goals, they are certainly capable of hitting the 246 mark again.  At +12, based on the last 3 years, the odds are > 95% for making the playoffs and 100% over the past 2 years.

Conclusion: I think this roster is capable of achieving this goal, and it will come down to improving the PP.

Aside: How in the hell did the Caps make the playoffs with a -37 differential!!??

• Like (+1) 1

A cohesive fourth line playing a certain style that Lindy envisions could have an outsized impact on things. Their play could wear down the opponent and ripple through the rest of the lines.

On the surface it's smart.

Zucker is fine. Reimer is possibly a big move bc Levi probably isn't ready. KA is willing to block a prospect. That's a pretty big change.

Lindy.

All in all these are modest steps toward some return to normalcy.

If KA can do more, it could become time to get geuinely excited. Sports is replete with examples of teams that regressed one year then jumped leaps and bounds. You'd have to have a youngin or two or three really pop, but that happens, too. The players we crave might already be here, about to shed their skin.

Cherries on top might wait for @Taro T suspected timeline to make a real push.

I'm not clinically depressed. I'll be at the home opener for sure.

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

A cohesive fourth line playing a certain style that Lindy envisions could have an outsized impact on things. Their play could wear down the opponent and ripple through the rest of the lines.

On the surface it's smart.

Zucker is fine. Reimer is possibly a big move bc Levi probably isn't ready. KA is willing to block a prospect. That's a pretty big change.

Lindy.

All in all these are modest steps toward some return to normalcy.

If KA can do more, it could become time to get geuinely excited. Sports is replete with examples of teams that regressed one year then jumped leaps and bounds. You'd have to have a youngin or two or three really pop, but that happens, too. The players we crave might already be here, about to shed their skin.

Cherries on top might wait for @Taro T suspected timeline to make a real push.

I'm not clinically depressed. I'll be at the home opener for sure.

History is also replete with teams who don't match expectations writ on paper.

None of the past 4 editions of the Sabres matched my expectations — 2 were better, 2 were worse.

Teams are complex creatures and chemistry an unpredictable beast.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

None of the past 4 editions of the Sabres matched my expectations — 2 were better, 2 were worse.

That's the fun of it and why I chafe against timelines.

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Does he skate well enough?  The other name I thought of is JG Pageau.  I think the NYI still need to trim payroll with some RFAs to re-sign and Mayfield coming off LTIR.

Plus the isles still have some of our “future considerations” due to the Boychuk contract.

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s a 23 body problem.