Are the 24/25 Sabres a better team today then before the draft? Is this a playoff caliber roster?

GASabresIUFAN

Here is a summary of the moves so far (NHL roster wise)

1) Skinner bought out and signs with Edm

2) RFA Malenstyn (F) acquired for the 43rd pick in the 2024 draft (but still un-signed)

3) Forwards Zucker, Lafferty & Aube-Kubel signed in free agency

4) D, Dennis Gilbert signed

5) D, Clague and Bryson re-signed

6) Girgensons, Olofsson, Robinson, Jost and Comrie all sign contracts elsewhere

Is the team better? Is this a playoff caliber roster?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to Are the 24/25 Sabres a better team today then before the draft? Is this a playoff caliber roster?
2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

1) Skinner bought out

2) Malenstyn (F) acquired for the 43rd pick in the 2024 draft

Is the team better?

Considering Skinner is the only piece gone & the team now has a clearly better 4th line, yes, this roster is better.

Is it good enough?  No data.  But am hoping we still see a move for that mythical 3C.  If that happens, yes the team definitely is better.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

1) Skinner bought out

2) Malenstyn (F) acquired for the 43rd pick in the 2024 draft

For me, the issue comes down to adding either a top 6 F or 2/3 C. That still is an open issue. I'm optimistic that something happens soon on that front because the GM hasn't really given up any assets to make that higher profile acquisition to replace Mitts. As they say: TBD. 

The biggest issue after that is whether UPL can play at the same level as he did when he was healthy. And can he stay healthy? 

• Like (+1) 1

Based on the fancy stats of the players we got and the possibilities suggested by those fancy stats, I'm not disappointed in the way the bottom six was re-tooled. I fully expect Krebs and Kulich to compete for the 3C position, assuming Krebs isn't traded away (which I hope he is). If Krebs doesn't win it he literally has no role on this roster.

As others have noted, we now have Lindy, which between the bottom six changes and Lindy's system, such as it may be, we will be a completely different team before even considering our top six.

The top six won't change excepting perhaps the addition of a big gun - if available at a price Adams can swallow.  Without Skinner, both lines ought to be more responsible outside their zone generally, and, generally, the offensive zone production ought to pick up from last season's regression, especially if you include a healthy Quinn. Lindy's influence ought to change how they execute in the offensive zone; ideally establishing a more consistent net-front presence and a (dare I add "substantially") improved PP.

We knew Adams likes his top six and I don't disagree we ought to expect more out of them than we saw last year, therefore not shocked or upset that, so far, a big gun addition hasn't manifested. Even without such an addition, I expect improvements.

The D has been set since the trade deadline, so no surprises there. Goal-tending shook out over the course of last season so, again, no surprises there.

Are we a Stanley Cup team? You never know, likely not. Are we a playoff bound team? I think it's reasonable, even as things stand right now, to have that expectation.

Edited by ...
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

Are we better? Is that a serious question? Really? 

Skinner out Zucker in. Krebs is your 3C. A new 4th line of marginal NHLers might fit the look of an NHL 4th line better but really, nobody there of note. 

The young goalies have to be good (and in UPL's case signed), the D is thin and soft overall, the young forwards have to have much better years under Ruff than they had just to even stay competitive. 

Meanwhile Boston adds Lindholm and Zadorov. Leafs add Tanev and OEL. Tampa gets a little younger swapping our Stamkos for Guentzel so they stay competitive. Florida managed to hold onto Reinhart. Only Ottawa seems as inept but even they added a top notch goalie. How the F do you think you're going to make the playoffs jumping over any of that?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • dislike 1

28 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Skinner out Zucker in. Krebs is your 3C. A new 4th line of marginal NHLers might fit the look of an NHL 4th line better but really, nobody there of note. 

The young goalies have to be good (and in UPL's case signed), the D is thin and soft overall, the young forwards have to have much better years under Ruff than they had just to even stay competitive. 

Meanwhile Boston adds Lindholm and Zadorov. Leafs add Tanev and OEL. Tampa gets a little younger swapping our Stamkos for Guentzel so they stay competitive. Florida managed to hold onto Reinhart. Only Ottawa seems as inept but even they added a top notch goalie. How the F do you think you're going to make the playoffs jumping over any of that?

I don’t think Zucker was brought in as a Skinner replacement. That will almost definitely come in the form of a trade. If no trade transpires within a few weeks I’ll then wonder what the hell they’re doing but I have no other choice then give Adams the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by GoPuckYourself
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoPuckYourself said:

I don’t think Zucker was brought in as a Skinner replacement. That will almost definitely come in the form of a trade. If no trade transpires within a few weeks I’ll then wonder what the hell they’re doing but I have no other choice then give Adams the benefit of the doubt.

Zucker is a huge overpay and a 1 year deal. I have to think this was a plan B deal when a plan A fell through. Who that is idk, maybe Bertuzzi or DeBrusk. If it was a plan A deal I'd think more term. 

• Agree 1
  • dislike 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Zucker is a huge overpay and a 1 year deal. I have to think this was a plan B deal when a plan A fell through. Who that is idk, maybe Bertuzzi or DeBrusk. If it was a plan A deal I'd think more term. 

I’m not trying to sell you on anything. In my head they HAVE to trade for Ehlers/Necas or someone like that, it’s a must get.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

1) Skinner bought out

2) RFA Malenstyn (F) acquired for the 43rd pick in the 2024 draft (but still un-signed)

Hard to say. Bit worse on O but better on D prob. Sort of a status quo overall so far with a shift in the means slightly 

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Too close to call.  

Our bottom 6 now has depth.  Our top 6 is as thin as Canadian shield topsoil.  Any injuries in the top 6 and this roster is severely lacking in players well suited to step up.

And we are still 1 center short.

This is a very astute post.  Zucker and Greenway can play up, but that's not a very preferable option.  The current reliance on the development of Krebs is just not smart.  I say current reliance as there is still a possibility that KA somehow manages to trade some prospects for a real top 9 center.  

The depth signings are fine.  I like the new tougher and faster 4th line, but they aren't enough to cover up a 3rd line of Zucker, Greenway and Krebs. 

This team is now 2 2nd lines with 2 4th lines.  Not exactly a winning combo.  

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Hard to say. Bit worse on O but better on D prob. Sort of a status quo overall so far with a shift in the means slightly 

Not exactly the aggressive moves to make the Sabres into a playoff team.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

But at least our players want to be here.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is a very astute post.  Zucker and Greenway can play up, but that's not a very preferable option.  The current reliance on the development of Krebs is just not smart.  I say current reliance is that there is still a possibility that KA somehow manages to trade some prospects for a real top 9 center.  

The depth signings are fine.  I like the new tougher and faster 4th line, but they aren't enough to cover up a 3rd line of Zucker, Greenway and Krebs. 

This team is now 2 2nd lines with 2 4th lines.  Not exactly a winning combo.  

Not exactly the aggressive moves to make the Sabres into a playoff team.

Looks more less like the moves of retaining a playoff spot