Sabres Sign Defensemen Dennis Gilbert and Jacob Bryson

Brawndo

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Obviously you don't follow RFAs very well.  In the news today, Shane Pinto, an RFA, has been unable to reach a new contract with Ottawa and has requested a trade.  Don't assume anything.  Maybe that's too hard a concept for you.

And? He is still their property with no other option than to sign or sit out. Your one example is a rumor. Now disproven. BTW requesting a trade and being traded, very different things.

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding about how RFA works. They are property of team unless they are signed to offer sheet which close to never happens. Player has no option other than to not sign and sit out. The deadline to non-tender RFA has passed so all our RFA's will be with Sabres unless they are traded. So.... 

2 minutes ago, Night Train said:

St. Joe's  

I heard Adams call him “Gibby” in his presser.

Does Adams know the player from when he was a pee wee at Harborcenter? (And Adams was managing hockey camps there?)

Any relation to … former (ahem) Sabres PR officer Mike Gilbert?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I heard Adams call him “Gibby” in his presser.

Does Adams know the player from when he was a pee wee at Harborcenter? (And Adams was managing hockey camps there?)

Any relation to … former (ahem) Sabres PR officer Mike Gilbert?

Yikes !!

That's all.  That's the post.

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

There are, but how is signing another guy for the Amerks or to be the 8 should Henri go away one of them?

It has hints of one of Pegula’s worst tendencies: “I know that guy. Good guy. Let’s hire that guy.” 

Adams was gushing at his press conference about having lots of Junior Sabres on the ice today.

I don’t give a sh1t about that, Kevyn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not EVERYBODY associated w/ the Pegulas nor Sabres suck at their jobs.

I’m not saying that’s the case.

But when your favourite team’s GM — whose main credential before becoming the team’s GM was managing the owner’s hockey facility — is using familiar nicknames with a hometown signing and extolling the local junior hockey team …

It just seems so small-minded. So parochial.

A 13 year playoff drought will do that to a guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

But when your favourite team’s GM — whose main credential before becoming the team’s GM was managing the owner’s hockey facility — is using familiar nicknames with a hometown signing and extolling the local junior hockey team …

He’s been GM for four years now. Sooner or later that has to count for something.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

But isn’t that mindset larger than just Adams and Terry?  Maybe more so than other GMs and owners but I recall a few administrations touting the Buffalo born players - Kaleta, Kennedy, and Foligno.  Buffalo IS a small town and is parochial.  
 I think it’s possible this is a nice story AND could help add the grit that has been missing.  This was a super low risk move with moderate reward.  Maybe some marketing BS, but I think this was a Lindy decision as well.  Adams had every chance to do this two years and did not pursue the player. 

I for one am thrilled that the ONLY Buffalo born player on this team is Gilbert.  Not a Pat Kane fan whatsoever.  Scoring and playoff experience notwithstanding this team needs an attitude change.  I can’t wait to see Ruff bench one of his starting D men to play Gilbert when to the bells tolls.  And he will answer. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SDS said:

He’s been GM for four years now. Sooner or later that has to count for something.

This struck me as such a sad thing. 

“The bad news is, your team hired a totally unqualified person to serve as GM. The good news is, he’s going to stick around for so long that eventually he'll have some idea of how to do the job.”

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

It’s counting in the same way Murray and JB’s GM experience counted in their pursuit for another GM job so far 

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

This struck me as such a sad thing. 

“The bad news is, your team hired a totally unqualified person to serve as GM. The good news is, he’s going to stick around for so long that eventually he'll have some idea of how to do the job.”

If you guys want to take a negative view on this, then whatever. But at some point when a dude spends four years in a Tijuana brothel, the criticism of being a teenager fumbling in the dark is no longer applicable.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

If you guys want to take a negative view on this, then whatever. But at some point when a dude spends four years in a Tijuana brothel, the criticism of being a teenager fumbling in the dark is no longer applicable.

I can think of a number of real world instances where someone unqualified to assume a role never progresses enough to actually be qualified.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’ll admit to being stuck in a crisis of confidence regarding Adams.

As for your metaphor of choice: Are we on the brink of Kevyn making sweet, sweet love to us? Or should we be concerned that he’s contracted debilitating venereal diseases? Both?

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

I can think of a number of real world instances where someone unqualified to assume a role never progresses enough to actually be qualified.

But a teenage virgin can eventually f**k like a champ.

7 hours ago, SDS said:

I’m not really trying to be negative. I’m just pointing out that I’m not sure how well “experience” serves him going forward if he’s not proving to be adept at handling the position. Is it better to be an incompetent adult than a teenager fumbling in the dark? That’s the comp so far 

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m not really trying to be negative. I’m just pointing out that I’m not sure how well “experience” serves him going forward if he’s not proving to be adept at handling the position. Is it better to be an incompetent adult than a teenager fumbling in the dark? That’s the comp so far 

I would say your competence figure of merit is skewed. And that’s without knowing the exact constraints that are put upon him by ownership. And I think it’s pretty well-known we’ve been operating under an internal cap for the last several years. If he were truly incompetent… truly incompetent by the definition of the word, we would be DFL year after year.