Sabres Sign Defensemen Dennis Gilbert and Jacob Bryson

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Sign Defensemen Dennis Gilbert and Jacob Bryson

And as many suspected, Jacob tested the waters and came home.

Curious as to the pay cut.

I seem to remember a few of you extremely pissed we took somebody over Gilbert in his draft year.

With these 2, the Clague signing and Ryan Johnson it seems like the defence is set, pending what happens with Jokiharju.

Edited by dudacek

18 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Bryson is a perfectly cromulent 8D, which is why you don’t tender a qualifying offer and let him test the market. If he comes back on 7/13 and says “I like Buffalo and Rochester. I’ll take that 2-way $850k.” Then you sign him up.

In the meantime, it’s Novikov time in Rochester.

Bryson cromulence achieved! Sooner than expected.

Realize Bryson, Gilbert and Clague are spare parts but the Sabres now have 8 D on 1-way contracts, in addition to Johnson on a 2-way and Jokiharju unsigned.

Adams made a point of talking about how depth is needed, so that’s probably all this is, but it certainly puts them in a position to flip Johnson or Jokiharju if they so desire.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Dahlin, Power, Mule, Clifton, Byram, Gilbert and Byrson.  Who is the 8th?  Clague is a 2-way deal and Johnson's on an ELC.

I saw Clague as a 1-way. My mistake.

I think the point still stands.

Edited by dudacek

56 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

LOL, what a binary world you live in. Do we need to replace UPL? He is not signed? Krebs? 

You act like it's a sure thing that UPL and Joki will be back. It's not.  Both are arbitration eligible RFAs.  If they go to player elected arbitration, the team can walk away from the ruling.  These are rare but do happen (see Tim Kennedy).  Also they can also be included in trade before a contract is signed (see Beck Malensytn).

Until the contract is signed, that player is not officially on the roster no matter how much you want to pencil him in.   

• Agree 1
  • dislike 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You act like it's a sure thing that UPL and Joki will be back. It's not.  Both are arbitration eligible RFAs.  If they go to player elected arbitration, the team can walk away from the ruling.  These are rare but do happen (see Tim Kennedy).  Also they can also be included in trade before a contract is signed (see Beck Malensytn).

Until the contract is signed, that player is not officially on the roster no matter how much you want to pencil him in.   

So we need to sign a starting level goalie right away in case Tim Kennedy scenario happens. Got it. Once the Sabres are back into communication after watching the development camp let them know. 

• Vomit 1

4 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

So we need to sign a starting level goalie right away in case Tim Kennedy scenario happens. Got it. Once the Sabres are back into communication after watching the development camp let them know. 

Obviously you don't follow RFAs very well.  In the news today, Shane Pinto, an RFA, has been unable to reach a new contract with Ottawa and has requested a trade.  Don't assume anything.  Maybe that's too hard a concept for you.

• Agree 1