Sabres Sign Jason Zucker to a One Year 5 Million AAV Deal

Brawndo

Hockey IQ.  I think its a term we use when a guy may not have elite, or very good 'raw' skills that are visible, but he is vey successful. 

A guy may not be that fast like Pavel Bure or Petr Bondra. Not be that big/tall like Eric Lindros. Doesn't have the hardest shot like Brett Hull or Al MacInnis. Doesn't stick handle so well that he has that 'puck-on-a-stick' thing when he carries it like Mario Lemieux.   When you see a guy like that but he nets 30+ goals every year, is one of the better +/- guys on your team, is put out there by his coach in all situations, and his production helps you win...well, we just assign a 'high hockey iq' to them to explain their success despite the lack of visible elite skill.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Are people really locking the concept of hockey iq?  Some players can process the game and see ahead. Others can’t. It’s a thing. Krebs doesn’t have it 

Jack Quinn has hockey IQ. I'd like ppl to tell me which skill of his is so mediocre. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Are people really locking the concept of hockey iq?  Some players can process the game and see ahead. Others can’t. It’s a thing. Krebs doesn’t have it 

It gets better with maturity. Brandon Montour is an example of a guy who just saw the game better as he matured

19 hours ago, Taro T said:

Of course, in a few situations that's actually true.  Different sport, but Jim Kelly has a tremendous "Football IQ."  But he comes across as dumber than a stump.

FWIW, I never thought of Jimbo as dumb – but certainly a grade A  meathead.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It gets better with maturity. Brandon Montour is an example of a guy who just saw the game better as he matured

Being on a great team didn't hurt, either. We'll see what version of BM Seattle gets.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

The game slow downs as players get older and get used to the pace. They also learn what they are capable of and learn what type of plays they need to make to stay in the league so they simplify things.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Does/did Kelly in fact possess a tremendous football IQ?

I think the Bills would have a Super Bowl if he did.

Jeremy Jacobs somewhat infamously confessed to a group of colleagues that he marveled at how … well … how dumb Ray Borque was. 

I presume that Borque had excellent hockey IQ?

Kelly definitely had a high football IQ. He was calling his own plays. However, to put it in hockey terms, the team didn’t hate to lose or didn’t have high compete.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I have to say he was much better in last years playoffs than he was this year.  Didn't do much and I believe lost his role on PP1 eventually 

--------

Here is why Zucker is a much better need for this team that Jeff Skinner playing down the lineu

“I’m not afraid to be at the net, stand at the net and kind of take a  beating net-front throughout a game. I think I have a knack around the net, too.”  Quote not by Skinner. 

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Given Lindy’s focus is both defense first and net front presence second, this players fits that mold whereas that’s the anti thesis for Skinner 

You don't think Skinner went to the net front? Anyone have his shot map?

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Skinner’s failings are known.

Dude went to the net like a fu**ing maniac.

He went to the net chasing loose pucks.

How many times do you remember him driving the net with the puck, shoulder first against a defender?

How many times hard without the puck with a man on him off the rush trying to beat the guy to the post, or create a lane for the trailer?

How many times eating crosschecks to create a screen or a tip?

He goes to net when the puck is there and he has a gap to exploit. His game is about creating chances for Jeff. 

It’s an asset and he’’s good at what he does, but his net game is mostly lurk and lunge. He doesn’t supply the other elements of the net front game that I think @triumph_communes is referring to.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

He went to the net chasing loose pucks.

Yeah - that’s all I really meant. He scored a lot of dirty goals.

Good summary of additional deficiencies in, limitations of his game.

Edited by That Aud Smell

10 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I think it will be very interesting to see what Montour does away from the tightly knit Florida system which allowed him to excel as the puck mover in the unit. Seattle does not have that type of structure so I expect there will be a huge drop off next year. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You don't think Skinner went to the net front? Anyone have his shot map?

There's a difference between going to the net and making things happen in front of the net. 

Skinner refused to play D though. He's cost us as many goals against as he's scored, if not more. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think it will be very interesting to see what Montour does away from the tightly knit Florida system which allowed him to excel as the puck mover in the unit. Seattle does not have that type of structure so I expect there will be a huge drop off next year. 

There already is a drop off in his game. He had 73 points in 80 games last year and 33 in 66 this year.

He is 30 years old, already past his prime. Good for him for cashing in.

Teams were spending like drunken sailors because the cap went up a few million. There will be some regrets.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

There already is a drop off in his game. He had 73 points in 80 games last year and 33 in 66 this year.

He is 30 years old, already past his prime. Good for him for cashing in.

Teams were spending like drunken sailors because the cap went up a few million. There will be some regrets.

Seattle did make 2 suspect moves that's for sure. Not sure what their plan is there. With elevating Bylsma it looked like they were going to go with lots of Coachella players but then they give way too much term to 2 aging guys, strange. I mean they will be better than they were for 3-4 years so maybe that's worth it. It's certainly more aggressive than what the Sabres are doing. 

I don't think I have much more to say on free agency but I think my disappointment is best summed up by us signing Zucker for 5 million while Monahan goes to Columbus for a mere .5 more. Sure maybe he wants to play with Johnny Hockey or something but the money difference is small and what he'd have added in terms of filling a need is so huge it just drills home the failure. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.