Sabres Sign Jason Zucker to a One Year 5 Million AAV Deal

Brawndo

He isn't a bad hockey player but to me this screams fall back after missing out on an actual top forward who either didn't want to come here or moved above their price for that player (maybe a DeBrusk or a Bertuzzi, Stephenson, etc.)  So a 1 year deal and we will no doubt end up flipping him at the deadline. 

After watching that full video there's a few things to like - he scores from a lot of different places  - ripping one-timers, greasy net front goals, some finesse dekes, however part of me wonders how much of these were Zucker instead of Malkin doing much of the work to pull away defenders and allowing Zucker to find the space. 

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s true we seem to have a Casey sized hole on the roster, and I’m not sure people would be saying we had a Byram sized hole sans that particular asset 

could be wrong 

Had Bryam gone out injured after 5 games, they just might.

As it was, he was healthy all year (for the Sabres portion of his season at least).

But aren't people wanting a better 4D than Jokiharju?  That's similar to wanting better than Krebs at 3C.  (Not completely analogous because Byram, Clifton, Samuelsson, or Johnson could be.)

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Are you ok? I have the number to a great call-in therapy service, and you can have my time slot.

Call 803-0550, 3:15pm, you can try daily, but they are a bit booked, every 3rd day should do.

I'm good, just pessimistic on the team lol

8 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Are you ok? I have the number to a great call-in therapy service, and you can have my time slot.

Call 803-0550, 3:15pm, you can try daily, but they are a bit booked, every 3rd day should do.

There are some really annoying posters at times on this board, including me. In all the arguments I have gotten with here with everyone, and there have been some big ones, I have never, ever blocked anyone.  This guy Rasmus...he is so intolerable he's going to be the first one.  If you are so freakin' miserable about this team and everyone associated...just leave...stop bringing everyone else down with you already.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Thanks (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

People excited by Jason Zucker, need to definitely come to grips with never making the playoffs again. 

Is there anyone excited by Zucker?

Is the team is better than it was last year, who knows?

But it looks better than it did this morning. Can I have that, at least?

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Had Bryam gone out injured after 5 games, they just might.

As it was, he was healthy all year (for the Sabres portion of his season at least).

But aren't people wanting a better 4D than Jokiharju?  That's similar to wanting better than Krebs at 3C.  (Not completely analogous because Byram, Clifton, Samuelsson, or Johnson could be.)

I’m pretty old fashioned but 3C might be my most valued position after 1 and 2 C, and 1 and 2 D 

Particularly because we should presumably be able to pair joki with a FIRST OVERALL PICK regardless 

let’s be real, zucker and greenway need to be buoyed by a nice C they aren’t good enough to turn a 4 into a 3

Joki can be propped up. Nothing is propping up the 3rd line right now 

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

No 

you get a lump of Eric Cole 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Agree. Another deal that’s totally fine, but nonetheless leaves the sum total appearing lacking 

At least for now 

Agreed.  But I think we’ve reasonably improved our bottom 6 and depth to the point that we’re one big move from a decent to nice offseason.  Obviously we need to see that last big move come to fruition tho. 

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

They look harder to play against, perhaps more mature and from what some posters are saying, faster. 

It's up to the core group we have to do their job

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think your 3D is more important than your 3C, but the discussion is worth having.

And where should your 3C rank compared to your wings?

I had Casey as the Sabres 5F at the start of last season.

I don’t have 3 and 4 D as all that important tbh relative to some of the other F positions. Look at Edmonton’s D, it’s a “just get the puck to the forwards” league nowadays 

Again, D pairings are often buoyed by one player, who does the heavy lifting, and a complementary piece. We can debate which position is most important in general but on THIS team, if 3 and 4 D are critical, we’ve already lost. We have *two first overall pick* assets at 1, and 2. They should be on different pairs. If these guys aren’t carrying their pairs we are in trouble. Our entire goodwill capital, the reason we’ll be good when we are good is Dahlin and Power. It’s been decided since we took Owen 1

- - - 

3C on this team is more important 

should be a matchups guy, which is prob their second or third most important F depending on what we get from Cozens 

13 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Agreed.  But I think we’ve reasonably improved our bottom 6 and depth to the point that we’re one big move from a decent to nice offseason.  Obviously we need to see that last big move come to fruition tho. 

We’ve improved the bottom 6 but the biggest flaw of the bottom 6 is still there

id take the “we fixed the bottom 6 so leaving the top 6 untouched is ok” tact, too,  if we fixed the bottom 6. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think your 3D is more important than your 3C, but the discussion is worth having.

And where should your 3C rank compared to your wings?

I had Casey as the Sabres 5F at the start of last season.

Where would you rank his replacement, Krebs, on the current roster? 10th, 11th?

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He isn't a bad hockey player but to me this screams fall back after missing out on an actual top forward who either didn't want to come here or moved above their price for that player (maybe a DeBrusk or a Bertuzzi, Stephenson, etc.)  So a 1 year deal and we will no doubt end up flipping him at the deadline. 

Yeah, Zucker has always been kind of a poor man's Pominville. Second/third line guy who gets top 6 minutes because he's healthy (because of play style) and skill. But he's never going to be a top line threat.

You know when this move would've been perfect? Last year. When Zucker was a UFA and you needed a temporary 2/3W to complete the lineup until Quinn returned from injury. Most of today's Sabres signings are a year late.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

Krebs is 3C so far

- - - 

These additions look reasonable so far, we should have a good 4th line.

Im not sure I’d bet on additions beyond shoring up that line, though, tbh. We said the Skinner buyout only makes sense if they spend the money, 5 mil for Zucker will help get there 

We might have two fourth lines at this rate. Still no 2C on the roster. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Yeah, Zucker has always been kind of a poor man's Pominville. Second/third line guy who gets top 6 minutes because he's healthy (because of play style) and skill. But he's never going to be a top line threat.

You know when this move would've been perfect? Last year. When Zucker was a UFA and you needed a temporary 2/3W to complete the lineup until Quinn returned from injury. Most of today's Sabres signings are a year late.

This hurts.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

We might have two fourth lines at this rate. Still no 2C on the roster. 

Lots of what Adams said today just seems utterly awful, he’s so hard to listen to.

But I won’t judge the book by that putrid cover: I still think his moves look good if we get the one key addition, at least.

You can smell his presser from here, but if he adds the guys he adds the guys. We’ll see how the rest of the week goes

mixed bag so far 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Lots of what Adams said today just seems utterly awful, he’s so hard to listen to.

But I won’t judge the book by that putrid cover: I still think his moves look good if we get the one key addition, at least.

You can smell his presser from here, but if he adds the guys he adds the guys. We’ll see how the rest of the week goes

mixed bag so far 

Mixed bag?   You are too kind.  

• Like (+1) 1