Sabres Sign Jason Zucker to a One Year 5 Million AAV Deal

Brawndo

11 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

$5M was an overpay, but it's only for 1 year, so it has no long-term salary cap implications.  The guy is a solid veteran player who has played a long time in the league, scored some goals, plays a solid 2-way game and has playoff experience.   He's exactly what the team needed.  If the team makes the playoffs this season, it will be easier to sign guys in the future to more reasonable contracts.

For those of us who were born and raised in Buffalo, and those who have lived there/live there now, we know what a great place it is.  Many Sabres players agree and make it there permanent home after their Sabres career ends.  That said, to convince someone unfamiliar with the area to choose to come to the city, and to play for a team with the longest playoff drought in professional sports history, the team is going to have to overpay.  The Bills suffered that problem for years.  Then, they put a competent coaching staff and front office in place, drafted a great QB, started winning games and making the playoffs every year, and now they have no problem signing guys.  If the Sabres can turn it around, the same will happen.

You're thinking of a player from at least 3-4 years ago.  He was lost in translation last year.  Character and grit are fine with players like Lafferty, settling for trash like this is why we're going to miss the playoffs again.

Just now, #freejame said:

People will point to this money spent as proof Pegula is willing to spend to win. That’s worth a hand wring. 

It's more that he's trying to save face for Pegula, who gets hammered by the fanbase.  I hope he takes it, and finally realizes, WE DO NOT WANT HIM.  He's ruined our team.

• Disagree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I think every post of yours is either Adams sucks or something about Mittelstadt

Adams does suck, but I’ve said very nice things about both the Zucker and Lafferty signings.  

Do you think our 3rd line center position has been adequately filled since the Mitts trade? 

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who is your 3rd line center?  Krebs? Kulich? Savoie? Bob the Builder? Do those guys make the Sabres better than with Mitts?  

Mitts is not a 3C. See: Colorado Avalanche.

I don't make roster decisions for the Sabres so it doesn't matter who I think our 3C could be, but it wouldn't surprise me if KA is banking on Kulich taking that roll. And, no, I don't know what he does with Krebs. I hope Krebs is jettisoned from the team so people stop being distracted by his presence.

Edited by ...

1 minute ago, Rasmus_ said:

You're thinking of a player from at least 3-4 years ago.  He was lost in translation last year.  Character and grit are fine with players like Lafferty, settling for trash like this is why we're going to miss the playoffs again.

He actually was rather good in the playoffs this past year. Plus its one year for a depth forward with a ton of experience; it's better than paying some random player 5x6mil for the same role and output

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Have to overpay to get players to come here.  Disappointing, but no surprise.  Adams probably gave him a NMC so he can’t get anything for him at the deadline

We carry a ton of free cap, I am OK with over paying on cap for a one year deal. I have little interest in overpaying on term. 

If we have to overpay cash for 1 and 2 year deals, so be it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Adams does suck, but I’ve said very nice things about both the Zucker and Lafferty signings.  

Do you think our 3rd line center position has been adequately filled since the Mitts trade? 

He did nothing, and continues to do nothing.  We'll enter the year with Krebs as our 3C and a re-signed Girgensons as our fourth C.  With some ***** and ***** story that they tried.  Do something, or get the ***** out.  There is no, we don't want to rush the process.  You've had 5 years, put up or get out, you gutless coward. 

Edited by Rasmus_
  • Eyeroll 2
  • dislike 1

42 minutes ago, Night Train said:

14 G  18 A last year is AOK for the 3rd line. No issues. Could care less what his salary is for 1 year. 

Like his playoff experience and age. We need a couple more grown men to show our kids how to navigate an 82 game season plus the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Right? If it was 3 years at the price I would hate. One year? Whatever

27 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Overpaid for 1 year, not really anything to wring your hands over

What's sad is that they had cap room for this type of move last season, and the season before that. Say a Tarasenko last season. Or anyone in 22-23 to help get that extra point in the standings that might've made the Sabres an attractive UFA landing spot.

Zucker as a one-year option is fine.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

What's sad is that they had cap room for this type of move last season, and the season before that. Say a Tarasenko last season. Or anyone in 22-23 to help get that extra point in the standings that might've made the Sabres an attractive UFA landing spot.

Zucker as a one-year option is fine.

Our last coach wouldn’t know how to use them though

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Malkin's line mate, that's a pretty good endorsement for him right there. 

1 hour ago, Rasmus_ said:

He did nothing, and continues to do nothing.  We'll enter the year with Krebs as our 3C and a re-signed Girgensons as our fourth C.  With some ***** and ***** story that they tried.  Do something, or get the ***** out.  There is no, we don't want to rush the process.  You've had 5 years, put up or get out, you gutless coward. 

image.png.2a357eb3017bdbf4004c6e86a09b9888.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

So those 27 goals were just 2 seasons ago.

Showed good, darting quickness and goal scorer's hands there, and some fire.

And think he's got more give-and-go, and forecheck to his game than (bad*) Skinner did, and can supply some finishing off the cycle that we were lacking last year.

I seem to remember him with some net-front PP effectiveness too, but I think that was back in his Minny days?

Can good chemistry with Malkin translate to good chemistry with Tage?

Can his finishing skills unlock some of Krebs playmaking on line 3?

Is his overall game and fit a plus compared to Skinner's in a middle-six role in the style Lindy wants to play? You're going to get more hits and blocked shots, is the boost on D enough to offset the loss in O?

All of this is predicated on the idea he's not done.

Any one know his story last year?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Which is why trading Mitts because the projected cost when you ended up buying out Jeff Skinner makes a whole lot less sense.

It’s true we seem to have a Casey sized hole on the roster, and I’m not sure people would be saying we had a Byram sized hole sans that particular asset 

could be wrong