Sabres Sign Jason Zucker to a One Year 5 Million AAV Deal

Brawndo

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The guy had 34 pts last year, including 14 goals. It’s about a $1 mill over payment. 

He'll be expected to move between the second and fourth lines, depending on need. KA: "guys who can do that don't come cheap."

$5M was an overpay, but it's only for 1 year, so it has no long-term salary cap implications.  The guy is a solid veteran player who has played a long time in the league, scored some goals, plays a solid 2-way game and has playoff experience.   He's exactly what the team needed.  If the team makes the playoffs this season, it will be easier to sign guys in the future to more reasonable contracts.

For those of us who were born and raised in Buffalo, and those who have lived there/live there now, we know what a great place it is.  Many Sabres players agree and make it there permanent home after their Sabres career ends.  That said, to convince someone unfamiliar with the area to choose to come to the city, and to play for a team with the longest playoff drought in professional sports history, the team is going to have to overpay.  The Bills suffered that problem for years.  Then, they put a competent coaching staff and front office in place, drafted a great QB, started winning games and making the playoffs every year, and now they have no problem signing guys.  If the Sabres can turn it around, the same will happen.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, LTS said:

Theoretically... assuming he has any interest in signing in Buffalo. Perhaps he has no interest.

Maybe.  We'll see what he ends up signing for elsewhere.  Hard for me to imagine he wouldn't take a 5x5 to sign here.  That would be an overpay, but he would make us better now than Zucker will make us, and you can figure out next year...next year. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ... said:

He'll be expected to move between the second and fourth lines, depending on need. KA: "guys who can do that don't come cheap."

Good thing he traded Mitts.  Don’t want a guy who can play lines 1-3 at center or wing.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Archie Lee said:

Maybe.  We'll see what he ends up signing for elsewhere.  Hard for me to imagine he wouldn't take a 5x5 to sign here.  That would be an overpay, but he would make us better now than Zucker will make us, and you can figure out next year...next year. 

I agree they still seemed focused on the LT cap 

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Good thing he traded Mitts.  Don’t want a guy who can play lines 1-3 at center or wing.

Sure but then we’re in that D market instead no?  Some pretty ‘interesting’ D signings today that I’m glad we’re not having to partake in. 

Just now, triumph_communes said:

Zucker is a good veteran with an injury history but only signed to one year. These guys always go for the 2-4 year anchor contracts and we got him on one.  If his wheels fall off who cares. You really can’t hate this deal

Agree. Another deal that’s totally fine, but nonetheless leaves the sum total appearing lacking 

At least for now 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

In a grotesque way, I'm kind of glad this is how that transformation occurs. I maintain that committing to Mitts would have been the wrong move for this Sabres roster. 

• Disagree 1

Just now, ... said:

In a grotesque way, I'm kind of glad this is how that transformation occurs. I maintain that committing to Mitts would have been the wrong move for this Sabres roster. 

Who is your 3rd line center?  Krebs? Kulich? Savoie? Bob the Builder? Do those guys make the Sabres better than with Mitts?  

• Like (+1) 1

Its not a big deal, but not sure what to think.  Can he still bring 20+ goals like he has in the past? or with age/injuries has he lost enough where that isn't possible?

If he can give you 16-22 goals with 15-17 minutes of ice time, I'm good with it, especially if only for 1 year.

I think he's here for the 3rd line with the possible ability to jump up to the 2nd line in case of injuries. He's not that fast, doesn't seem to have a reputation as a stellar defensive guy, will throw a couple hits but not a big part of his game either. I don't think he is the guy you want on a 4th line, he's 3rd line or bust.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Krebs is 3C so far

- - - 

These additions look reasonable so far, we should have a good 4th line.

Im not sure I’d bet on additions beyond shoring up that line, though, tbh. We said the Skinner buyout only makes sense if they spend the money, 5 mil for Zucker will help get there