Sabres Sign Jason Zucker to a One Year 5 Million AAV Deal

Brawndo

On 7/5/2024 at 2:18 PM, JohnC said:

Do not over-imbibe. We need a sober report from your Sabre connections. 🍺

On 7/5/2024 at 2:41 PM, kas23 said:

But he needs to make sure he gets blasted enough to tell us the stuff people told him not to share. 

On 7/5/2024 at 2:55 PM, kas23 said:

Fair enough. He should take meticulous notes during the party or write them down once he gets home. No drinking. The next morning, get blasted, go on to SS, and let loose. 

On 7/5/2024 at 3:09 PM, Cityo'Rasmii said:

Just provide them with beverages that loosen them up lol

Some info I’m willing to share a little of from older connected folks:

- As suspected, there was no coaching search.  It started and ended with Lindy.  
- Lindy working his tail, and everyone else’s, very hard right now. 
- Lindy has a big say in roster reconstruction.  Much more than the previous guys, but the store was closed on the previous guys. 
- They still have big problems getting players to come here.  Not viewed as serious about winning.   
- Lots of love for Dudley.  Not just for winning but his entire career as player, coach, and FO.  Some disdain/regret about Sabres not utilizing him.   They say his knowledge runs deep. 
- Not spending to cap is still the plan, saving $ for our own.  Slow rebuild continues.  Counting on best players to improve.  
- More confidence about improving team play under Lindy  

Not much else.  Mostly polite silence on current regime. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Some info I’m willing to share a little of from older connected folks:

- As suspected, there was no coaching search.  It started and ended with Lindy.  
- Lindy working his tail, and everyone else’s, very hard right now. 
- Lindy has a big say in roster reconstruction.  Much more than the previous guys, but the store was closed on the previous guys. 
- They still have big problems getting players to come here.  Not viewed as serious about winning.   
- Lots of love for Dudley.  Not just for winning but his entire career as player, coach, and FO.  Some disdain/regret about Sabres not utilizing him.   They say his knowledge runs deep. 
- Not spending to cap is still the plan, saving $ for our own.  Slow rebuild continues.  Counting on best players to improve.  
- More confidence about improving team play under Lindy  

Not much else.  Mostly polite silence on current regime. 

Thank you for giving us a clear-headed (sober) report from your sources. Not you can go back to mingling and having another brew or two. 🍺

My main takeaways from your comments are the Lindy influence and the determination to mostly stay the course. Is it the right pathway? @GASabresIUFAN doesn't think so. I'm simply not sure. This Pegula franchise put itself on a long and bumpy road, and now it is difficult to change directions. TBD.

Edited by JohnC
  • Haha (+1) 1

Thanks for the insight Punch. Though it does raise my ire even more. I wrote this in another thread early this past season. If the Sabres were underperforming KA should have made the change at the break. Especially, now in hindsight, Lindy was available and the apple of Kevin’s eye. It would have given Ruff ~ half a season to evaluate the roster from behind the bench and in the room. Maybe more importantly, he could have started to implement his system on the fly last season and not early this season when a good start will be imperative. But KA was probably more concerned with not ‘doing DG wrong’. 

Edited by JustOneParade
not

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Slow rebuild?  Maybe, but we just turned over nearly half our forward ranks (and maybe more before the season starts).  Doesn't sound slow to me.  Slow rebuild perhaps, but Lindy's influence is giving it a kick start.

Can anyone picture Kevyn moving up to an executive POHO kind of role, and Lindy moving up to GM eventually?

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Slow rebuild?  Maybe, but we just turned over nearly half our forward ranks (and maybe more before the season starts).  Doesn't sound slow to me.  Slow rebuild perhaps, but Lindy's influence is giving it a kick start.

Can anyone picture Kevyn moving up to an executive POHO kind of role, and Lindy moving up to GM eventually?

Personally, no.  At least not the Ruff to GM part of it.  Because it makes more sense to move Karmanos into the GM role with either Adams (if things work the next 2 years) or Ruff (if they don't) in the PoHO role.

And if Adams is PoHO then Ruff ends up a "special advisor" or with some other such title.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Personally, no.  At least not the Ruff to GM part of it.  Because it makes more sense to move Karmanos into the GM role with either Adams (if things work the next 2 years) or Ruff (if they don't) in the PoHO role.

And if Adams is PoHO then Ruff ends up a "special advisor" or with some other such title.

Lindy as a special advisor would work on a lot of levels.

He could help as a Terry whisperer, be Kevin’s ear to bounce ideas off of, be a coach’s extra eye in the sky and be an ambassador.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Come on.  It’s year 5.  Finally seeing changes that are not minimum wage. Still not  ready to swim in the deep end.  

Edited by Pimlach

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I'm skeptical of any idea that assigns a full time role to Lindy after this coaching stint. My guess is that he'll be ready to retire from full-time work after this.

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Lindy as GM?   That would shock me.  Lots of business stuff to deal with, contracts, etc. 

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

If they promote from within then Karmanos is indeed the most logical one. 

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Lindy as a special advisor would work on a lot of levels.

He could help as a Terry whisperer, be Kevin’s ear to bounce ideas off of, be a coach’s extra eye in the sky and be an ambassador.

Lindy in advisory role is possible, depends on the next two years and how they progress from his efforts. 

38 minutes ago, ... said:

I'm skeptical of any idea that assigns a full time role to Lindy after this coaching stint. My guess is that he'll be ready to retire from full-time work after this.

Never know.  He could be like Dudley and stay in the game for a while as a consultant/ advisor.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.