Sabres Sign Jason Zucker to a One Year 5 Million AAV Deal

Brawndo

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think I have much more to say on free agency but I think my disappointment is best summed up by us signing Zucker for 5 million while Monahan goes to Columbus for a mere .5 more. Sure maybe he wants to play with Johnny Hockey or something but the money difference is small and what he'd have added in terms of filling a need is so huge it just drills home the failure. 

This is incredibly misleading.

The Sabres committed $5M to Zucker.

The Jackets committed $27.5M — more than 5 time that total — to Monahan

The difference is enormous

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Come on, you know what he meant. Most people look at contracts in terms of cap impact...and for the most, rightfully so. 

I think a majority of sabrespacers would've gladly traded zucks contract for Monahan's.

7 minutes ago, oddoublee said:

Come on, you know what he meant. Most people look at contracts in terms of cap impact...and for the most, rightfully so. 

I think a majority of sabrespacers would've gladly traded zucks contract for Monahan's.

Not me.  I don't like Monahan's game at all.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, oddoublee said:

Leino, Ehrhoff, Okposo, Skinner — how did those long-term UFA contracts work out for you?

Term matters. A lot. Especially when you are signing a guy who is about to turn 30 and has had exactly one healthy season in his last 5.

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Leino, Ehrhoff, Okposo, Skinner — how did those long-term UFA contracts work out for you?

Term matters. A lot. Especially when you are signing a guy who is about to turn 30 and has had exactly one healthy season in his last 5.

A good center until age 34? There are worst things in life. You cannot avoid ufa's with term bc of 30's. It's as bad a practice as over paying for your young roster players before they've proven it year over year. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, oddoublee said:

A good center until age 34? There are worst things in life. You cannot avoid ufa's with term bc of 30's. It's as bad a practice as over paying for your young roster players before they've proven it year over year. 

This is a much different argument than whether or not Zucker's contract and Monahan's are similar.

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Additionally, leino had nothing to do with age - he just sucked. Erhoff was meh. Both chaulked up to a new and over eager owner. Okposo got hurt, badly. But still found a way to produce a good season at age 33. Skinner - age wasn't his problem. Scoring isn't a problem. He's a bad fit for this team. 

Talking about a 5.5 million center who slots in as your 2nd and/or 3rd center does not really qualify as a bad signing.

1 minute ago, oddoublee said:

Additionally, leino had nothing to do with age - he just sucked. Erhoff was meh. Both chaulked up to a new and over eager owner. Okposo got hurt, badly. But still found a way to produce a good season at age 33. Skinner - age wasn't his problem. Scoring isn't a problem. He's a bad fit for this team. 

Talking about a 5.5 million center who slots in as your 2nd and/or 3rd center does not really qualify as a bad signing.

Okposo underperformed before his injury. 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is a much different argument than whether or not Zucker's contract and Monahan's are similar.

I believe monahan could've solved their center spine issue for a few years minimum versus Zucker who does not solve it at all. All for the cost of an additional .5 a year. The argument is similar enough and you know it. You're being purposefully 'cute' with your arguments and youre smart enough where you don't need to be.

7 minutes ago, oddoublee said:

I believe monahan could've solved their center spine issue for a few years minimum versus Zucker who does not solve it at all. All for the cost of an additional .5 a year. The argument is similar enough and you know it. You're being purposefully 'cute' with your arguments and youre smart enough where you don't need to be.

1. While the cap hit is negligible, the commitment is a huge difference. If Zucker struggles, we aren't inconvenienced in anyway after this year. Monahan however could haunt CBJ for 5 years.

2. Monahan was quite literally a cap dump only 2 years ago and while he has rebounded, still has a rather troublesome injury history Plus, system wise, I'm unsure if Monahan could do it for a full season without turning back into the cap dump version.

3. Arguing that @dudacek is being purposefully dense to oppose your opinion is a choice.

17 minutes ago, oddoublee said:

There is an argument that the Sabres should have been in on Monahan. It isn’t being cute though to point out that the major difference between the Monahan and Zucker deals is not the $500K in AAV but the 4 extra years of term. In my view, you have it backwards and it is being cute to ignore the term and focus on the AAV. 

• Like (+1) 1

Listening to Paul Hamilton this morning and I am more “good “ with the signing of Zucker.  

Zucker knows what’s going on.  He likes Lindy and several other players that we just signed.  He likes the talent on this team.  

He thinks he can help on any of the top 3 lines and he is saying the right things.  His $5M for one season is not a problem.  This could turn out to be a good veteran to bring in.  I know this team has had problems finding the right vets, maybe the Lindy factor will help.  

Im feeling more positive today.  Tomorrow I’ll be at a party and will see some old friends with strong Sabres connections that will no doubt have a lot to say about the coming season.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Listening to Paul Hamilton this morning and I am more “good “ with the signing of Zucker.  

Zucker knows what’s going on.  He likes Lindy and several other players that we just signed.  He likes the talent on this team.  

He thinks he can help on any of the top 3 lines and he is saying the right things.  His $5M for one season is not a problem.  This could turn out to be a good veteran to bring in.  I know this team has had problems finding the right vets, maybe the Lindy factor will help.  

Im feeling more positive today.  Tomorrow I’ll be at a party and will see some old friends with strong Sabres connections that will no doubt have a lot to say about the coming season.  

Good take, @Pimlach thanks for sharing and enjoy the party.  Clue us in on any feedback you get.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Not me.  I don't like Monahan's game at all.

I like one year of Zucker over 5 years of Monahan.  I still want a 3C though but I think Zucker is a guy that can do a lot of things across our top 9 as needed. 

27 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I like one year of Zucker over 5 years of Monahan.  I still want a 3C though but I think Zucker is a guy that can do a lot of things across our top 9 as needed. 

If Zucker still has his legs and his desire (2 big ifs!), he could be a very good addition.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Do not over-imbibe. We need a sober report from your Sabre connections. 🍺

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oddoublee said:

I don’t think we need a 3C signed for the next 5 years unless we are dead set on settling that player permanently into our core. I would’ve done it for Ek, Lundell, or Cirelli, but not Monahan. I think we’ll likely have one of our own step into that position in a year or 2. Now, if Monahan signed for 2 years, then sure. But, why would he when there is much more money on the table with CBJ. 

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Do not over-imbibe. We need a sober report from your Sabre connections. 🍺

But he needs to make sure he gets blasted enough to tell us the stuff people told him not to share. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, kas23 said:

But he needs to make sure he gets blasted enough to tell us the stuff people told him not to share. 

I worry about his well-being. If he gets shiiiit faced, his wife will pummel him. He doesn't need that arse whipping humiliation in front of his friends. 😀

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I worry about his well-being. If he gets shiiiit faced, his wife will pummel him. He doesn't need that arse whipping humiliation in front of his friends. 😀

Fair enough. He should take meticulous notes during the party or write them down once he gets home. No drinking. The next morning, get blasted, go on to SS, and let loose. 

• Haha (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I don’t think we need a 3C signed for the next 5 years unless we are dead set on settling that player permanently into our core. I would’ve done it for Ek, Lundell, or Cirelli, but not Monahan. I think we’ll likely have one of our own step into that position in a year or 2. Now, if Monahan signed for 2 years, then sure. But, why would he when there is much more money on the table with CBJ. 

Just provide them with beverages that loosen them up lol

Edited by Cityo'Rasmii
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

3 hours ago, kas23 said:

Fair enough. He should take meticulous notes during the party or write them down once he gets home. No drinking. The next morning, get blasted, go on to SS, and let loose. 

The good news is I am less of a drinker compared to some of these guys, so fly on the wall is the best approach. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

The good news is I am less of a drinker compared to some of these guys, so fly on the wall is the best approach. 

As the saying goes: Sometimes less is more. 😃

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Oh for f's sake. It's not "misleading" it was just about a cap number for next year. If you think Monahan over 5 years is too long or a bad deal just say that. You don't have to make judgements on wording. 

imo signing Monahan would have been markedly better than what we did. That's all. No more no less. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.