Free Agent Frenzy 2024

spndnchz

2 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Bertuzzi with Benson would be some pretty funny hockey to watch.

Depends on the price obviously but he's greasy and we need that sort of net front so other guys start to learn it too. Line him up with 2 skill guys and also use him on the PP. Defensive liability, but he was one of the best Leafs in the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

To be frank I’m concerned for the franchise’s future at this point. No one will waive or sign here of note. Even when we state that we are trying to win nowadays. Before people say you need to win; well it’s hard to if no one wants to come here unless they are drafted by us to begin with. It would effectively mean we will never escape the basement because we’ll never get the support to get into the playoffs and have to forever rely on rookies only for players to leave upon reaching their maturity.

If the Sabres had to they can put a Very Good Roster together just from Amerks. Might take 25% of Season to get Rookies up to speed but Goaltending and D could carry them with Ruff.

Here is what my Amerks/Sabres Roster would be

Tuch  Tage Savoie

Quinn  Cozens  Peterka

Malenstyn  Benson  Kulich

Greenway  Krebs  Rosen

extra Rousek, Cecconi

Dahlin  Power

Bo Bynam  Ryan Johnson

Samuelsson  Joki

Clifton

Just losing Oloffson, Jost and Girg helps

• Vomit 1
  • dislike 1

4 hours ago, jahnyc said:

Not sure I understand why the Sabres are so radioactive.  I get that there are more desirable places to play, but the team has a young core and pipeline with an overall decent future and a new head coach who is generally well respected.  Must be some pretty awful information out there about the franchise for so many players at different levels (free agents, college players who haven't signed and players that are under contract that don't want to be traded to the team) to not want to come here (and for GMs to honor those wishes for players that could be traded to the Sabres).

Doesn't there have to be more to this?

Sabres have MONEY

Sabres have one of the Winnest HC

Florida won with HC that never won Cup for 28 years

Sabres had Offense that was Top 5 just 2 years ago and have Top 5 that was there back then.

Sabres have one of the BEST Goalie Tandems in League

Sabres Defense is led by Dahlin, Power and Bo Byram

Seriously, What is NOT to Like?????

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

He would be much better than Stephenson 

Wonder what his ask would be. Although his issue is he's more of an offensive dynamo versus a 2 way player; that being said he's got something Skinner doesn't have which is playoff experience in spades

Bertuzzi doesn't interest me anymore based on his Ozone starts and his surprising lack of hits; I'm completely floored. Marchessault actually out hit him in the regular season.

Mantha again isn't very interesting barring a cheap 1 year show me contract. 55 hits total and heavy Ozone starts

Edited by thewookie1

We should be looking to sign Stamkos to a two year deal that’s undoubtedly an overpayment. He’s not going to be a 40/40 guy here, but we need his legitimacy in the locker room and this fanbase needs something to rally behind. The Athletic gave his projection at 3x6. Offer him 2x9. Win and he’ll finish out his career here. 

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Chad DeDominicis released a podcast tonight. 

A couple tidbits, they are in talks with Winnipeg about Ehlers. He is willing to come to Buffalo but does not want to sign an extension with any team yet. The ask is high, other players maybe involved from Winnipeg as well, but this is an overpayment they should make imo. 2025 1st top ten protected and a prospect would be my guess. 

He also mentioned they do have interest in Stamkos and they could offer a short term deal at high AAV. He probably goes somewhere else though. 
He also wonders about Tyler Toffoli and Matt Roy for the Sabres as UFA Targets 

Overpay for Ehlers. Sign Stamkos. $15.5m between ‘em. Couldn’t care less if no extension is in place. 

Top 6—Tuch, Thompson, Stamkos, Ehlers, Cozens, Quinn

Bottom 6—Benson, JJP, new guy from the Caps, Greenway, signing, signing, Krebs. 

Hit on one of those two bottom 6 signings and that’s a playoff group at forward. Plenty of $ for a Roy on D too. 

Stamkos will be looking to sign with a contender, not Buffalo. He’s made plenty of money in his career, big bucks here won’t sway  him. I’m guessing he’s pretty used to winning after his years in Tampa, he will be looking at a chance for the cup. If for some reason, none of the top 10 teams in the league want him, maybe at that point we’d have a slight chance, but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that no matter what we offer. 

Buffalo would have had a better chance at Kane than Stamkos you’d think, and Kane shunned us two years in a row to sign with Detroit. If Kane doesn’t want to be here, I have a very hard time believing Stamkos would be interested at all. 

Edited by Billznut
  • Agree 1

Just now, Billznut said:

Stamkos will be looking to sign with a contender, not Buffalo. He’s made plenty of money in his career, big bucks here won’t sway  him. I’m guessing he’s pretty used to winning after his years in Tampa, he will be looking at a chance for the cup. If for some reason, none of the top 10 teams in the league want him, maybe at that point we’d have a slight chance, but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that no matter what we offer. 

Or, conversely, Stamkos has been underpaid his whole career and has won plenty. Made he’s willing to cash in on a check close to home and get us over the hump. 

Obviously it’s unlikely, but you can at least have 5.5 hours of dreaming. I know those hours of fantasizing are probably the most enjoyment I’ll have in FA all day. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

Or, conversely, Stamkos has been underpaid his whole career and has won plenty. Made he’s willing to cash in on a check close to home and get us over the hump. 

Obviously it’s unlikely, but you can at least have 5.5 hours of dreaming. I know those hours of fantasizing are probably the most enjoyment I’ll have in FA all day. 

Yeah that’s one of the hardest things about being a Sabres fan, especially the past 13 years, the dreams and fantasies never quite live up to the reality.