Free Agent Frenzy 2024

spndnchz

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

waivers, 2 way deals and of course LTIR all come into play still so I think there's not a lot of that out there really. I think the time to target cap squeezed teams was before free agency. A few teams still need to make cap floor I think. 

From so very shallow digging, there appear to be plenty of teams that are close to the cap and several of them still have some RFAs to sign ... we might still shake one loose!

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, shrader said:

But do we see two 20 goal seasons and 182 points from Rosen over the next 4 years? I’m still not sure we see any NHL time there just yet. 

Farabee's obviously better now and Rosen may never reach those heights, but that's not really my point; I was just saying he's a similar kind of player with a similar ceiling and doesn't really fill a need.

He might be better than Zucker this year. He might be better than Benson. Or he might not.

But he is a middle six left-wing, so its likely one of those guys your trying to upgrade by bringing him.

He might score more, but he probably won't defend or grind more.

Bringing in a Zegras or Ehlers are different because they re top 6 left wings and clear upgrades, so those moves make sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Didn’t we just have a draft thread overflowing with “no more small, skilled, perimeter forwards?

Isn’t Farabee just Isak Rosen 3 or 4 years later?

What am I missing about this guy?

What makes you think Rosen is anything? Just about every trade scenario people on this board have proposed has them giving up Rosen so he's clearly not thought of overly highly here. 

58 minutes ago, freester said:

Farabee has a significant contract. If we trade Krebs for him, I want them to take a bad contract like Clifton 

Hes making 5x5 thats a very team friendly deal coming off 50 pts and 20 goals for the 24 year old.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rasmus_ said:

Hes making 5x5 thats a very team friendly deal coming off 50 pts and 20 goals for the 24 year old.

$5m/yr coming off the same surgery Eichel had that the Sabres wouldn't approve.  Farabee went 26 games without scoring when he came back from the surgery.  I don't see the Sabres trading for him.  Go trade for a more of a sure thing instead of a maybe

45 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

$5m/yr coming off the same surgery Eichel had that the Sabres wouldn't approve.  Farabee went 26 games without scoring when he came back from the surgery.  I don't see the Sabres trading for him.  Go trade for a more of a sure thing instead of a maybe

We need more size. Hes too similar to our young prospects 

5 minutes ago, freester said:

We need more size. Hes too similar to our young prospects 

Yep, plus it would look really hypocritical to trade for a player who had the same experimental spinal surgery you held jack over the coals over.  Of course, the Sabres do a lot of stupid things, so nothing would surprise me with them

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CTJoe said:

Yep, plus it would look really hypocritical to trade for a player who had the same experimental spinal surgery you held jack over the coals over.  Of course, the Sabres do a lot of stupid things, so nothing would surprise me with them

I don't think was the surgery itself as much as it was being the one who would green light the surgery. 

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

What makes you think Rosen is anything? Just about every trade scenario people on this board have proposed has them giving up Rosen so he's clearly not thought of overly highly here. 

Personally, I'm not very high on Rosen, for the same reasons I'm not very high on Farabee.

My point is not that Rosen is good therefore we don't need Farabee, it's that I don't like Farabee as a player for the same reasons I don't like Rosen as a prospect.

He's not good enough to be a good top 6er and not complete enough to be good middle-sixer, at least given the players we already have and the type of roster I'd like to see them build.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, CTJoe said:

Eichel didn't look great immediately after the surgery either.  Perhaps a player takes time before they can play at full level afterward, like maybe the player doesn't fully trust the repair, or the surgery impairs neck movement/mobility until the scar tissue works out.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Personally, I'm not very high on Rosen, for the same reasons I'm not very high on Farabee.

My point is not that Rosen is good therefore we don't need Farabee, it's that I don't like Farabee as a player for the same reasons I don't like Rosen as a prospect.

He's not good enough to be a good top 6er and not complete enough to be good middle-sixer, at least given the players we already have and the type of roster I'd like to see them build.

Okay I can agree with this.

I would suggest however, that Farabee is a proven NHL commodity and you already know what he brings at that level. He might do better in a different system but he's more of sure thing than Rosen. That would be the difference. A little more experience. 

I'm not crazy about the idea either, and I kind of want to avoid the guys Torts wants gone too. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Allen said:

Seeing some talk about Trouba.   He any good? 

We could absolutely use the physical play on defense.

His leadership was good enough to be Captain on NYR as well

Down year last season, maybe play him as a 4/5 role in the right situations and get the most out of it

Would want NYR to retain some salary 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

What exactly is the allure of Trouba?  It’s a lot of problems

You don't know the answer to this? He blows people up and if you have your head down or admire your pass you're going to get rocked into next week. Thus he strikes fear and hesitancy into some opponents which hampers their play. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

We could absolutely use the physical play on defense.

His leadership was good enough to be Captain on NYR as well

Down year last season, maybe play him as a 4/5 role in the right situations and get the most out of it

Would want NYR to retain some salary 

If we had him I'd have him paired with Power or possibly Dahlin. His physical play and defending opening up ice and options for the skilled partner who would be free to "wander" more and drive the play up ice. 

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You don't know the answer to this? He blows people up and if you have your head down or admire your pass you're going to get rocked into next week. Thus he strikes fear and hesitancy into some opponents which hampers their play. 

Go look at his defensive metrics. That "some" must be a really small group. He's an overpaid #5 defender trending down. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Go look at his defensive metrics. That "some" must be a really small group. He's an overpaid #5 defender trending down. 

I do not believe there is interest from the Sabres anyways 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Truba isn’t going anywhere unless his family situation has dramatically changed. I’m pretty sure he’s said as much recently. 

His Wife is in her final year of residency, it’s difficult to change programs after July 1st as most if not all spots are full at other hospitals. I do not blame him for not wanting to be moved