Free Agent Frenzy 2024

spndnchz

8 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't really think Ehlers or Necas are in the cards. The other names I have heard talked about are Farabee and a few mentions of Vatrano. I'm not sure how available they are either, but I am guessing they are possible targets if KA intends to add yet.

Why wouldn't they be in the cards, just curious? Farabee is a 3rd liner, we already have Zucker so I doubt Farabee , Vatrano has decent stats but a -20 player and isn't he a Skinner type with no defense, wasn't that the knock on him? 

5 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

That wouldnt make much sense, why wouldn't the jets just pay Ehlers and the Hurricanes just pay Necas? 

Let’s see, it’s been reported all over the hockey media that Ehlers doesn’t want to sign an extension with Winnipeg and that Necas wants out of Carolina.

If either is moved, that team will be looking for a replacement with all the top UFAs signed and a limited trade market. 

Carolina would have strong shot that Ehlers agrees to an extension and Winnipeg would have team control over Necas. 

So yeah, a trade involving Carolina and Winnipeg with Necas and Ehlers makes a lot of sense 

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Why wouldn't they be in the cards, just curious? Farabee is a 3rd liner, we already have Zucker so I doubt Farabee , Vatrano has decent stats but a -20 player and isn't he a Skinner type with no defense, wasn't that the knock on him? 

Well, I could be wrong. Ehlers is obviously a fit, but he won't sign an extension, and the reported asking price is something like Kulich, 2025 1st, and two more premium pieces. It's more than we got for Eichel, so I am skeptical KA would be willing to pay the price, and that seems ridiculously steep to me. I don't think either Farabee or Vatrano are ideally what you'd want, but those are names I saw thrown out there who could be available.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's more than we got for Eichel, so I am skeptical KA would be willing to pay the price

But if no other GM is willing to pay that price, the price will come down.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Some folks are speculating he is only putatively available and that the price is set absurdly high in case someone is desperate enough to pay it. It would be great if there is wiggle room and that a more just trade is possible. 

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Chevy is playing hardball. That price is way too much.

Ehlers is a speedster, in his prime, but he has never scored 30 goals.

If Ehlers won’t extend the pressure on Chevy keeps building and he may have to wait until the trade deadline.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Chevy is playing hardball. That price is way too much.

Ehlers is a speedster, in his prime, but he has never scored 30 goals.

If Ehlers won’t extend the pressure on Chevy keeps building and he may have to wait until the trade deadline.

I would love to add Ehlers to the roster. But it's unlikely that he would sign an extension with us. Why give up significant assets for a player who is likely to be gone after one season? 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I really think the store is closing on Ehlers and Necas.  Ehlers is not worth the asking price for one year. Necas does not want to be here.  Done 

As you point out, the issue isn't what you want to do as it is what can you really do. Acting out of desperation is not a smart way to do business. In the end, wishful thinking leads to imprudent deals. That's a recipe for a disaster. There is still time to make a deal prior to the season. It doesn't have to be a blockbuster deal. Hopefully, there will be players available at a fair-market cost that will improve the team. If not, you go with what you got. What's going to drive this team forward is internal improvement. Is it good enough? I'm not sure. 

More and more I think it will be either a Krebs deal for Farabee or as Chad has speculated, Wahlberg and a first for Zegras. Both deals likely involve more parts but both have been whispered for awhile and someone I trust implicitly confirmed speculation on the Zegras deal. At first I wasn’t a fan but the more I think about it, both Tage and Dylan would thrive with a playmaker on one wing and Zegras, if healthy and motivated, would be close to as good as it gets. Plus two more years at $5.75M isn’t bad either.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

More and more I think it will be either a Krebs deal for Farabee or as Chad has speculated, Wahlberg and a first for Zegras. Both deals likely involve more parts but both have been whispered for awhile and someone I trust implicitly confirmed speculation on the Zegras deal. At first I wasn’t a fan but the more I think about it, both Tage and Dylan would thrive with a playmaker on one wing and Zegras, if healthy and motivated, would be close to as good as it gets. Plus two more years at $5.75M isn’t bad either.

On WGR, Zegras's name keeps coming up. It seems that Anaheim is getting tired of him. The possible deal that you heard was proposed sounds like a reasonable deal for us. A potential Zegras deal makes so much more sense than an Ehler's deal would because of the contract status. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

On WGR, Zegras's name keeps coming up. It seems that Anaheim is getting tired of him. The possible deal that you heard was proposed sounds like a reasonable deal for us. A potential Zegras deal makes so much more sense than an Ehler's deal would because of the contract status. 

The only thing that’s a little hinky is that Anaheim is getting killed worse then Buffalo for doing nothing so it would seem they need to acquire stars, not trade them and also, may need to take on some salary if they trade Zegras. I’ve heard Greenway mentioned as well in that regard.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

The only thing that’s a little hinky is that Anaheim is getting killed worse then Buffalo for doing nothing so it would seem they need to acquire stars, not trade them and also, may need to take on some salary if they trade Zegras. I’ve heard Greenway mentioned as well in that regard.

In a proposed deal with Buffalo, they might not get back a star player but they could end up with multiple players that make their team better. As we are well aware in Buffalo sports, actually everywhere, sometimes players want out for a variety of reasons or wear out their welcome in the room. In all workplaces, sometimes a change of scenery is best for everyone. A Zegras get should even make @GASabresIUFAN happy!

31 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’ve been kinda talking myself into this one too.

Loved Zegras in his draft year but have definitely soured on him since. He just doesn’t seem to have a winning approach to the game.

My initial reaction is why put all the effort into dumping Skinner and transform the identity of the forward corps, only to add another free spirit who is neither fast, nor hard?

And the answer is two-fold: as you say, our shoot-first centres could mesh with a playmaker like Zegras far better than a shooter like Skinner; and Skinner wasn’t going to change at 32, but Zegras at 23 might. A trade could put him exactly in the right place to learn and benefit from Lindy Ruff.

I remember somebody on here posting they knew him and his family and saying his basically a good kid. And he’s at a buy-low point.

Maybe…

Edited by dudacek

30 minutes ago, tom webster said:

These rumored deals are cheaper than I thought we’d get stuck with. No brainer from me. Yes those teams want quantity over quality so it can work. 

I thought we’d be done until trade deadline, but if these are on the table I’ll keep refreshing!

Just now, dudacek said:

Loved Zegras in his draft year but have definitely soured on him since. He just doesn’t seem to have a winning approach to the game.

My initial reaction is why put all the effort into dumping Skinner and transform the identity of the forward corps, only to add another free spirit who is neither fast, nor hard.

And the answer is two-fold: as you say, our shoot-first wingers could mesh with a playmaker like Zegras far better than a shooter like Skinner; and Skinner wasn’t going to change at 32, but Zegras at 23 might. A trade could put him exactly in the right place to learn and benefit from Lindy Ruff.

I remember somebody on here posting they knew him and his family and saying his basically a good kid. And he’s at a buy-low point.

Maybe…

Our team is full of snipers. Can use a playmaker 

Bigger question is whether Lindy wants his style

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My initial reaction is why put all the effort into dumping Skinner and transform the identity of the forward corps, only to add another free spirit who is neither fast, nor hard?

And the answer is two-fold: as you say, our shoot-first centres could mesh with a playmaker like Zegras far better than a shooter like Skinner; and Skinner wasn’t going to change at 32, but Zegras at 23 might. A trade could put him exactly in the right place to learn and benefit from Lindy Ruff.

Maybe…

Not surprisingly, this was almost my exact reaction plus I like Wahlberg but he’s at least two, if not three years away.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

In a proposed deal with Buffalo, they might not get back a star player but they could end up with multiple players that make their team better. As we are well aware in Buffalo sports, actually everywhere, sometimes players want out for a variety of reasons or wear out their welcome in the room. In all workplaces, sometimes a change of scenery is best for everyone. A Zegras get should even make @GASabresIUFAN happy!

I'm all for a Zegras deal.  We lost our best playmaker in Mitts and need to replace that production.  Zegras would be a great fit in that way.  The other issues with him Adams and his team need to figure out, but the price is now substantially less than it would have been a year ago.

I like the idea of Zegras on the Cozens line.  TNT has Tuch as his playmaker.  Don't forget that Tuch had the same number of assists as Mitts over the last 2 years.  

I think I need to clear the air.  I really don't care if Adams specifically acquires Necas, Ehlers, or Zegras.  My point is we have to change this team even if we have to overpay to get it done. Until we have a winning team, attracting top talent as UFAs or with NTCs is next to impossible.   To make the necessary changes Adams (or his successor) is going to have a take a risk or two.  We are fortunate that we have assets to get a deal done.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

I would be interested in either of these deals but I don't see why Philly would trade Farabee.

I'd want to know how healed Zegras ankle and groin are. I don't think Zegras takes a particularly diligent approach to the offseason so wonder if he's grown up at all. 23 is different than 21 and tbh he sounds like last years adversity taught him a lot. I do like the player and think he'd mesh with this group well. Not crazy about losing Wahlberg. 

"I (zegras) started feeling some stuff,” he said. “Didn’t really know what it is. Kind of when I got back on the ice. Just skating. Might have ramped it up a little too quick or something. I didn’t take care of it like I should have and maybe been on top of it. Obviously coming back into training camp is a whole different animal. These guys are playing at a different pace than you skate in summer so that probably didn’t help too much."

This was in reference to an inflammation in his groin around his joint. He implies it was made worse by his actions and by the contract issue. I'd very much want my medical staff on this if I'm trading for him. He had osteitis pubis. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5432406/2024/04/22/trevor-zegras-ducks-trade-offseason?source=user-shared-article

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I would be interested in either of these deals but I don't see why Philly would trade Farabee.

Yeah been looking at this one. Farabee had Eichels disk surgery and then got off on a bad start with Torts trying to recover from it. 

Guy seems like a perimeter shooter, not sure why the target Lindy will hate that; but given Krebs is all we’d give up I can believe we have a better chance at fixing his career than Krebs will. He really needs time  to recover from that surgery, he wasn’t some freak of nature bodybuilder like Eichel was. 

we have the cap space to take him, which is why he’d be available for cheap. Krebs is a throwaway at this point. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd want to know how healed Zegras ankle and groin are. I don't think Zegras takes a particularly diligent approach to the offseason so wonder if he's grown up at all. 23 is different than 21 and tbh he sounds like last years adversity taught him a lot. I do like the player and think he'd mesh with this group well. Not crazy about losing Wahlberg. 

"I (zegras) started feeling some stuff,” he said. “Didn’t really know what it is. Kind of when I got back on the ice. Just skating. Might have ramped it up a little too quick or something. I didn’t take care of it like I should have and maybe been on top of it. Obviously coming back into training camp is a whole different animal. These guys are playing at a different pace than you skate in summer so that probably didn’t help too much."

This was in reference to an inflammation in his groin around his joint. He implies it was made worse by his actions and by the contract issue. I'd very much want my medical staff on this if I'm trading for him. He had osteitis pubis. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5432406/2024/04/22/trevor-zegras-ducks-trade-offseason?source=user-shared-article

Zegras as a whole gives me pause between his personality and injury history. I’d have to expect both the medical and Ruff a-ok were involved 

• Agree 1

One thing I'd toss out,  Zegras was 2nd (61pts) and 1st (65pts) in points for the Ducks the 2 years before his injury shortened season. He's never played on team with shooters like Peterka,  Quinn, Thompson, Tuch. The best players he's had are Troy Terry and Frank Vetrano but Zegras was injured during Veteanos breakout year. 

What I'm saying is Zegras wouldn't be the be all end all he was for those 2 years in Anaheim. That said if Anaheim keeps him, their young talent around him is greatly improved. Maybe this is our Jack Eichel trade. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s eeringly similar. Guy they put a lot of pressure onto because they are a bad team gets major surgery (literally the same as Eichel) and has a bunch of issues returning from it and just gets on the bad side of the front office and new coaches.  Probably just needs a reset button

plus he’d go from being the guy to being a 2nd liner down the depth chart 

Edited by triumph_communes

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.