Free Agent Frenzy 2024

spndnchz

6 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I admire your optimism. 

I think the plan was always to still come in $6-8 million under the cap. The Skinner buyout was partially to save money and partially to change the make-up a bit. When the draft ended and free agency hit, Adams pivoted from trying to trade for a player like Ehlers to filling the hole by signing a veteran middle-six player who would accept a one year deal. My view is that Zucker became the off-season mid-top-6 forward add. If we had traded for Ehlers we would not have signed Zucker. Adams couldn’t be left with nothing so he acted quickly on July 1st to add someone who could plausibly fill that role. 

When Adams says he is still open to acquiring a top 6 forward, I think he means:  “ I am not actively pursuing this, but if something falls in my lap I will look at it “.  This would be the trade equivalent to the Taylor Hall signing. A “ we didn’t plan for this, but we can’t pass it up” scenario. 

We have our 4 goalies. We have our top six D and four options for roles 7-8. We have 12 forwards slotted into 12 available forward roles and 3-4 AHL tweener candidates for the 13th forward. We can bump a Krebs or Greenway down if one of our prospects lights up camp. 

We are done for the off-season. The only miss from Adams perspective is he didn’t get a top 6 forward in trade and had to settle for Zucker in free agency. 

Maybe, but I don't believe he is done. As you and others have pointed out, he was in talks to acquire a top 6 player. He didn't magically turn that off, no GM ever does in my opinion. Based on that, I do not believe he is done.

12 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I admire your optimism. 

I think the plan was always to still come in $6-8 million under the cap. The Skinner buyout was partially to save money and partially to change the make-up a bit. When the draft ended and free agency hit, Adams pivoted from trying to trade for a player like Ehlers to filling the hole by signing a veteran middle-six player who would accept a one year deal. My view is that Zucker became the off-season mid-top-6 forward add. If we had traded for Ehlers we would not have signed Zucker. Adams couldn’t be left with nothing so he acted quickly on July 1st to add someone who could plausibly fill that role. 

When Adams says he is still open to acquiring a top 6 forward, I think he means:  “ I am not actively pursuing this, but if something falls in my lap I will look at it “.  This would be the trade equivalent to the Taylor Hall signing. A “ we didn’t plan for this, but we can’t pass it up” scenario. 

We have our 4 goalies. We have our top six D and four options for roles 7-8. We have 12 forwards slotted into 12 available forward roles and 3-4 AHL tweener candidates for the 13th forward. We can bump a Krebs or Greenway down if one of our prospects lights up camp. 

We are done for the off-season. The only miss from Adams perspective is he didn’t get a top 6 forward in trade and had to settle for Zucker in free agency. 

Adams hasn't actively pursued a top 6 forward in 3 years. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I hope we are not done.  If the overall goals were to acquire a top six forward, a center that can play on the second or third line, and another rugged defenseman, it seems to me that the moves to this point do not address these needs.  Maybe it can be argued that we improved our third and fourth lines, but we will see if that is the case once the season starts.

Have we adequately replaced Skinner?  I don't think so, and I also don't think we have any current players in Rochester that are ready to be major contributors to the Sabres this season and fill that role.

In terms of trades, if there is uncertainty within the Sabres organization about certain of our prospects and/or there will be not enough available slots with the Sabres in the near or longer term for some of our prospects, now is the time to make moves, particularly if they are viewed more favorably outside of the organization than our internal assessments indicate.  Of course, this has not happened to this point.

After the first wave of free agency, it seems to me that again we are going into a season with obvious holes and flaws that we (as fans) see.  Last year, it was goaltending, and we got lucky that Luukkonen showed marked improvement, which saved our season from being more of a disaster.  I think banking on Ruff making this roster a playoff caliber team is unrealistic.  We need more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Sabres73 said:

If there weren't great deals to be had, so be it. It's worse to make a bad deal that will impact the team for years. And we can certainly do something during the season if a more reasonable situation comes up. I don't get the hand-wringing.

Yeah....last thing we want to do is make a move that could result is something like a 13 - 14 year playoff drought.... 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I admire your optimism. 

Probably true. I also expect overpays to UPL, Krebs and Jokiharju though. 

12 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

Roslovic:  1x$2.8 to a team that may be the most data-driven in the league. The Hurricanes think he can help them win hockey games.

Roslovic is nothing special, but he's better than Krebs.

On 7/4/2024 at 9:52 AM, Archie Lee said:

I admire your optimism. 

NHL Trade Rumors: Jets Ehlers Linked to Sabres for Kulich and Östlund

By

Bill Scott

-

July 5, 2024

10 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Is Daniel Sprong available as a UFA?  Is he worth a look?

Yes and no. Not what we need. He's kind of Skinner-lite. 

10 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd put Buffalo and Ottawa at 88 as well. We all have warts and beauty marks.

Ullmark in Ottawa won't be Ullmark in Boston

Nope, but he will be playing for a new contract so the question is will he be good enough? Was it all Korpisalo or was it the Ottawa D? 

I don't really think Ehlers or Necas are in the cards. The other names I have heard talked about are Farabee and a few mentions of Vatrano. I'm not sure how available they are either, but I am guessing they are possible targets if KA intends to add yet.