Free Agent Frenzy 2024

spndnchz

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Jack Quinn is going to give us 30g and 45a this season. Peterka is going to give us 30g and 32a. 

Quinn is and has been better than Peterka, even last year. 

I do see that in the metrics, you laid out, I guess I just want to see Quinn not bitten by the injury bug.

6 hours ago, TheAud said:

What's your rebuttal?  

Oh, you don't have one. 

rebuttal? your assertion that sabres front office watching the development camp somehow makes them incompetent needs none. It is on its face an absurd. 

6 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't think he would ever agree to be traded.  He would retire before accepting a trade.

I think he would agree to a team like Colorado maybe. They are lined up to make runs and need more forwards.

Why would he retire? He has always been driven to win. Wants more cups to cement legacy. not happening in Pitt.

6 hours ago, SDS said:

I have no idea what your point is. Maybe you would like to argue that it’s easier finding first line players than other guys in the lineup. I’ll hang up and listen.

they lost Bergeron and Kreci and were 2 points from conference championship right? Seems like they replaced the production or at least the wins nicely.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

He paced for 27g and 28a last year. 

True, I know he's good.  There's just the issue of him being on the ice for that stretch to produce that.  We've seen it before where some players always seem to get injured regardless of how in tune with their work out regiment/eating habits etc.

11 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

I think he would agree to a team like Colorado maybe. They are lined up to make runs and need more forwards.

Why would he retire? He has always been driven to win. Wants more cups to cement legacy. not happening in Pitt.

He is this era's Mario.  He will retire a Penguin.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Bergeron and Marchand had been linemates since 2011. If you have two of the best NHL players on your first line for a dozen years, it makes filling out the rest of your roster a hell of a lot easier. What does this team look like if you push our first line down to our second line and insert a decade long partnership of two of the best forwards in the NHL?

Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart.

Boston would have found a way.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

rebuttal? your assertion that sabres front office watching the development camp somehow makes them incompetent needs none. It is on its face an absurd. 

Your lack of an intelligent response is absurd. 

Just put me on ignore please. I already ignored you.  

2 hours ago, TheAud said:

It's yet another data point as to how clueless the organization's leadership really is. 

And it's not that the start date of Dev Camp even matters. It's the optics and perception to your fanbase and to the rest of the league.

The Kraken Dev Camp starts tomorrow 7/2. Why? So that it doesn't appear that leadership is sitting on their duff on the opening day of UFA. And the Kraken (who finished worse than Buffalo and aren't any more of a contender in their division than the Sabres are in the Atlantic) went out and got Montour and Stephenson, both arguably top-5 UFAs at their respective positions.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

And it's not that the start date of Dev Camp even matters. It's the optics and perception to your fanbase and to the rest of the league.

The Kraken Dev Camp starts tomorrow 7/2. Why? So that it doesn't appear that leadership is sitting on their duff on the opening day of UFA. And the Kraken (who finished worse than Buffalo and aren't any more of a contender in their division than the Sabres are in the Atlantic) went out and got Montour and Stephenson, both arguably top-5 UFAs at their respective positions.

The Montour and Stephenson contracts are absolutely hideous though. The players are good but not worth anywhere what they got.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Absolutely. It's blindness to optics and lack of focus on what's most important. 

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Loved Stephenson while he was here in Vegas, has great speed and is a great passer but tends to over pass shots he should take. Stone and Stephenson worked great with one another, not sure who really benefited more off each other. 

18 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I’m always fascinated by the pushback some posters get around here for being disappointed or for not being sold on the team/front office/media. The angry people have been right for a decade plus now.

its not that black and white...meaning some of us have been angry at times and not at other times.  Its not just that if you are one of the 'angry people' you are always right and the 'non angry' people are always wrong..or again...that some of us like what is happening at certain times and not others.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

its not that black and white...meaning some of us have been angry at times and not at other times.  Its not just that if you are one of the 'angry people' you are always right and the 'non angry' people are always wrong..or again...that some of us like what is happening at certain times and not others.

I agree with this and I know everyone’s spent their time on both the optimistic and pessimistic side of the coin over the last 13 years. 

Simply as a whole, the people who are on the pessimistic side have been right. Lots of people who are angry now were loving the winning streak of the Eichel team, while the negatives said it wasn’t sustainable. 

We’ve all been wrong. It just happens that we’re wrong when we’re positive.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Worst part is all they need to do is acquire 1 Top 6 player or a solid 3C and they would have had a damn good offseason.

So close to greatness!

rogue one GIF by Star Wars

They should do both, but we are left hoping against hope that maybe they end up with one of those. The goal should be to field a team that is clearly above the line of talent needed to make the playoffs, so you can absorb the inevitable injuries and players with down years. If your plan is hoping for an inside straight to maybe sneak in as the eighth seed, you're probably KA.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

They should do both, but we are left hoping against hope that maybe they end up with one of those. The goal should be to field a team that is clearly above the line of talent needed to make the playoffs, so you can absorb the inevitable injuries and players with down years. If your plan is hoping for an inside straight to maybe sneak in as the eighth seed, you're probably KA.

I didn’t say a perfect offseason just a great one. Granted the bar is rather low at this point so looking like you actually want to make the playoffs is big.

11 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I didn’t say a perfect offseason just a great one. Granted the bar is rather low at this point so looking like you actually want to make the playoffs is big.

I understand. I wasn't criticizing your point, just augmenting with my own expression of dissatisfaction with KA's measure of what excellence should look like. No doubt, Pegula and the disastrous history of what the team has become is an anchor even a competent GM would have a hard time overcoming. Nonetheless, I can't help thinking that even under these circumstances, we should do better. 

• Like (+1) 1