Free Agent Frenzy 2024

spndnchz

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Actually, because a player played in the NCAA, a team gets his rights for twice as long as if he'd gone to Juniors.  Kids that play in the CHL and aren't signed within 2 years go back into the draft.  Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

That's in place, because kids in Juniors can have signed pro contracts.  It's going to change soon, but NCAA players weren't allowed to play college hockey if they had been "professionals."  So, teams can sign guys right after the draft or anytime within those 1st 2 years if he went Junior, but couldn't sign a college kid until he leaves.  Without that rule in place, nobody would have ever signed an 18 or 19 yo college kid unless he was really special like an Eichel because they'd all be back in the draft before they'd played their Junior Year of college hockey.

Will be interesting to see how that changes with the next CBA.

But do they?  If they sign the player after Year 2 from Junior, you could have another 3 years on an ELC where you maintain the rights, and really not much risk to losing the prospect as they can play in the AHL at a salary of about $70k.  It's just a roster spot, and most teams are not up against it with what,  50 to offer?    The total cost investment by the parent club might be  $210K over 5 years?  But the NCAA  route, while costing the club nothing, its really 3 years, b/c you really cannot count the 4th year as if a player finishes school, they often just wait the extra months in summer to become a UFA.  

I like the MLB approach which was mentioned above.  If you want to pursue an NCAA career, go for it, but in 4 years, you have to be drafted again to play. You do not get to choose where you want to play. 

16 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

But do they?  If they sign the player after Year 2 from Junior, you could have another 3 years on an ELC where you maintain the rights, and really not much risk to losing the prospect as they can play in the AHL at a salary of about $70k.  It's just a roster spot, and most teams are not up against it with what,  50 to offer?    The total cost investment by the parent club might be  $210K over 5 years?  But the NCAA  route, while costing the club nothing, its really 3 years, b/c you really cannot count the 4th year as if a player finishes school, they often just wait the extra months in summer to become a UFA.  

I like the MLB approach which was mentioned above.  If you want to pursue an NCAA career, go for it, but in 4 years, you have to be drafted again to play. You do not get to choose where you want to play. 

Yes, if a player goes to the NCAA, you have 4 years of retaining his rights prior to signing him.  If he comes through the CHL, you have 2 years of retaining his rights prior to signing him.  2*2 = 4.  The discussion was about how teams lose the rights to an NCAA player after 4 years if he hasn't signed an ELC by then.  Well, a team loses the rights to a CHL player after only 2 years if he hasn't signed an ELC by then.  No, that CHL player doesn't become an UFA after 2 years; he becomes an overager in the draft; but yes, the team loses that player after the 2 years and must redraft him if they want to have exclusive negotiating rights with him for the full 4 years.

And that 4th year was available to the team to get the player signed.  

You could make the argument that a team doesn't get the full 2 years of a CHL player as he might have decided as soon as his 2nd season is done that he wants nothing to do with that NHL team even though the team has the rights for another month or so.

Edited by Taro T
Too slow on the additional comments

There has been a rumor floating around that Philly wants Krebs and Sabres want Farabee.

Now Ek at hockeybuzz is reporting it. Usually I would say that would completely kill it but his one real source is the Flyers organization.

Krebs+pic or prospect for Farabee would be a nice deal to setup the lineup.

• Vomit 1

46 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

There has been a rumor floating around that Philly wants Krebs and Sabres want Farabee.

Now Ek at hockeybuzz is reporting it. Usually I would say that would completely kill it but his one real source is the Flyers organization.

Honestly, they should have to give up to much extra besides Krebs. He was a former 1st round pick himself.  I think Neuchev or Kisikov should be enough. 

Amazon Studios Please GIF by Amazon Prime Video

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/9/2024 at 8:08 AM, Night Train said:

On a side note, when did the Hockey News become a clickbait site ?   Every day, they have a "rumor" of the Sabres interested in a different player. Seems baseless. 

Hockey news isn’t what it was 

5 hours ago, Mr. Allen said:

Seems like this brat wants to pick the exact team he goes to. 

Then why even have a draft?  Just let every player pick whatever team they want to sign with. 
Sabres would do great with that route…. 

I believe even CHL players can take this route though 

Someone smarter and or more well versed can correct that 

After 2 years I think they go back in draft, then after a further 2 with new drafted team can I think elect to become a FA if unsigned 

4 hours ago, #freejame said:

Choosing between playing college hockey in Michigan and AHL hockey in Manitoba seems like an easy decision to me. If you can’t convince a prospect there’s room for them in the organization maybe the organization is the problem. 

I guess I don’t understand the difference between entitlement and operating in one’s best interest. At the end of the day, no matter how much they try to hid it, the NHL and their teams are big business who already restrict wages and opportunities.  

Easy decision cause Manitoba is better? I host movie nights 

Edited by Thorny

56 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

“The trade is one for one” 

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I believe even CHL players can take this route though 

Someone smarter and or more well versed can correct that 

Yes, CHL players can take it as well.  But presuming they're good enough to get drafted, they still have to wait 4 years after they were originally draft eligible for it to happen.  Get drafted by team A.  Don't sign for 2 years.  Go back into the draft.  Get drafted by team B (that could be team A again; there's no prohibition against redrafting the same player).  Don't sign for 2 years.  Become a UFA.  Make the world your oyster.  😉 

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

My take on the rumour mill is that the Farabee thing has been an alternate plan for Adams should his attempts at getting better players (Ehlers, Zegras)fully fall apart.

Not really seeing why some fans have fixated on him - to me, we’ve seen his ceiling and I’m not sure that he’s an upgrade to Benson and Zucker behind Peterka - but if the price is reasonable, I’d rather have 3 middle-six LW than 2.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Yes, if a player goes to the NCAA, you have 4 years of retaining his rights prior to signing him.  If he comes through the CHL, you have 2 years of retaining his rights prior to signing him.  2*2 = 4.  The discussion was about how teams lose the rights to an NCAA player after 4 years if he hasn't signed an ELC by then.  Well, a team loses the rights to a CHL player after only 2 years if he hasn't signed an ELC by then.  No, that CHL player doesn't become an UFA after 2 years; he becomes an overager in the draft; but yes, the team loses that player after the 2 years and must redraft him if they want to have exclusive negotiating rights with him for the full 4 years.

And that 4th year was available to the team to get the player signed.  

You could make the argument that a team doesn't get the full 2 years of a CHL player as he might have decided as soon as his 2nd season is done that he wants nothing to do with that NHL team even though the team has the rights for another month or so.

There's nothing to be gained from being an overager though. You've given up money and you still have no control over your destination. The NCAA guy gets to go where he wants so there is more leverage. 

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My take on the rumour mill is that the Farabee thing has been an alternate plan for Adams should his attempts at getting better players (Ehlers, Zegras)fully fall apart.

Not really seeing why some fans have fixated on him - to me, we’ve seen his ceiling and I’m not sure that he’s an upgrade to Benson and Zucker behind Peterka - but if the price is reasonable, I’d rather have 3 middle-six LW than 2.

I think they are only fixated on him because he might be available. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Big question about Farabee is still his health. I guess it’s true Jack didn’t bounce right back to his old self and I honestly don’t know if he’s now the same dynamic player we saw in Buffalo. I don’t watch him. But Farabee had issues last season and it’s not clear what they were. 

Here’s a quote: “From January 11 to March 14 — a 26-game span — Farabee was held without a goal and logged just four points.”

Sounds like he would fit right in here. 

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/analysis/flyers-thumbs-up-thumbs-down-joel-farabees-season-marred-aftereffects-neck-surgery

7 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

The value might be fine, but I don’t like what it does from a roster construction standpoint. Farabee seems like more of what we have, and maybe not as good. Krebs gives us a 5th NHL centre. If we trade Krebs without bringing in a vet centre, we are an injury away from scrambling. A healthy Krebs starting the year as our 13th forward provides good depth and flexibility.  Better is better, I realize.  I’m not sure Farabee makes us so much better in the top 6 that it warrants the depth hit to the bottom 6. Full disclosure though, I haven’t watched Farabee a lot. 

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The NFL drafts from college and they can own the rights to the player until that player reaches UFA status as a pro.  The NHL can draft an 18 year old player and if that player goes to the NCAA they can lose the rights to him after so many years (3 or 4 or something like that).   

My point is that teams can lose the rights to a player because he stayed in the NCAA, which I view as unfair to the team that drafted him at 18.  

Indeed a risk. One that they hopefully suss out during the pre-drafting interview process.  There's no perfect system. Look at what college sports have become. Every entitled athlete enters the transfer portal in search of a better NIL agreement with another team. Either that or they believe their current team snubbed them and they will have more success elsewhere. It's a joke.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Indeed a risk. One that they hopefully suss out during the pre-drafting interview process.  There's no perfect system. Look at what college sports have become. Every entitled athlete enters the transfer portal in search of a better NIL agreement with another team. Either that or they believe their current team snubbed them and they will have more success elsewhere. It's a joke.

I wish they could separate it from the school side of things at this point.  There are mercenaries who are not there for the scholarship they're handed, so why force those few to actually go and take up class spots from someone else.

• Like (+1) 2

Say what you want about KA, but I feel like there is minimal actual information coming out of the sabres office.  I don't think anyone saw the McLeod or malenstyn trades coming.  

In other words (regarding farabee/krebs):  I'll believe it when I see it

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Night Train said:

There still must be teams needing to become cap compliant.  I'm sure many here know the teams. Prospects/picks for NHL players has to be a real possibility for the Sabres right now. 

waivers, 2 way deals and of course LTIR all come into play still so I think there's not a lot of that out there really. I think the time to target cap squeezed teams was before free agency. A few teams still need to make cap floor I think. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

waivers, 2 way deals and of course LTIR all come into play still so I think there's not a lot of that out there really. I think the time to target cap squeezed teams was before free agency. A few teams still need to make cap floor I think. 

There are no NHL teams currently below the cap floor according to what is on puckpedia. Everyone is above 65 million. 

On 7/10/2024 at 7:51 PM, kas23 said:

Big question about Farabee is still his health. I guess it’s true Jack didn’t bounce right back to his old self and I honestly don’t know if he’s now the same dynamic player we saw in Buffalo. I don’t watch him. But Farabee had issues last season and it’s not clear what they were. 

Here’s a quote: “From January 11 to March 14 — a 26-game span — Farabee was held without a goal and logged just four points.”

Sounds like he would fit right in here. 

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/analysis/flyers-thumbs-up-thumbs-down-joel-farabees-season-marred-aftereffects-neck-surgery

Here’s the thing- Farabee seems like a nice idea BUT do we really think KA and Pegula are going to trade for a guy who had the same exact surgery they wouldn’t let Eichel get?? Not a chance in the world unless they’re huge hypocrites. 

Think Granlund 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Here’s the thing- Farabee seems like a nice idea BUT do we really think KA and Pegula are going to trade for a guy who had the same exact surgery they wouldn’t let Eichel get?? Not a chance in the world unless they’re huge hypocrites. 

Think Granlund 

Didn’t we just have a draft thread overflowing with “no more small, skilled, perimeter forwards?

Isn’t Farabee just Isak Rosen 3 or 4 years later?

What am I missing about this guy?

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Didn’t we just have a draft thread overflowing with “no more small, skilled, perimeter forwards?

Shiny new toy potential.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Think Granlund 

Do you not remember what the issue was? It was only 5-6 years ago.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

There are no NHL teams currently below the cap floor according to what is on puckpedia. Everyone is above 65 million. 

Fair enough. I thought Anaheim and San Jose might still be under. I guess San Jose got there signing Toffoli. Anaheim I see just squeaked in by .3 million. 

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

Think Granlund 

Well, they don't have to be hypocrites to go "oh, I guess it does work, our bad" . Once somebody has done something successfully the narrative changes for everybody else going forward.

Besides, have you not watched this franchise under Pegula? They change their minds all the time. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

But do we see two 20 goal seasons and 182 points from Rosen over the next 4 years? I’m still not sure we see any NHL time there just yet. 

Edited by shrader