Jacob Bryson will not receive a qualifying offer from the Sabres

Brawndo

Doesn't deserve the rep he got here thanks to a horrible half-season fed top 4 minutes. Was fine last year as an adequate 7D.

Doesn't deserve his QA either. Is easily replaceable and preferably with a different skillset.

Another member of the original "blinding light brigade (TM)" and cool kid insider shown the door.

Not surprising at all. Neither would both sides circling back after the initial FA flurry, a la Jost last year.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen.

Overall, I like this move.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

I am picturing them in the office and Adams says to Ruff "what do you think about Bryson? Should we qualify him?" and Ruff just stares and says "is that a serious question?"

At least I hope that's it. 

Think they'll do that with Joki?  Just kidding.  I know the $4 mill a year contract is coming.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hell Clague keeps getting contracts, why not Bryson?

I think Bryson actually has the skillset to play against NHL players.  He’s not at all standout in any area, but he’s not sub NHL in general.  Clague is the definition of not quite NHL talent.  Bryson needs a team that is talented enough that his warts don’t show so readily. Ruhwedel found that team and had a nice career.  Will be interesting to see if Bryson can find a similar fit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I'm thinking a lot of the work around the 'edges' of the Roster is Ruff talking to Adams and the scouting staff and his input as to what he likes and doesn't like. The trade for Malenstyn. Skinner Gone. Bryson no qualifying offer.  Its not a ton, but these decisions to me are more of Lindy's fingerprints on them than not.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mjd1001 said:

I'm thinking a lot of the work around the 'edges' of the Roster is Ruff talking to Adams and the scouting staff and his input as to what he likes and doesn't like. The trade for Malenstyn. Skinner Gone. Bryson no qualifying offer.  Its not a ton, but these decisions to me are more of Lindy's fingerprints on them than not.

Wasn't Bryson here when Ruff was coach? Because it feels like he was 🤣 

Just now, shrader said:

I see around 1.1 million reasons why Bryson doesn’t get that next contract. 

He's now a UFA.  The vet minimum is 750K.  Someone is going to give him a 1 way deal.  He has played 206 NHL games, which is 30th most in his draft class.  He is going to get a deal, if not from us, from someone looking for cheap experienced depth.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Weave said:

Not surprising, and not upset about it at all.  Still could see him scrounging out an NHL career ala Chad Ruhwedel.

Bryson played pretty well when he came back later in the season.  He's an adequate fill-in 3rd paring/7th defenseman.   He's small, but moves the puck pretty well.  If he ends up back with the team on a lower salary, I won't complain, but as stated above, if he leaves Buffalo, I think he'll have a NHL career somewhere else.

No question that the role could be adequately filled by another guy like Clague, Stillman, or someone else out there, but Bryson is fine, in the right role.  The last forward/defenseman on a roster isn't going to be an All-Star or a top 6/top pairing guy.

48 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He's now a UFA.  The vet minimum is 750K.  Someone is going to give him a 1 way deal.  He has played 206 NHL games, which is 30th most in his draft class.  He is going to get a deal, if not from us, from someone looking for cheap experienced depth.

Sorry, I should have said “why Bryson DIDN’T get that next contract”. I just meant the qualifying offer from Buffalo.