2024 Development Camp

spndnchz

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

If you think it costs nothing to clean the room and feed the players, I’m not sure what to tell you.

Never mind the opportunity cost of giving away a room for free (if indeed that’s what happens) as opposed to actually making money renting that room to a paying customer.

Then there is flying them in, getting them to and from the airport, processing them, coaching them and teaching them.

There likely are economies of scale, but there is almost certainly an additional cost.

As for the “fantasy” of Terry being cheap, the Sabres have been among the lowest-spending teams in the league for 3 consecutive seasons - closer to the floor than the cap and are showing no signs of changing that trend.

They just pocketed $7M cutting Jeff Skinner and have not spend a cent of the resulting cap space on replacement players. They are currently cutting $19M under the cap.

What does an owner have to do to be considered “cheap?”

I think it's hilarious you're willing to go to the wall with this notion, citing housekeeping expenses. 😂

But hey, it's the offseason. What else are we going to panic about? I mean it's been 5 days since Skinner was bought out. The fact we haven't spent that cap savings already is all the proof you need, right?

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

If you think it costs nothing to clean the room and feed the players, I’m not sure what to tell you.

Never mind the opportunity cost of giving away a room for free (if indeed that’s what happens) as opposed to actually making money renting that room to a paying customer.

Then there is flying them in, getting them to and from the airport, processing them, coaching them and teaching them.

There likely are economies of scale, but there is almost certainly an additional cost.

As for the “fantasy” of Terry being cheap, the Sabres have been among the lowest-spending teams in the league for 3 consecutive seasons - closer to the floor than the cap and are showing no signs of changing that trend.

They just pocketed $7M cutting Jeff Skinner and have not spend a cent of the resulting cap space on replacement players. They are currently $19M under the cap.

What does an owner have to do to be considered “cheap?”

Well said 

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I hate to stick a pin in your "Terry is cheap" fantasies but Pegula owns the Marriott Hotel at Harborcenter. That's where the players stay. It doesn't cost him more to house more players.

While I don’t believe any of this was motivated by money, TPEGS does not own the hotel. Shaner hotels manages the hotel and is a tenant of the HarborCenter Complex. I’m sure Sabres get huge discount but I doubt they get unlimited rooms free of charge.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

While I don’t believe any of this was motivated by money, TPEGS does not own the hotel. Shaner hotels manages the hotel and is a tenant of the HarborCenter Complex. I’m sure Sabres get huge discount but I doubt they get unlimited rooms free of charge.

Did Terry P divest himself of all his hotels and restaurants? 

21 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

But isn't it a case of our roster is the youngest in the NHL, so many haven't hit their big contracts yet? In my mind it's not "cheap", but just a reflection of where our developing roster is at. I have no doubt TP will be spending big bucks down the road as appropriate.

They really don’t have “big contracts” to hit, not yet anyway but they will come.   The past two seasons he easily could have signed more and better vets to short term contracts, just like they are now doing,  and got closer to the cap, with no threat to the future cap, and maybe they win more and make the playoffs. 

Looking at these signings, it feels like Ruff is teaching Adams right now.  Adams is doing simple things that he would not do before.  Let’s hope he doesn’t blow the UPL situation, like he definitely did with Ullmark   

Pegula has been extremely frugal with the Sabres.  The place they play in has needed a roof for years.   They are finally getting a modern scoreboard.  The arena needs even more work.   

Meanwhile, the Bills get everything they need.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

They really don’t have “big contracts” to hit, not yet anyway but they will come.   The past two seasons he easily could have signed more and better vets to short term contracts, just like they are now doing,  and got closer to the cap, with no threat to the future cap, and maybe they win more and make the playoffs. 

Looking at these signings, it feels like Ruff is teaching Adams right now.  Adams is doing simple things that he would not do before.  Let’s hope he doesn’t blow the UPL situation, like he definitely did with Ullmark   

Pegula has been extremely frugal with the Sabres.  The place they play in has needed a roof for years.   They are finally getting a modern scoreboard.  The arena needs even more work.   

I don't believe this at all. 

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

If you review the signings that were made this offseason, it becomes apparent that they were doable last offseason. For the most part, they fall in the category of lower line acquisitions that better balance out the roster and add an element of toughness to the style of play. It seems to me that the GM got fixated on the top two lines and the prospects in the system while losing sight of how teams are built and play in the NHL. (My opinion.) 

Edited by JohnC
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you review the signings that were made this offseason, it becomes apparent that they were doable last offseason. For the most part, they fall in the category of lower line acquisitions that better balance out the roster and add an element of toughness to the style of play. It seems to me that the GM got fixated on the top two lines and the prospects in the system while losing sight of how teams are built and play in the NHL. (My opinion.) 

Whether they were doable last offseason or not, Meatballs would have never approved.

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Whether they were doable last offseason or not, Meatballs would have never approved.

I disagree. Don G has been working in the league for a long time. There's no question that his forte is in young player development. However, he knows what elements that successful teams have that separate successful teams from the less successful teams in Big League. And even if he didn't, the GM should have the broader perspective to recognize what goes into building a competitive team. And he is the boss!

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He owns the building. That includes the hotel part. 

You been in town quite a bit. Does that area have much activity when there isn't a game or concert? Just curious. 

Edited by JohnC

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't believe this at all. 

Well maybe not, but lots of things Lindy said they needed to improve upon are getting addressed, even if in a low dollar cost way.  

It could be Lindy’s influence.  It could be KA has permission to spend more.  It could be Adams is learning on his own.  Probably a combination of all.  

This season should be interesting to see how it all shakes out. 

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You been in town quite a bit. Does that area have much activity when there isn't a game or concert? Just curious. 

We'll I'm never there unless a game is on so I don't know. Southern Tier Brewery took over 716. I assume they're doing well. I think Tim Hortons is still open. 

There used to be some small businesses along Washington St including (remember?) The Healthy Scratch (a Pegula offspring project). I think they're gone.

About that name, Healthy Scratch carries a negative connotation if you're a hockey player, just saying.

You have to go a block or more to find other place to hang out at. John Labatt House, Pizza Plant, HofBrau Haus, Prohibition and Ballyhoo I assume do fine. Then there's Buffalo Iron Works. They have live music.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I know its an unpopular opinion but I enjoy Pearl Street Brewery.  Great beer, good wings, two blocks from the arena and lively atmosphere on gamedays. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I know its an unpopular opinion but I enjoy Pearl Street Brewery.  Great beer, good wings, two blocks from the arena and lively atmosphere on gamedays. 

Why is that unpopular? They're fine. Given a choice I'd go to Resurgence or Buffalo Brewery (for the Detroit style pizza) but Pearl is pretty good too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He owns the building. That includes the hotel part. 

He owns the building but it’s a Shaner Hotel Property. He’s basically the landlord. Unless they put some weird provisions in the agreement it’s not like he can just walk in a grab a room.

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

Had pearl a couple weeks ago. Always solid and I like several of their beers. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

He owns the building but it’s a Shaner Hotel Property. He’s basically the landlord. Unless they put some weird provisions in the agreement it’s not like he can just walk in a grab a room.

I can't imagine Terry not cutting a deal on rooms. Where do opponents stay?

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why is that unpopular? They're fine. Given a choice I'd go to Resurgence or Buffalo Brewery (for the Detroit style pizza) but Pearl is pretty good too.

Is the pizza that good? Haven't tried it, yet? Detroit style pizzas around here are routinely small and overpriced but if they nail the execution I could excuse all of that.

I like Resurgence but Pearl has some good beers, too. They were at the vanguard of the brewery/restaurant paradigm.

1 hour ago, ... said:

Is the pizza that good? Haven't tried it, yet? Detroit style pizzas around here are routinely small and overpriced but if they nail the execution I could excuse all of that.

I like Resurgence but Pearl has some good beers, too. They were at the vanguard of the brewery/restaurant paradigm.

The Detroit pie at Buffalo Brewing is pretty legit.

https://www.instagram.com/buffalodeepdish/?hl=en

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.