2024 Development Camp

spndnchz

8 hours ago, ... said:

Is the pizza that good? Haven't tried it, yet? Detroit style pizzas around here are routinely small and overpriced but if they nail the execution I could excuse all of that.

I like Resurgence but Pearl has some good beers, too. They were at the vanguard of the brewery/restaurant paradigm.

???

You're in Buffalo; why go for a Detroit style pizza?  Maybe you could find a Houston style chicken wing while you're at it.

And don't understand the comment about the Brew Pub thing.  The Buffalo Brew Pub on Main just off Transit was something like the 8th in the country.  Pearl St wasn't brewing in the 80's.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

???

You're in Buffalo; why go for a Detroit style pizza?  Maybe you could find a Houston style chicken wing while you're at it.

And don't understand the comment about the Brew Pub thing.  The Buffalo Brew Pub on Main just off Transit was something like the 8th in the country.  Pearl St wasn't brewing in the 80's.

Lol @ chicken wing comment

Looks like Taro caught this triple dot guy makin stuff up 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Speaking of pizza, y'all ever gone to Jays Artisan Pizza on Delaware in Kenmore? Pretty good, recommend you get there early or do takeout. 

We tried three different pizzas from there at once to test them out given all of the hype. One was their Detroit.

Based on the hype, pie sizes, and, maybe most importantly, the prices, we were not impressed. The Detroit was the best.

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

???

Three Stooges GIF

5 hours ago, TageMVP said:

Lol @ chicken wing comment

Looks like Taro caught this triple dot guy makin stuff up 

@Taro T is being silly. How can I possibly be making anything up in what he quoted? 

2 hours ago, ... said:

the prices

When I was a kid we'd get pizza from Roma Italian Restaurant on Genesee Street just west of Union (now 33 Speakeasy Grill).  Small was $2.50, large was $3.50; add 50 cents for pepperoni.  We'd ride over on our bikes and carry them home.  We didn't drop them.... usually.

My first job was as a dishwasher there.

Edited by Doohickie

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

What the hell is a Detroit Style Pizza? Domino's? i.e. bad. 

No, it's a square-panned, deep dish variant.  Not as extreme as Chicago deep dish, and generally kind of crustless as in the cheese goes all the way up to the pan and gets a nice browned edge.  Check out the link in Promo's post for an idea.  It's pretty good.

On 7/6/2024 at 8:12 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

The Detroit pie at Buffalo Brewing is pretty legit.

https://www.instagram.com/buffalodeepdish/?hl=en

13 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

No, it's a square-panned, deep dish variant.  Not as extreme as Chicago deep dish, and generally kind of crustless as in the cheese goes all the way up to the pan and gets a nice browned edge.  Check out the link in Promo's post for an idea.  It's pretty good.

So it's Lasagna 🙂

Strange. I don't think anybody in Canada sells that. Certainly not out west. 

Probably tastes good, but I'm not sure it's actually pizza. 

• Agree 2
  • dislike 1

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So it's Lasagna 🙂

Oh it's most definitely a pizza.  Think of it as halfway between Chicago deep dish and classic Buffalo pizza.  In a square pan.

Buffalo pizza is my favorite style, but Detroit is a great change up once in a while.

32 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So it's Lasagna 🙂

It's not lasagna. The best description is it's like Sicilian square pizza, except for the cheese crisp around the ends.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Oh it's most definitely a pizza.  Think of it as halfway between Chicago deep dish and classic Buffalo pizza.  In a square pan.

Buffalo pizza is my favorite style, but Detroit is a great change up once in a while.

If you are ever in Hamilton go to Valentino's in Westdale (if it's still there). This was the best pizza I've ever had in my life. Nothing like it out west here. West coast pizza is generally pretty bad. 

55 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's not lasagna. The best description is it's like Sicilian square pizza, except for the cheese crisp around the ends.

I knew that I was kidding because of the square deep dish. I don't really consider Chicago deep dish pizza either. If you want all that stuff imo you might as well fold it over and call it a Panzerotti. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Little Caesars actually (pan style)

Little Caesars here in Texas is true bottom-feeder crap, but in the metro Detroit area it's significantly better.  Their pan pizza in Detroit is a pretty good Detroit style.  Here in Texas it's a weak shadow of that.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

When going to UB, we' go to a restaurant on Bailey on Tuesdays:  $5 for a pizza and a pitcher of beer. can't remember the restaurant and neither were great but, $5 for a college student (actually $2.50 if eating with the gf) was great

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Little Caesars here in Texas is true bottom-feeder crap, but in the metro Detroit area it's significantly better.  Their pan pizza in Detroit is a pretty good Detroit style.  Here in Texas it's a weak shadow of that.

You don't say?  The stores for a company who's main selling points are cheap & fast located 1/2 a continent away from HQ aren't nearly as concerned about quality as the ones that could literally have a corporate exec in their shop at any time?  Inconceivable.  😉

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You don't say?  The stores for a company who's main selling points are cheap & fast located 1/2 a continent away from HQ aren't nearly as concerned about quality as the ones that could literally have a corporate exec in their shop at any time?  Inconceivable.  😉

I know, right?  I remember when they came into Texas I was kind of excited because in Detroit it really was good pizza, but it's basically no better than pizza you get at a chain gas station like QT or RaceTrac.  Edible but not a treat.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I know, right?  I remember when they came into Texas I was kind of excited because in Detroit it really was good pizza, but it's basically no better than pizza you get at a chain gas station like QT or RaceTrac.  Edible but not a treat.

FWIW, Little Caesar's in Chicago is also not very good ... it seems like it should be free. And the only Detroit-style is Jet's.  This may correlate with random chants of "Detroit Sucks" still breaking out at 'Hawks home games even when they are not playing the Wings, lol.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So why is it Detroit then? They not have round dishes in Michigan? 🙂

We definitely don't have it around here. 

It's just the style that developed in local taverns.  I wouldn't be surprised if it started with an imaginative square pan salesman.

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It's just the style that developed in local taverns.  I wouldn't be surprised if it started with an imaginative square pan salesman.

The pans were leftover or extra pans meant to be used on an auto manufacturing line.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, ... said:

The pans were leftover or extra pans meant to be used on an auto manufacturing line.

Yup.  And the pizza really doesn’t share any similarities to Chicago deep dish.  Deep dish is practically a casserole.  Detroit style is very obviously pizza, but with its own twist.

• Awesome! (+1) 1