Current Projected 2024-25 roster

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is the signing of Reimer an indication that Adams is going to let him and Levi compete for the backup job and/or is he insurance in case he can't get a deal done with UPL?

I can see the Sabres starting the year with UPL and Reimer in Buffalo and Levi starting in Rochester so that he continues to play often.  Levi then gets recalled for spot starts early in the year.

I think they said the plan was UPL / Levi still. It’s good insurance for camp though where if there’s an injury or Reimer plays exceptionally well or Levi notedly poorly.

It’s definitely a “little things” move to be proactive about the *inevitable* pitfalls of the coming season rather than reacting to them in the moment (and sometimes much too late) during the season, as if you were hoping they wouldn’t arise 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

Depth chart (not lines) as things stand

Peterka Thompson Tuch

Zucker Cozens Quinn

Benson Krebs Greenway

Malenstyn Lafferty Aube-Kubel

Rousek Kulich Rosen

Murray Östlund Savoie

Wahlberg Dunne Jobst

Kisakov Kozak Neuchev

Nadeau Slaggert Warren

Power Dahlin

Byram Jokiharju

Samuelsson Clifton

Gilbert Bryson

Johnson Clague

Novikov Rathbone

Poolman Komarov

Prow Metsa

Luukkonen

Levi

Reimer

Sandstrom

Houser

I keep coming back to @Thorny’s post about how everything kinda makes sense if they add a good middle six forward. With the amount of cap space and prospect capital available, not to make a move  - even if it’s just another Zucker, even if they lose the trade - would be a gross dereliction of duty.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Depth chart (not lines) as things stand

Peterka Thompson Tuch

Zucker Cozens Quinn

Benson Krebs Greenway

Malenstyn Lafferty Aube-Kubel

Rousek Kulich Rosen

Murray Östlund Savoie

Wahlberg Dunne Jobst

Kisakov Kozak Neuchev

Nadeau Slaggert Warren

Power Dahlin

Byram Jokiharju

Samuelsson Clifton

Gilbert Bryson

Johnson Clague

Novikov Rathbone

Poolman Komarov

Prow Metsa

Luukkonen

Levi

Reimer

Sandstrom

Houser

I keep coming back to @Thorny’s post about how everything kinda makes sense if they add a good middle six forward. With the amount of cap space and prospect capital available, not to make a move  - even if it’s just another Zucker, even if they lose the trade - would be a gross dereliction of duty.

And it IS possible that Adams is looking to make a deal for that guy.

Did ANYONE here have Reimer to Buffalo before it was announced?  Just because we aren't privy to the attempts to improve the roster doesn't mean they aren't being made.  And, regardless of how many deals Adams was or wasn't in on that he couldn't get done, just 1 (at minimum for that 2/3C) deal would have people much more optimistic and 3 more (also bringing in a 2W and a 4D (though still expect Adams believes he has that already in house and his name ISN'T Jokiharju)) would have even PA downright giddy.  (Maybe even GA would be happy with all that.)  This kid would be pretty stoked.

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Did ANYONE here have Reimer to Buffalo before it was announced?  Just because we aren't privy to the attempts to improve the roster doesn't mean they aren't being made.  And, regardless of how many deals Adams was or wasn't in on that he couldn't get done, just 1 (at minimum for that 2/3C) deal would have people much more optimistic and 3 more (also bringing in a 2W and a 4D (though still expect Adams believes he has that already in house and his name ISN'T Jokiharju)) would have even PA downright giddy.  (Maybe even GA would be happy with all that.)  This kid would be pretty stoked.

Who thinks he’s not trying now? He’s trying. The issue of him not trying has I think been litigated. Some, I, for example believed he put it off far too long, and our backs being against the wall now “all of a sudden” is in a large way a result of that: but I think he’s trying to win NOW. Doesn’t everyone? 

He’s trying for a bigger add he just may not have the ability to pull it off 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Who thinks he’s not trying now? He’s trying. The issue of him not trying has I think been litigated. Some, I, for example believed he put it off far too long, and our backs being against the wall now “all of a sudden” is in a large way a result of that: but I think he’s trying to win NOW. Doesn’t everyone? 

Fine.  Long f'n week of traveling.  Just got home a couple of hours ago and should've been in bed an hour ago but am still wired.  1st sentence should've said, and it IS possible that Adams WILL actually make that deal for that guy.  ...

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The window is definitely closing imo, at this point teams are pretty much ready to go i'd say for the most part. The time to do these deals area round the draft and mostly by tne end of free agency not several weeks after not that it can't happen but using a signing of James Reimer (a free agent) is a little different than making a huge trade for a player like Ehlers/Necas. I like your optimism and I'll roll with it for about a week and then I'll be back to hating on Adams.

Just now, GoPuckYourself said:

The window is definitely closing imo, at this point teams are pretty much ready to go i'd say for the most part. The time to do these deals area round the draft and mostly by tne end of free agency not several weeks after not that it can't happen but using a signing of James Reimer (a free agent) is a little different than making a huge trade for a player like Ehlers/Necas. I like your optimism and I'll roll with it for about a week and then I'll be back to hating on Adams.

Well, the funny thing is, if the deal doesn't get done in the next week, it likely won't for another month & a half to 2 months, but a window opens up again when teams actually try to figure out which 23 they're going to keep and how they're going to be back under the cap.

So, we can all be frustrated a week from now, but there is still that final window opening and pretty much nobody saw Boychuk and Leddy becoming Aisles back in '14 and they got each for a 2nd round pick.

Not saying it will happen.  Just that it can.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is insightful and fits why he’s not trading for Mangiapane or overpaying for Henrique, or picking up Radek Faksa for free.

Just now, Taro T said:

Well, the funny thing is, if the deal doesn't get done in the next week, it likely won't for another month & a half to 2 months, but a window opens up again when teams actually try to figure out which 23 they're going to keep and how they're going to be back under the cap.

So, we can all be frustrated a week from now, but there is still that final window opening and pretty much nobody saw Boychuk and Leddy becoming Aisles back in '14 and they got each for a 2nd round pick.

Not saying it will happen.  Just that it can.  

Agree. It’s not a very likely time for things to happen by that point but certainly not unheard of 

IMG_4477.thumb.png.ea9ffa8b673ecdc43871e7784cd18db1.png

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

Teams will be working to sign their RFAs. Some of these signings will put them over the cap but they don’t have to make moves immediately.

It could be a long two months, waiting for this to sort out. A mercenary like Tarasenko might have to sign with the Sabres.

I have no control over this so all I can do is hope.

KA is reactive so nothing will shake loose until everyone else knows it too. 4 plus years should be long enough to know that rival GMs will gladly throw you an anchor rather than a lifeline.

Make things happen. Maybe an offer sheet would make the other guys realize you have a seat at the table. F*** your future draft picks, get a player now. Lundell,  too late, Pinto, too late……

If everyone gets upset at offer sheets then it gets changed at the next bargaining session. It is a useless tool anyway. Really, TP and his team have no respect, so why not go rogue.

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So where are we?

Forwards

JJP TNT Tuch

Benson Cozens Quinn

Zucker McLeod Greenway

Aube-Kubel Lafferty Malenstyn(rfa) (Krebs-rfa)

Defense

Power Dahlin

Byram Clifton

Samuelsson Jokiharju 

(Gilbert Bryson)

Goalies

UPL(rfa), Levi, Reimer

Flip the L4 wings. It wouldn’t matter but you have everyone else on their proper side so

Even if it was an "overpay" [and that is being litigated in the trade thread, not asking for that to start here] - I sorta feel like the McLeod trade falls in the "evidence the initial assertion of this thread was wrong" bin? 

If it is true (the initial assertion alleged by the thread title), imagine how hard GMKA is working to get these done ... might be impressive, lol.