Current Projected 2024-25 roster

GASabresIUFAN

12 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Trade Krebs, Joker, prospect and number 1 for Ehlers and Iaffolo and sign Henrique and I’ll be happier then if I was a Predator fan!

I think this is a pipedream at this point.  KA kept telling us that Krebs is a solution at center and that he intends to re-sign him and Joki.  Maybe we should take him at his word.

At least he's re-made the 4th line to where it might be effective.

1 hour ago, RochesterExpat said:

Random side note: if we go by fancy stats per 60 with the top 6 (for lines that played more than 60 minutes last season) and only look at lines using the players remaining, your top 6 will look like:

Greenway - Tage - Tuch

JJP - Cozens - Quinn

That leaves Benson as the odd man out. His numbers--much like the rest of the team's numbers from last season--were really only good when he was on a line with Mitts or, weirdly enough, Krebs. I don't think it was Krebs elevating Benson's game as much as Benson was on the ice matched against less skilled opponents.

The Benson - Cozens - Quinn line was effective, but substantially less effective than JJP in that role. The top line with Peterka - Thompson - Tuch was not a good line, but Benson in that role wasn't any better. Skinner - Thompson - Tuch was actually more effective than both.

I also doubt Lindy is going to focus that much on advance stats. We also don't know how Thompson's injuries affected his play during the periods where we were rotating his partners. I don't think Greenway is a first line winger.

Anyway, there really wasn't anywhere I was going with this. It really just shows the roster holes created by the departure of Mitts and Skinner. I love JJP, but he makes the team better when he's playing with Cozens and Quinn. I love Benson too, but he isn't a top line winger (yet). I like Greenway, but we shouldn't be relying on him as a first line winger because he isn't one.

Frankly, the biggest issue with using any kind of advanced stats from last season was just the massive regression the team took. Cozens in particular. Obviously Quinn missing half a season really skews things further. It's a mess.

Certainly not in the sense that typically means, but Lindy has a history of using Greenway types as safety valves with more offensive players: Grier with Drury, Hecht with Briere.

It's going to be fascinating to see how his approach to utilizing the holdovers differs from Granato's.

32 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Trade Krebs, Joker, prospect and number 1 for Ehlers and Iaffolo and sign Henrique and I’ll be happier then if I was a Predator fan!

I forgot Henrique was still out there.

Pretty much the last potential 3C UFA no?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Certainly not in the sense that typically means, but Lindy has a history of using Greenway types as safety valves with more offensive players: Grier with Drury, Hecht with Briere.

It's going to be fascinating to see how his approach to utilizing the holdovers differs from Granato's.

This is a really important distinction with Ruff.

At 5-on-5 Malenstyn could be playing with Cozens/Quinn, for example. Greenway with Krebs/Zucker. Benson on the 4th line with Lafferty/Aube-Kubel. It'll be about finding those fits.

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I forgot Henrique was still out there.

Pretty much the last potential 3C UFA no?

Except on the Sabres, is he a 3C or a 2C?

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

This is a really important distinction with Ruff.

At 5-on-5 Malenstyn could be playing with Cozens/Quinn, for example. Greenway with Krebs/Zucker. Benson on the 4th line with Lafferty/Aube-Kubel. It'll be about finding those fits.

Except on the Sabres, is he a 3C or a 2C?

If Henrique was 2C, that likely means Cozens is on the wing, which brings us back to the problem of Krebs being 3C.

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I say it could be 

I'll say it again.   Full year of Quinn . every young player a year older, an Average PP, difficult 4th line to play against and good goaltending for the entire season 

Ya without replacing Krebs it’s a “squint and you can see a playoff team” roster

replace him and it’s a “serious about making the playoffs and breaking this cursed drought” roster 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya without replacing Krebs it’s a “squint and you can see a playoff team” roster

replace him and it’s a “serious about making the playoffs and breaking this cursed drought” roster 

Maybe there is some more growth in Krebs or maybe even Kulich comes to camp and kicks the proverbial door in ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If it's true that Hurricanes and Sabres have a trade in place for Necas but was nixed cause Necas wouldn't sign an extension.  I would still make the trade.   Make him play out his contract - he will be motivated.   Then put your best foot forward, in a year he may change his mind....if not you've got more cap space to play with.    
a good season for the Sabres and they may no longer be at the top of everyone's No Trade Lists 

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

If it's true that Hurricanes and Sabres have a trade in place for Necas but was nixed cause Necas wouldn't sign an extension.  I would still make the trade.   Make him play out his contract - he will be motivated.   Then put your best foot forward, in a year he may change his mind....if not you've got more cap space to play with.    
a good season for the Sabres and they may no longer be at the top of everyone's No Trade Lists 

I'll add , it kicks the can down the road another year for either Kulich l, Savoie and or Krebs to fill the 3c position.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Maybe there is some more growth in Krebs or maybe even Kulich comes to camp and kicks the proverbial door in ?

Ya, that’s what I said. The first option is the “maybe” roster. We’ve gone with that a few years in a row 

it might work. It can be argued for. It’s not a no stone unturned offseason, though, and there’s certainly no hindsight type concerns that need be raised should it not work out. Aka “well what could Adams have done?”

We’ll have to see what the results are. I’ll tell you if it was a good offseason when we find out if we made the playoffs or not. It can, in fact, be judged entirely based on those results. We actually don’t need to decide now haha 

17 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I'll add , it kicks the can down the road another year for either Kulich l, Savoie and or Krebs to fill the 3c position.    

Good post 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You're crazy. You and Kev. 

I’m definitely crazy!  He tried playing a “heavier” game last year than he’s suited for, so hopefully with some of the bigger bodies around him he’ll become more of a playmaker.  At the same time, here’s hoping he gets packaged in a deal for a legit center!!  Lol

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John Tucker said:

I’m definitely crazy!  He tried playing a “heavier” game last year than he’s suited for, so hopefully with some of the bigger bodies around him he’ll become more of a playmaker.  At the same time, here’s hoping he gets packaged in a deal for a legit center!!  Lol

Well I don't see him becoming the new John Tucker if that's what you're thinking 🙂

Is the signing of Reimer an indication that Adams is going to let him and Levi compete for the backup job and/or is he insurance in case he can't get a deal done with UPL?

I can see the Sabres starting the year with UPL and Reimer in Buffalo and Levi starting in Rochester so that he continues to play often.  Levi then gets recalled for spot starts early in the year.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is the signing of Reimer an indication that Adams is going to let him and Levi compete for the backup job and/or is he insurance in case he can't get a deal done with UPL?

I can see the Sabres starting the year with UPL and Reimer in Buffalo and Levi starting in Rochester so that he continues to play often.  Levi then gets recalled for spot starts early in the year.

I would hope it's the former and not the bolded but I did have that thought. Personally, I think Levi should spend the year in Rochester. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Well, he’s a RFA, so a deal will eventually get done. I was more thinking they could be thinking about packaging him for 3C.