Plan B

JJP.       Tage          Quinn
Benson   Cozens.    Tuch
Greenway. UFA.      Savoie
Malenstyn    Krebs    UFA  

Edited by Crusader1969
  • dislike 1

17 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

The reason they didn't make it last year was coaching and the goaltending over  the first 2 months

a full year of Quinn, an actual 4th line that brings energy and a PP that's at worst average and they can make the playoffs 

They MIGHT be able to make the playoffs, but with the improvements to the Otters & Devils would not be banking on being able to sneak in at 91 or 92 points.  They need to be targeting 99.  Realizing it's still a work in progress, but at this point with the improvements around the conference (which means more tough games) 99 will be a tough slog.

Hopefully tomorrow we see some new toys under the Canada Day tree.  Because w/out them it won't be easy.

• Agree 2

A 2W and 3C, both established veterans. A gritty 4W to complement Krebs’ style would be great too. 

Peterka TT Tuch

TBD Cozens Quinn

Greenway TBD Benson

Malenstyn Krebs TBD/prospect

Picks/prospects might get you the 3C. The 2W is going to cost a roster player I think. Given KA spent a second on a fourth liner and it’s known he’s on the hot seat, I think Quinn + pick(s) or Benson + prospect(s) is the asking price from a trade partner. Someone looking to replace a late twenties or early thirties top six guy with younger talent.

Replacing Benson in house is easier than Quinn. Especially if the 3C is a solid veteran who can mentor the 3RW along with Greenway.

Oh yeah, leave the D and goaltending as is. Other options include Power or Byram to acquire the 2LW. Theoretically we are better defensively with the new 3C, more experienced goal tenders, and subtraction of Skinner. 

Edited by SABRES 0311
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

A 2W and 3C, both established veterans. A gritty 4W to complement Krebs’ style would be great too. 

Peterka TT Tuch

TBD Cozens Quinn

Greenway TBD Benson

Malenstyn Krebs TBD/prospect

Picks/prospects might get you the 3C. The 2W is going to cost a roster player I think. Given KA spent a second on a fourth liner and it’s known he’s on the hot seat, I think Quinn + pick(s) or Benson + prospect(s) is the asking price from a trade partner. Someone looking to replace a late twenties or early thirties top six guy with younger talent.

Replacing Benson in house is easier than Quinn. Especially if the 3C is a solid veteran who can mentor the 3RW along with Greenway.

Oh yeah, leave the D and goaltending as is. Other options include Power or Byram to acquire the 2LW. Theoretically we are better defensively with the new 3C, more experienced goal tenders, and subtraction of Skinner. 

There's not a single player in house anywhere, that's Zach Benson. Unless you're trading for Draisaitl, not interested in using 19yr old Zach Benson as a trade chip. This team needs more of what Benson brings not less. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

PLAN A

Benson   Cozens.    Trade
Greenway. UFA.      Tuch

Plan B

Benson   Cozens.    Tuch

That team will be worse than last year. I am ready for it though.

15 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

PLAN A

Benson   Cozens.    Trade
Greenway. UFA.      Tuch

Plan B

Benson   Cozens.    Tuch

Change to Plan B.   

JJP Tage. Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Greenway.  UFA / Trade.   Zucker
Malenstyn   Krebs   Lafferty 

One more move prior to the season I would guess 

41 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Change to Plan B.   

JJP Tage. Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Greenway.  UFA / Trade.   Zucker
Malenstyn   Krebs   Lafferty 

One more move prior to the season I would guess 

Random side note: if we go by fancy stats per 60 with the top 6 (for lines that played more than 60 minutes last season) and only look at lines using the players remaining, your top 6 will look like:

Greenway - Tage - Tuch

JJP - Cozens - Quinn

That leaves Benson as the odd man out. His numbers--much like the rest of the team's numbers from last season--were really only good when he was on a line with Mitts or, weirdly enough, Krebs. I don't think it was Krebs elevating Benson's game as much as Benson was on the ice matched against less skilled opponents.

The Benson - Cozens - Quinn line was effective, but substantially less effective than JJP in that role. The top line with Peterka - Thompson - Tuch was not a good line, but Benson in that role wasn't any better. Skinner - Thompson - Tuch was actually more effective than both.

I also doubt Lindy is going to focus that much on advance stats. We also don't know how Thompson's injuries affected his play during the periods where we were rotating his partners. I don't think Greenway is a first line winger.

Anyway, there really wasn't anywhere I was going with this. It really just shows the roster holes created by the departure of Mitts and Skinner. I love JJP, but he makes the team better when he's playing with Cozens and Quinn. I love Benson too, but he isn't a top line winger (yet). I like Greenway, but we shouldn't be relying on him as a first line winger because he isn't one.

Frankly, the biggest issue with using any kind of advanced stats from last season was just the massive regression the team took. Cozens in particular. Obviously Quinn missing half a season really skews things further. It's a mess.

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I like the signings but really…

Benson will be our 2LW? 😂 

Krebs is 3C? 😂 

While I'm not certain we're going to acquire one, if we do, the 3C is going to come through by trade or offer sheet. I'm guessing it's a trade. If that's the case, it's likely not going to be until the "free agency frenzy" has subsided and teams assess who has been made redundant via signings.

1 minute ago, RochesterExpat said:

While I'm not certain we're going to acquire one, if we do, the 3C is going to come through by trade or offer sheet. I'm guessing it's a trade. If that's the case, it's likely not going to be until the "free agency frenzy" has subsided and teams assess who has been made redundant via signings.

I sure hope it happens. Benson is not a second liner yet. Krebs will be a career fourth liner IMO.

I'm okay with the moves made today, it seems like we've gone from 220 grit down to 80, maybe. 

Worried about replacing the offensive production of losing Mitts & Skinner - the power play is going to have to make up for a lot of that.

If no other moves are made I hope we'll be seeing some significant ice time from one of our forward prospects (Kulich, Rosen, Savoie, Östlund) - we can't bring them all up at once and there's only so much marinating in the AHL they can do - or f'n trade them for a legit top-6 forward.