Rumor: There has been word that teams don’t want to deal with Buffalo

Buffalonill

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My distain for KA is well known, but I am going to partially defend him here.

In the last year, he has completed at least some kind of deal with Ana, CBJ, Mon, Colo, Fla, Philly, SJ(2), Wash, and WPG.  That's nearly 1/3 of the league.  Go back to the deadline in 2023 and you can add another 5 teams.  Adams has zero issue getting small deals done with other teams.  Where he fails is getting franchise fixing deals done.  In those 16 deals over 14 teams, only the Greenway and Mitts deals are of consequence.  

I agree where he falls down is,  and he bears a good portion of the blame but not all...  the abject failure and incompetence of an entire organization over a vast period of time. Getting a top 6 vet or Top 2 D pair vet to want to walk into the abyss that is the Sabres is simply near impossible.  Imo KA is a dead GM walking unless existing prospects vault us into a playoff run. And no making the playoffs and losing 4 - 1 in a rout isn't gonna do it. So to me he will fail to land the players we need to improve the team to legitimate status this year and will be gone. Just my take

30 minutes ago, JP51 said:

I agree where he falls down is,  and he bears a good portion of the blame but not all...  the abject failure and incompetence of an entire organization over a vast period of time. Getting a top 6 vet or Top 2 D pair vet to want to walk into the abyss that is the Sabres is simply near impossible.  Imo KA is a dead GM walking unless existing prospects vault us into a playoff run. And no making the playoffs and losing 4 - 1 in a rout isn't gonna do it. So to me he will fail to land the players we need to improve the team to legitimate status this year and will be gone. Just my take

Players, between UFA and NTC/NMC, have more power than ever before.  However, there are only a finite number of NHL jobs and the salary cap keeps talent from congregating in just a few teams.  Certainly the Sabres abject failures for the last 13 years hurts significantly, but I mostly blame Adams for the continued failures.  

He lacks credibility.  Yzerman stepped in started to fix a terrible Detroit team immediately. Briere seems to making quick progress in Philly and he is a rookie GM.  Adams seems unable to sell good players on his vision in Buffalo and on his the ability to execute that vision.  

The next few days are huge for Adams and the Sabres.  If he manages to bring in a few good players to elevate the roster he may just be able to change the narrative in Buffalo.  Otherwise, he’ll be gone by mid-season.  

33 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Players, between UFA and NTC/NMC, have more power than ever before.  However, there are only a finite number of NHL jobs and the salary cap keeps talent from congregating in just a few teams.  Certainly the Sabres abject failures for the last 13 years hurts significantly, but I mostly blame Adams for the continued failures.  

He lacks credibility.  Yzerman stepped in started to fix a terrible Detroit team immediately. Briere seems to making quick progress in Philly and he is a rookie GM.  Adams seems unable to sell good players on his vision in Buffalo and on his the ability to execute that vision.  

The next few days are huge for Adams and the Sabres.  If he manages to bring in a few good players to elevate the roster he may just be able to change the narrative in Buffalo.  Otherwise, he’ll be gone by mid-season.  

100% agree just didn't want to blame it all on him as this took a while to fall this far. He hasn't sold players on his vision nor has he built a pipeline of prospects that look like they are the mix needed to win. Way overloaded with finesse players and lacking those who will bring physicality and space management.  His management of Eichel I also feel had turned players off to this management. I can think of no other team in the league where the overall reputation is worse. I don't think it changes until a respected Gm with vision and a plan is brought in. Who that is and who would want to come here to do this I don't know.

• Agree 1

Moving away from the "we want players who want to be here" mantra has been like a punch in the face.

No one wants to come here, money may change someone's mind, but with other teams throwing money around, It'll be an uphill battle.

I also think the Eichel surgery fiasco was a bigger deal to other players than Kevin ever imagined. It has made a tough sell even harder. 

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

So this is the kind of nuanced thinking you’re used to from Andrew Peters?

And I thought the “rumour” was that GMs don’t want to deal with Adams. If what you are postulating is true, wouldn’t GMs want to deal with him?

No and no.

The English language forces all of its speakers to speak in nuance. I'm not defending Peters here so much as pointing out how ridiculous and petty it is to reject a claim A) based on one's personal feelings of the person making the claim, B) because the words used to assemble the content of the claim can be nuanced, and C) that is supported to some degree or other by observations made by persons other than the claimant.

So, sure, you can twist my meaning as you like, so long as it keeps you in favor of the outspoken group here who don't like Peters. I wouldn't want anyone to suffer having to be an individual.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, ... said:

No and no.

The English language forces all of its speakers to speak in nuance. I'm not defending Peters here so much as pointing out how ridiculous and petty it is to reject a claim A) based on one's personal feelings of the person making the claim, B) because the words used to assemble the content of the claim can be nuanced, and C) that is supported to some degree or other by observations made by persons other than the claimant.

So, sure, you can twist my meaning as you like, so long as it keeps you in favor of the outspoken group here who don't like Peters. I wouldn't want anyone to suffer having to be an individual.

But is it ridiculous and petty to reject an unsourced claim -innuendo to be more on point- from someone whose track record you are familiar with as being questionable?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But is it ridiculous and petty to reject an unsourced claim -innuendo to be more on point- from someone whose track record you are familiar with as being questionable?

Who in the media that peddles in unnamed sources doesn't get things wrong? There are far more inaccurate persons, literal tools of one-sided propaganda, who are propped up as erstwhile, respectable reporters of fact all over the media landscape. In this case we're dealing with someone who the cool kids don't seem to like personally and is also guilty by association, so whatever he says will be rejected and panned long before being considered as having merit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I wasn't sure where to put this, but the sentiments and themes here seemed to make it a better fit than in the free agent thread. This is the strangest comment I heard today and if you want to you can easily dismiss it, but maybe also consider it carefully and as objectively as you can. 

On Sportsnet, during their "Signing Season" free agent broadcast, they got Montour on the phone for his reaction comments (to getting one of the best deals on the day from his perspective, an overpay imo but whatever). They asked him about being back in the west where he started and how he got there and he said this:

"we (using that hockey player WE thing) started in Anaheim and then we went somewhere out east, I guess you could say Buffalo......."

I mean what the genuine f%ck is that? How do you say that and what are you trying to say? He's only played on 4 teams now, the memory can't be that bad, but how and why would you word it that way instead of just saying started in Anaheim, went to Buffalo and then here in Florida. 

Just consider it. Personally I think it says everything. 

On 7/1/2024 at 11:33 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I wasn't sure where to put this, but the sentiments and themes here seemed to make it a better fit than in the free agent thread. This is the strangest comment I heard today and if you want to you can easily dismiss it, but maybe also consider it carefully and as objectively as you can. 

On Sportsnet, during their "Signing Season" free agent broadcast, they got Montour on the phone for his reaction comments (to getting one of the best deals on the day from his perspective, an overpay imo but whatever). They asked him about being back in the west where he started and how he got there and he said this:

"we (using that hockey player WE thing) started in Anaheim and then we went somewhere out east, I guess you could say Buffalo......."

I mean what the genuine f%ck is that? How do you say that and what are you trying to say? He's only played on 4 teams now, the memory can't be that bad, but how and why would you word it that way instead of just saying started in Anaheim, went to Buffalo and then here in Florida. 

Just consider it. Personally I think it says everything. 

Was that Krueger he (Montour) played under and/or Housley? Seeing as it's actually both, I mean...that was a toxic time from top to bottom for the organization. Those coaches were brutally overmatched and out of touch. Those locker rooms were cliquey and aloof, especially with respect to vets vs prospects. Seeing how they dined (at Tempo, both privately and for sanctioned parties) was a steady glimpse into the disfunction, or at least distance, between players. 

I served Montour's first Tempo reservation after he arrived in Buffalo. 6-top of what seemed to be him and his nuclear family. He was incredibly detached, which could mean anything/nothing, but there were also other Sabres tables there that night and aside from I think Reinhart (?) paying his brief respects, none of the various Sabres present interacted beyond stiff greetings in passing. The outgoing vets had badly lost the highly drafted youngsters by that point. And those coaches were complicit.  

52 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Was that Krueger he (Montour) played under and/or Housley? Seeing as it's actually both, I mean...that was a toxic time from top to bottom for the organization. Those coaches were brutally overmatched and out of touch. Those locker rooms were cliquey and aloof, especially with respect to vets vs prospects. Seeing how they dined (at Tempo, both privately and for sanctioned parties) was a steady glimpse into the disfunction, or at least distance, between players. 

I served Montour's first Tempo reservation after he arrived in Buffalo. 6-top of what seemed to be him and his nuclear family. He was incredibly detached, which could mean anything/nothing, but there were also other Sabres tables there that night and aside from I think Reinhart (?) paying his brief respects, none of the various Sabres present interacted beyond stiff greetings in passing. The outgoing vets had badly lost the highly drafted youngsters by that point. And those coaches were complicit.  

Well ya, there was all kinds of things wrong with the team then but while they say things have changed have they really? The results certainly haven't, and players not wanting to be here hasn't, so idk, I really just don't know. I've said before that I think this franchise will not succeed under Pegula. Whatever it was or is, that was a creepy weird comment. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/1/2024 at 7:52 AM, JP51 said:

Agreed and the only way to fix it would be to "hire" a big name ex-GM.

36 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

Agreed and the only way to fix it would be to "hire" a big name ex-GM.

Exactly where I am at... someone with credibility that may have a player or two that is willing to follow them. Right now who wants to walk into a "we promise we can fix it" ... when after 13 years they havent. 

• Like (+1) 1