Rumor: There has been word that teams don’t want to deal with Buffalo

Buffalonill

1 minute ago, SDS said:

In real life, I would walk away midsentence.

I actually didn't recognize him until the third or fourth time we'd met and I pretty much blurted out "Oh *****, you're Jeremy Roenick."

The more embarrassing bit is we'd literally talked about playing high school hockey the first time we met and he even said he'd kept playing for a while after high school. I just assumed he meant Beer League.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

This one is equally classic. Apologize if already posted elsewhere.

All of the rumor posts really started at or around draft time. Are there players not willing to sign with the Sabres? Sure. But I see a lot of nonsense mixed in as well. We'll see what happens over the off season.

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Agree 2

On 6/29/2024 at 7:57 PM, tom webster said:

Once again it’s Andrew Peters being full of crap. 

I was gonna post this.  A caller told him.  Oh wow.  

There may be a few GMs that don’t like The Sabres Organization for whatever reason, maybe it’s agents they deal with, but highly doubtful there is collusion.  

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

Oh good.

I've been pissed off at the Sabres lately and even more after my buddy told me it didn't seem like anybody wanted to trade with them, so I called Petey to vent about it.

I thought it was a little weird he didn't ask me who I was before he Tweeted it out, but I'm glad he did.

Did you say your name was Juri ? 

18 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I imagine NMC's are at the heart of it and thus Adams is mostly looking at RFAs and younger guys without those clauses. Maybe it's more though. Maybe Adams calls and they say "he has a no move" and Adams replies "well can you ask him if he will waive it" and then the other GM mutters "oh for f sake" and doesn't take the next call. 

Why would the other GM mutter “oh for f sake”?  Why wouldn’t he ask the player if was serious about moving him?   Why wouldn’t he still try his team?  As we see, Buffalo has developed some very good players over the past 10 years or so.  

In the course of a year, working on trades is a small percentage of the time spent for a GM.  

My distain for KA is well known, but I am going to partially defend him here.

In the last year, he has completed at least some kind of deal with Ana, CBJ, Mon, Colo, Fla, Philly, SJ(2), Wash, and WPG.  That's nearly 1/3 of the league.  Go back to the deadline in 2023 and you can add another 5 teams.  Adams has zero issue getting small deals done with other teams.  Where he fails is getting franchise fixing deals done.  In those 16 deals over 14 teams, only the Greenway and Mitts deals are of consequence.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Why would the other GM mutter “oh for f sake”?  Why wouldn’t he ask the player if was serious about moving him?   Why wouldn’t he still try his team?  As we see, Buffalo has developed some very good players over the past 10 years or so.  

In the course of a year, working on trades is a small percentage of the time spent for a GM.  

Cause you don't want to waste your time looking up something you already know and you don't want to alienate your own players. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Cause you don't want to waste your time looking up something you already know and you don't want to alienate your own players. 

Your really reaching now. Lol

Our hockey team has hit a 13 season skid, our football team did a 16 or 17 season one. Were WNY'ers, we laugh at blizzards that would cripple most any other part of the nation, we're to thick skinned to be that gullible.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My distain for KA is well known, but I am going to partially defend him here.

In the last year, he has completed at least some kind of deal with Ana, CBJ, Mon, Colo, Fla, Philly, SJ(2), Wash, and WPG.  That's nearly 1/3 of the league.  Go back to the deadline in 2023 and you can add another 5 teams.  Adams has zero issue getting small deals done with other teams.  Where he fails is getting franchise fixing deals done.  In those 16 deals over 14 teams, only the Greenway and Mitts deals are of consequence.  

Agree.  Greenway was a good deal and I’m hoping Malenstyn is as well.  

I still need to see more of Byram, and Adam’s must make a deal to replace Mitts.  Not only replace him, but he should upgrade from him while the assets are there. Get a 2C and make the team better. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Your really reaching now. Lol

Our hockey team has hit a 13 season skid, our football team did a 16 or 17 season one. Were WNY'ers, we laugh at blizzards that would cripple most any other part of the nation, we're to thick skinned to be that gullible.

Or, because I'm not a western new yorker I don't have my head buried in the snow 🙂

Look, we can have this argument every year (and we do) and many things by many people are guesses, "reaches", and assertions and so forth but over enough time some things start to look obvious. The proof is in what actually happens not what we wish would happen. How many times now has Adams said "players have to want to be here" in various excuse pressers about trades that didn't happen or moves that were underwhelming at best. The narrative repeats and repeats, so believe what you want, but the only proof, as I said, is in what actually happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Agree.  Greenway was a good deal and I’m hoping Malenstyn is as well.  

I still need to see more of Byram, and Adam’s must make a deal to replace Mitts.  Not only replace him, but he should upgrade from him while the assets are there. Get a 2C and make the team better. 

A dream would be Monahan 

Reality..Wennberg

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Well he’s definitely wrong about the Kane thing 😁

They couldn’t promise McGroaty NHL Time this season, which is the reason he wouldn’t sign with the Jets. 

There might be something to the Necas statement. Per Friedman Columbus was willing to include the Fourth Overall Pick in return for a package from Carolina for Necas with an extension in place. Necas supposedly said no. 

Peters broke the Eichel Trade as Luke Tuch was his source. Since then not so much 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Regarding the bolded: that's exactly the kind of deal I think Peters is referring to. The challenge here is that the word "deal" is a nuanced word.

There's a difference between the hyped version of "DEAL!" used in advertising to the utilitarian version that's synonymous with "transaction". The word "bargain" is similar, although IMHO a more clunky word when not applied to mean "an advantageous purchase".

(FWIW, synonyms for "bargain" are: noun: buy, deal, pennyworth, snip [British], steal; verb: chaffer, deal, dicker, haggle, horse-trade, negotiate, palter)

So, with that being said, we better keep an eye on Byram because otherwise the Avs definitely got a deal in Mitts the SS Heartthrob.

Those small "dealings" are whatever. So far, none of the "dealings" for us have paid off. Not. A. One. (13 years) Therefore, while KA surely has been in contact with other GMs to "deal" he has been unable to walk away with a "deal".

Meanwhile, Florida, Vegas, and Colorado are pretty sure today they got "deals" in their "dealings" with KA.

I mean, again, with all the moaning on this board about Adams and his inability to do anything of substance, I'm stupefied that all of sudden people are talking themselves out of those views. It must be painful - you all have my pity.

PS. For anyone who needs a car, I have a Chevrolet Citation with the most exquisite patina on all the panels. Just needs a little brake work. I'll make you a deal you can't refuse.

22 minutes ago, ... said:

Regarding the bolded: that's exactly the kind of deal I think Peters is referring to. The challenge here is that the word "deal" is a nuanced word.

There's a difference between the hyped version of "DEAL!" used in advertising to the utilitarian version that's synonymous with "transaction". The word "bargain" is similar, although IMHO a more clunky word when not applied to mean "an advantageous purchase".

(FWIW, synonyms for "bargain" are: noun: buy, deal, pennyworth, snip [British], steal; verb: chaffer, deal, dicker, haggle, horse-trade, negotiate, palter)

So, with that being said, we better keep an eye on Byram because otherwise the Avs definitely got a deal in Mitts the SS Heartthrob.

Those small "dealings" are whatever. So far, none of the "dealings" for us have paid off. Not. A. One. (13 years) Therefore, while KA surely has been in contact with other GMs to "deal" he has been unable to walk away with a "deal".

Meanwhile, Florida, Vegas, and Colorado are pretty sure today they got "deals" in their "dealings" with KA.

I mean, again, with all the moaning on this board about Adams and his inability to do anything of substance, I'm stupefied that all of sudden people are talking themselves out of those views. It must be painful - you all have my pity.

PS. For anyone who needs a car, I have a Chevrolet Citation with the most exquisite patina on all the panels. Just needs a little brake work. I'll make you a deal you can't refuse.

So this is the kind of nuanced thinking you’re used to from Andrew Peters?

And I thought the “rumour” was that GMs don’t want to deal with Adams. If what you are postulating is true, wouldn’t GMs want to deal with him?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1