Official Sabres buying out Jeff Skinner

Brawndo

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

I'd debate that. I don't think it was terrible, but it was average and typical. The big D man might be good, but i'd be  more excited if we'd landed Basha in the second round and if we had to drop a pick to move up ahead of Calgary to get him I would have. 

We will know how good it was in 3 years or 4. 

Fair. Basha would be good

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The curse of Jeffrey is over.  Love the guy, but he's played the most games in league history without being in a playoff game

You would think that this doesn't happen today if we aren't close to making a move or moves

Necas or Ehlers,  another very solid bottom 6 guy,  Stamkos and Kane

Those would be my main targets

Other good options would be adding a veteran goalie that can win  and acquiring a physical Top 4 D 

I'm inclined to believe that he'll finally be on a playoff team next season.....not on Buffalo of course!  Another ex-Sabre who will find better team success after leaving Buffalo.

36 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

So two moves by Tuesday evening.   

I'm hopeful that quick Pim, but they have all off season to get it done. I can't see them not signing a ufa, and a trade. Both may happen later than 72 hrs, but if Adams is big game hunting, which he better be, the 72 hr window seems reasonable. I'm guessing, but I'm very determined the mindset is like mine in that off season war room. Cross our fingers......

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

And that's just it. Either enjoy the rental and set a realistic re-sign price/term, or deal him at the deadline when he's near 40 goals and get prospect/2nd to recoup some of what you traded. But everyone and their non-hockey-watching wookiee knows he's not a 3-zones top line winger and should not be paid as such.

Fans don't deserve anything, good or ill.

Hold up. So, if I shell out the $200+ to bring my family to see a game, I don’t deserve to see a good effort? Besides the beer, what am I paying that money for? The spectacles in the seats around me?

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just think Skinner’s buyout will last just longer than Erhoff’s remaining payments. 

I’m going to be optimistic and say that TP wouldn’t have approved the buyout without some key acquisitions in nearly ready to be announced.

Unless Ruff asked for it as a condition for returning. 

Certainly an underwhelming day on the trade front, but IMHO the buyout is still a pretty significant development.

I think I heard on a podcast that this is the biggest or 2nd biggest buyout in NHL history.

It's not a move that a franchise would make unless it's trying to win.

Now KA needs to fill some holes over the next 4-5 days.

Don't give up just yet gentlemen.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm hopeful that quick Pim, but they have all off season to get it done. I can't see them not signing a ufa, and a trade. Both may happen later than 72 hrs, but if Adams is big game hunting, which he better be, the 72 hr window seems reasonable. I'm guessing, but I'm very determined the mindset is like mine in that off season war room. Cross our fingers......

I agree he should strike early and get who he wants.  5 more vet players to go.

10 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Ironically, haven't touched anything outside of my recently prescribed blood pressure meds since 1987, the last thing I did was smoke a joint with my older brother. A full year before I joined the military in 88. But, I do appreciate the reminder that as I approach retirement, I can look forward to unwinding and roll a blunt while watching the sunset soon.

Thank you for your service.

• Like (+1) 1

I think this move only makes sense if you have a clear plan (i.e. are pretty confident in free agent signings), or you're desperate to do something and hope it fixes the team.

Current needs:

• 2x top 6 wingers
  • 2x third line defensive players
  • 1x top-4 defensive RHD

That is an achievable goal. But I think it's going to need a couple trades to make it work.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Fans 100% deserve a better product. The team represents the city and the fans. 

The concept of professional sports teams representing a city is often overrated. At its core, it is entertainment, with the athletes essentially being paid actors. However, unlike watching a movie or streaming a show, sports involve competition, a significant selling point for attracting audiences and generating revenue through ticket sales and television ratings. While sports teams may hold cultural significance for dedicated fans, they do not necessarily have the same impact on non-sports fans. 
Example - Chicken Wings and The Motor City.  

• dislike 2

4 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

I think this move only makes sense if you have a clear plan (i.e. are pretty confident in free agent signings), or you're desperate to do something and hope it fixes the team.

Current needs:

• 2x top 6 wingers
  • 2x third line defensive players
  • 1x top-4 defensive RHD

That is an achievable goal. But I think it's going to need a couple trades to make it work.

And the chance it’s not desperation? Less than 10%