Official Sabres buying out Jeff Skinner

Brawndo

17 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Just say no to drugs!!!!!

Ironically, haven't touched anything outside of my recently prescribed blood pressure meds since 1987, the last thing I did was smoke a joint with my older brother. A full year before I joined the military in 88. But, I do appreciate the reminder that as I approach retirement, I can look forward to unwinding and roll a blunt while watching the sunset soon.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Weave said:

This is it in a nut shell.  Easily likable.  Certainly entertaining as a player.  Love his scoring touch.  But that contract was a bad decision.

And that's just it. Either enjoy the rental and set a realistic re-sign price/term, or deal him at the deadline when he's near 40 goals and get prospect/2nd to recoup some of what you traded. But everyone and their non-hockey-watching wookiee knows he's not a 3-zones top line winger and should not be paid as such.

33 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Definitely a standup, very likable guy. But for a player who makes $9M while refusing to listen to multiple coaches, we deserve better. 

Fans don't deserve anything, good or ill.

9 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Ironically, haven't touched anything outside of my recently prescribed blood pressure meds since 1987, the last thing I did was smoke a joint with my older brother. A full year before I joined the military in 88. But, I do appreciate the reminder that as I approach retirement, I can look forward to unwinding and roll a blunt while watching the sunset soon.

Pro tip: you don’t have to unwind the blunt before you roll it. Once is enough.

• Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

No more worries about potential pre-employment drug screens, amirite? 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

If you are one of those who think Skinner was a bad influence on the team, not because of character, but the way he played the game, it seems that Ruff agreed with you. The young fella that claims insider knowledge over on that execrable Hockeybuzz board is still saying there is a plan and that Ruff would not have signed on apart from one. Says the team is going to look different and it will be a playoff roster.

Guess we'll see. Skepticism and entrenched anger after years of disappointment and poor decision making is entirely understandable. Still think Ruff has enough hockey sense and pull that this year's team will be more than an expensive pay for a fourth liner and calling up youth from Rochester. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Seemed like a good guy, but outside the 1st 40 games with Eichel and 2 years ago with Tage I never liked the player.

Out: Skinner, Okposo, Girgensons, Olofsson, Mittlestadt, Johnson

In: Malenstyn, Byram

On paper, this roster still has a long way to go just to break even 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Yep JOP. Years of hair samples, govt work, E&I field. They tend to frown on individuals with drug use working on nuke reactors, power plants, automation. 10 years to go 👍 

Imagine that. What could go wrong with impaired folks working on nuclear reactors! And the 10 years will go by much faster than you think.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JustOneParade said:

Imagine that. What could go wrong with impaired folks working on nuclear reactors! And the 10 years will go by much faster than you think.

I gave the thumbs up, but fully agree. I've made my bank, 53 now, 54 by years end. The wife wants me out at 60, and I thought on it, but 62/63 is my self imposed cut off age. I want to enjoy life past that and all of the 10/12 hr shifts then going to class afterwards will afford me that.

My advice to the young, stop buying in to the arts and social degrees, there's already plenty of them, focus on math. Just my 2 pennies is all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Well this is the best news of the day. The lack of trades by Buffalo for roster players at the draft had me a little depressed (L.A. and Utah making moves!) and their draft was pretty underwhelming but then I heard about this and so there's hope after all. 

The people here that are lamenting his lost production and worrying will be able to relax as next season unfolds and they come to realize it was a good move. There's no point in arguing it now, if you don't get it you won't, but give it time and you will see. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Admittedly, even while the drain was circling on this past season, I was thinking that if the old 1st line could even get halfway back to the ‘22-‘23 season production Skinner would be worth keeping. Then in that very late in the season game he turned the puck over at the blue line and made no effort to get back in the play and help out defensively. Just stood and watched. I was then done with him,

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Yep JOP. Years of hair samples, govt work, E&I field. They tend to frown on individuals with drug use working on nuke reactors, power plants, automation. 10 years to go 👍 

I was in a similar situation with clearances.   No more.   It feels good to not have to report so much stuff, keep all those records, and get those reviews and updates.   40 years of it is over.  

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Nothing good came out of this until we actually see who is replacing him.   

Skinner is somewhat of a poster boy for the dysfunction of the Pegula era.  Although there are many. 

I'll die on this hill.  Getting rid of Skinner is a net positive for this team in itself 

he needs to play on a team that is full of vets that already know how to "play the game". He will be fine in that environment.    But on the youngest team in the league..... terrible role model for the young players 

listen to the players exit interviews asking for tougher coaching and holding people accountable, there is no doubt they were talking about Skinner 

so yes today is a positive for this team 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

I'll die on this hill.  Getting rid of Skinner is a net positive for this team in itself 

he needs to play on a team that is full of vets that already know how to "play the game". He will be fine in that environment.    But on the youngest team in the league..... terrible role model for the young players 

listen to the players exit interviews asking for tougher coaching and holding people accountable, there is no doubt they were talking about Skinner 

so yes today is a positive for this team 

Probably.   Lets see what else they do.  

• Like (+1) 2

The curse of Jeffrey is over.  Love the guy, but he's played the most games in league history without being in a playoff game

You would think that this doesn't happen today if we aren't close to making a move or moves

Necas or Ehlers,  another very solid bottom 6 guy,  Stamkos and Kane

Those would be my main targets

Other good options would be adding a veteran goalie that can win  and acquiring a physical Top 4 D 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

What's the memo ? Tanking again 

No that there are standards and the country club is gone

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well this is the best news of the day. The lack of trades by Buffalo for roster players at the draft had me a little depressed (L.A. and Utah making moves!) and their draft was pretty underwhelming but then I heard about this and so there's hope after all. 

The people here that are lamenting his lost production and worrying will be able to relax as next season unfolds and they come to realize it was a good move. There's no point in arguing it now, if you don't get it you won't, but give it time and you will see. 

Their draft was actually very good 

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The curse of Jeffrey is over.  Love the guy, but he's played the most games in league history without being in a playoff game

You would think that this doesn't happen today if we aren't close to making a move or moves

Necas or Ehlers,  another very solid bottom 6 guy,  Stamkos and Kane

Those would be my main targets

Other good options would be adding a veteran goalie that can win  and acquiring a physical Top 4 D 

But they just got rid of Skinner?

head-scratcher-confused.gif

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Their draft was actually very good 

I'd debate that. I don't think it was terrible, but it was average and typical. The big D man might be good, but i'd be  more excited if we'd landed Basha in the second round and if we had to drop a pick to move up ahead of Calgary to get him I would have. 

We will know how good it was in 3 years or 4.