Official Sabres buying out Jeff Skinner

Brawndo

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I wouldn't have bought out Skinner until next summer. Lowers the cap penalty and you get another year for the young guys to develop. If Adams doesn't use the cap saving, this move was trash. You now need 30g and 30a replaced plus you need add to that total overall. 

And this move turned out to be ***** as expected 🙂

24 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

And this move turned out to be ***** as expected 🙂

He doesn't fit in the top 6 (would rather have Benson on Cozens line than Skinner) & seeing what they just did to reshape the bottom 6, he sure as #### doesn't fit on the bottom 6.  Would've been fine keeping him 1 more year, but they obviously didn't see a fit for him & having a $9MM F sitting in the pressbox waiting for a top 6 injury doesn't exactly scream healthy team dynamics.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He doesn't fit in the top 6 (would rather have Benson on Cozens line than Skinner) & seeing what they just did to reshape the bottom 6, he sure as #### doesn't fit on the bottom 6.  Would've been fine keeping him 1 more year, but they obviously didn't see a fit for him & having a $9MM F sitting in the pressbox waiting for a top 6 injury doesn't exactly scream healthy team dynamics.

I don't mind the bottom line's thing being that they are fast and hit stuff, whilst being a bit rubbish doing anything else. It gives Lindy a tool to wield.

That said, the third line feels a bit like the spare-part line. Krebs and Greenway are closer to fourth liners than decent third liners. And Zucker is fine but doesn't have a thing he does particularly well.

I'd rather have Benson - Cozens - Quinn be our defensively responsible wild card third line, and then have Skinner and two other players as our second line.

15 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I wouldn't have bought out Skinner until next summer. Lowers the cap penalty and you get another year for the young guys to develop. If Adams doesn't use the cap saving, this move was trash. You now need 30g and 30a replaced plus you need add to that total overall. 

Or not be down 3-0 early in the first period for half the games.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/1/2024 at 3:22 AM, LGR4GM said:

If Adams doesn't use the cap saving, this move was trash.

Still in EEE phase and just happy to be here until proven otherwise.

On 7/1/2024 at 3:22 AM, LGR4GM said:

You now need 30g and 30a replaced plus you need add to that total overall. 

As a breakdown:

JJP had 9 goals in his final 22 games once he started getting top line minutes. That's 32G per 82. I believe Skinner's top line production is more than covered.

The question remaining on LW is: can Zucker/Benson outproduce 2JJP/3Benson-Skinner's production of last season?   19JJP in those first 5 months; 11Benson; 5Skinner in those final 2 months. Need 35 goals from the 2nd/3rd LW.

(And can we get any scoring whatsoever from the 4th line?)

42 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

He’s gonna score so many goals for the oilers Jesus 

Eichel and McDavid/Draisaitl are going to make Skinner so much money -- and make 2 fanbases lament the follow-up contract.

Although we now will have to see just how good Skinner is in the playoffs. A huge season and a great playoff run and... does it kindle any HOF chatter?

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

As a breakdown:

JJP had 9 goals in his final 22 games once he started getting top line minutes. That's 32G per 82. I believe Skinner's top line production is more than covered.

The question remaining on LW is: can Zucker/Benson outproduce 2JJP/3Benson-Skinner's production of last season?   19JJP in those first 5 months; 11Benson; 5Skinner in those final 2 months. Need 35 goals from the 2nd/3rd LW.

Eichel and McDavid/Draisaitl are going to make Skinner so much money -- and make 2 fanbases lament the follow-up contract.

Although we now will have to see just how good Skinner is in the playoffs. A huge season and a great playoff run and... does it kindle any HOF chatter?

Skinner will either be great in the playoffs due to his pesky attitude and skills or downright awful due to his lack of defensive effort and proclivity to over ply the puck at times.

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

As a breakdown:

Your math is to break even, but we need to be better. 

8 hours ago, aristocrat said:

He’s gonna score so many goals for the oilers Jesus 

It will be interesting to see.

Skinner is good at scoring 2 ways...off the rush, and garbage goals right in front of the net.  That seems to be most of his scoring. PP, not really.  Cycling the puck around in a controlled way in the Offensive zone, he's not all that dangerous there.

So, you would think with fast guys like in Edmonton, he will thrive off the rush. But, can he keep up? Skinner is a decent skater, but he as hardly any speed.  Skinner doesn't even have average top end speed, he is SLOW.  McDavid strength is he plays at full speed almost all the time with the puck. Will Skinner be able to keep up, or in order to do so will he have to 'cheat' even more away from the D-zone?

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2024 at 4:00 PM, Crusader1969 said:

At least something good came out of today !!!

now they MUST use that money to bring in a legit NHL player or two! 

So this was an "addition by subtraction" move? I just wonder what this is going to look like a year from now. Edmonton seems fine with him. 

38 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

So this was an "addition by subtraction" move? I just wonder what this is going to look like a year from now. Edmonton seems fine with him. 

They were "fine" with Evander Kane and Corey Perry too. They're "fine" with everybody. Let's see how it works out. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

They were "fine" with Evander Kane and Corey Perry too. They're "fine" with everybody. Let's see how it works out. 

I’d suggest they were quite happy with how it worked out last season.  I won’t bet against them being right again.

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’d suggest they were quite happy with how it worked out last season.  I won’t bet against them being right again.

I will.

That team is so close, but it has moved in the wrong direction this summer.

If they take the final step, it will be because of McDavid and Draisaitl, not what they’ve changed around them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I just hope we are "fine" with this. I can see a few injuries happening and we end up wishing we just kept him, but it is what it is 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Skinner will score 50 in Edmonton 

Well, let's be fully transparent then. He may very well score 50 in Edmonton, only, it won't be because he's Jeff Skinner. If it does happen it will be specifically because of team mates McDavid and Draisaitl.

The likelihood he'd pot 50 in Buffalo was near non-existent. Look at the bright side, if he does net 50, at least it's in the Western Conference.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/14/2024 at 1:42 PM, dudacek said:

I will.

If they take the final step, it will be because of McDavid and Draisaitl, not what they’ve changed around them.

If those two weren’t majorly injured for the last three games they win the cup

• Disagree 1

On 8/14/2024 at 12:42 PM, dudacek said:

I will.

I agree. See how they manage that offer sheet situation too. 

If anything at all goes wrong for them I can see that locker room falling apart fast too. 

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Skinner will score 50 in Edmonton 

I don't think so. I mean, its POSSIBLE. Zach Hyman scored over 50..so its possible.

But, Hyman is a very good/fast skater. Skinner is not.  Hyman gets all of his goals in front of the net, Skinner used to but not so much anymore.

The thing is, to get that time with McDavid and/or Draisatl, he would have to take time away from Hyman.  I'm not sure Edmonton is going to want to give 32/33 year old newcomer Jeff Skinner the ice time and opportunities that nearly 40 goal scorer 2 years ago and 54 goal scorer last year Zach Hyman had.

Finally, look at the numbers.  Jeff Skinner for his career shots 11%. Last year he shot 11.4%.  For his career in Buffalo he shot 11.2%. He has never had a season at 15%, and only 3 times in his career he was above 14%.  Also, once forwards get over 30, the thing that causes their goal totals to go down is usually the shooting percentage doesn't get better with age, it gets worse.  

So, lets say Skinner plays the entire year. He takes away Hyman's ice time and spot with the top forwards. He gets plenty of PP time. And, playing with those better players, even at 32/33 years of age he bumps his shooting percentage up to 14%. If, IF all those thing happen, to get over 50 goals, he would need to take 360+ shots. I just don't see ALL of those things happening. Is it possible...MAYBE, but I don't see it.