Free Agency Monday

Night Train

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nothing personal, but I'm tired of hearing this every year. Sure he "tried", he better have "tried" but succeeding is what makes a good GM. 

Utah and L.A. are better teams than they were after the draft day deals. At the moment, we are not a better team than we were. We just have more prospects.

I get it. It is frustrating. And it was just my guess is all. Not being privy to what was said in conversations, if any took place at all, leads at least myself to guess on what actually may have occurred. Of course, we are still a day from fa, so maybe there is a plan in play that needs to play out in early July before we see what Adams is doing, but yea, it is frustrating given the last 13 yrs. Patience isn't just thin with an overwhelming number of the fan base, it's straight out evaporated.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Having him and Kulich, they don't need to sign anyone to a long term contract.   They can over-pay Stephenson  (for example) 

think we have to get comfortable with the fact that one of Benson or Savoie will be a top 6 player this season and the other 3rd line winger. 

I don’t think I want to be comfortable with that as I don’t see it equaling the playoffs 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

The more prudent move is a Monahan + Martinook (the names/faces are interchangeable, but a C and a W) for the bottom 6, but another way to improve the bottom 6 is to slot in a true top 6 forward and push everyone down. It won't happen, but take a legitimate run at Stamkos. Cozens moves to 3C or the wing. Stamkos knows his departure from TB leaves a void with them, and his addition to a BUF/DET lifts that team that much higher.

Be realistic, Stamkos is never coming here unless he has a games against us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I don’t think I want to be comfortable with that as I don’t see it equaling the playoffs 

You can't say that for sure.  The team last year would have been right there for 8th if they had a decent coach and goaltending for the entire season

unfortunately, Adams can't force UFA's to sign.  He can offer to over pay but we've seen enough instances where it still isn't enough.  

draft and develop is really the only avenue they have.   

4 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Be realistic, Stamkos is never coming here unless he has a games against us.

Maybe he is our super Mario? 

Sabres with the 3rd most money available after the Skinner buyout: $31.7M

Detroit has $32.7M, Anaheim $33.3M.

20 teams have less than $20M, nine have less than $10M

The numbers can be pretty misleading because teams have anywhere from 4 to 11 roster spots to fill, and a wide disparity in how much cap and how many roster spots will be eaten up by their own restricted free agents.

Long story short, the Sabres are better positioned than most to absorb a big contract, whether it is a UFA signing or a Sergachev-style trade.

Assuming fair contracts for their RFAs, they will have 4 roster spots open and about $20M available to fill them.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Hypothetically if we sign Stamkos and Kane for a couple of years that would be fun, no?

Almost impossible to know what guys like that are looking for in their twilight years. I suspect it's not Buffalo.

But if they are interested in a 2- or 3-year deal on an overpay, the Sabres are in prime position to oblige them.

If a Lindholm, a Stevenson or a Monahan wants to cash in on a stupid contract in a slim centre market, the Sabres are in prime position to oblige them.

32 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I think Stephenson seems like a Sabres signing. 

I think realistically guys like Stephenson, Carrier, Martinook, Wennberg are their targets.

Matt Roy would be such a good addition for Power but his market will be big.

Maybe a trade for Ehlers or Iafallo.

They better not overpay and I think it be a huge mistake signing him also 

6 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I get it. It is frustrating. And it was just my guess is all. Not being privy to what was said in conversations, if any took place at all, leads at least myself to guess on what actually may have occurred. Of course, we are still a day from fa, so maybe there is a plan in play that needs to play out in early July before we see what Adams is doing, but yea, it is frustrating given the last 13 yrs. Patience isn't just thin with an overwhelming number of the fan base, it's straight out evaporated.

Some people will come here, maybe not what we wanted. We have 20+ Prospects ready for a shot with Talent that can with NO PROBLEM

Rest of the League can go THUMP themselves!!!!

Sabres should have been in Playoffs last two years, Adams didn't toughen the Roster enough and Granto changed his Philosophy heading in the right direction two years ago!

I believe Ruff can take this Team, as is, to Playoffs now. Got D and we have Goaltending. We also know this Top 5 can score enough.

Rochester has been going to the Playoffs for at least two years, Players we can use there.

Malenstyn is a very good pickup, Gives us two BIG forwards with Greenway. Also think Rousek will come up as a Good two way forward on 4th line. Krebs is still Good 4th line Center.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I have a feeling Pegula is pushing for something crazy like Stamkos $11 million per for 2 years.

Have to move Cozens then or send him to 3rd Center for two years. He has played like one!!!

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I think Stephenson seems like a Sabres signing. 

I think realistically guys like Stephenson, Carrier, Martinook, Wennberg are their targets.

Matt Roy would be such a good addition for Power but his market will be big.

Maybe a trade for Ehlers or Iafallo.

Like Iafallo and Nick Foligno