Free Agency Monday

Night Train

21 minutes ago, Night Train said:

So they got one 4th liner and draft picks this weekend. I get the feeling. 

Capt. Obvious says they'll probably have to overpay to attract talent to come here, especially if they have choices. Lots of work to do. 

Who do they target ? 

Getting a top 6 forward to replace Skinner would be objective #1. 
if, by miracle, they do sign someone, they buy out Skinner and use that money to pay a 3rd line centre and another 4th line energy guy 

I think the D they have is the D they go with 

hopefully there is such an improvement in coaching and UPL and Levi can give them good goaltending over an entire season, they have a change to contend for a playoff spot.  

that's the dream.   

most likely , the sign a couple of more 4th types (much needed btw) and Jeff Skinner remains a Sabre and continues to frustrate coach and fans alike with his lackadaisical play and poor passing   But  hey. When it's a blow out and the opponent decides they don't want to play D that night , he might score a goal or two 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

Some players I'd like the Sabres to sign (I know wishful thinking):

Some players Id like for the 3rd line center position- Chandler Stephenson (UFA), Alexander Wennberg (UFA), Sean Monahan (UFA), Martin Necas (trade)

Some top LW options now that Jeff Skinner- Nikolaj Ehlers (trade), Joel Farabee (trade), Pavel Buchnevich (trade), Jake Debrusk (trade) ? not sure if he's a top line player (probably not)

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ... said:

What if we can provide Stamkos a compelling offer?

Like what 12 million?

6 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Some players I'd like the Sabres to sign (I know wishful thinking):

Some players Id like for the 3rd line center position- Chandler Stephenson (UFA), Alexander Wennberg (UFA), Sean Monahan (UFA), Martin Necas (trade)

Some top LW options now that Jeff Skinner- Nikolaj Ehlers (trade), Joel Farabee (trade), Pavel Buchnevich (trade), Jake Debrusk (trade) ? not sure if he's a top line player (probably not)

We had a perfect opportunity to use the 2024 picks for that  so I think that's out  the door

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 1

Are the Buffalo Sabres objectively better right now than they were a week ago? Did buying out Jeff Skinner and trading for Beck Malenstyn move the needle? If it did, was it even in a positive direction?

GMKA has a lot of work to do this FA. And, frankly, if other GMs don’t want to trade with you, it’s time to go scorched earth. Offer sheet Anton Lundell or Quinton Byfield. If those bridges aren’t open, burning them doesn’t change anything.

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Are the Buffalo Sabres objectively better right now than they were a week ago? Did buying out Jeff Skinner and trading for Beck Malenstyn move the needle? If it did, was it even in a positive direction?

GMKA has a lot of work to do this FA. And, frankly, if other GMs don’t want to trade with you, it’s time to go scorched earth. Offer sheet Anton Lundell or Quinton Byfield. If those bridges aren’t open, burning them doesn’t change anything.

I think Jeff Skinner was a good subtraction, he was a real liability almost all last season. A one dimensional goal scorer is great on a Stanley Cup type of team not for a team trying to build 1 imo. He will give us the room to add a guy who is offensive but isn't a defensive liability. 

Edited by GoPuckYourself
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

He will give us the room to add a guy who is offensive but isn't a defensive liability. 

I generally agree with what you said; however, if you have trouble getting people to sign here in free agency and you have difficultly making trades, the above becomes substantially more difficult.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I generally agree with what you said; however, if you have trouble getting people to sign here in free agency and you have difficultly making trades, the above becomes substantially more difficult.

Then we better hope either Quinn or Peterka is the real deal.

Edited by GoPuckYourself
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Yep Night. I think we'll be surprised this Monday.

I suppose I would rather overpay in dollars during free agency rather than with picks and prospects in trades as long as (1) holes are filled, and (2) the salary overpayments don’t cause cap issues when the dollars are needed in a few years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

I suppose I would rather overpay in dollars during free agency rather than with picks and prospects in trades as long as (1) holes are filled, and (2) the salary overpayments don’t cause cap issues when the dollars are needed in a few years.

I think Adams tried, I don't think he tried hard enough payment wise to make a deal or 2. That said, Adams also values the future and with that known, I'm guessing here, but maybe, just maybe, names like Peterka, Quinn, Samuelsson, Power and Kulich were brought up. He may not have been willing to entertain such, and, in my humbled opinion yet once again, rightfully so.

Of course, that is just a guess, but I'm surmising not far off the mark. Who knows really, it's just my guess is all.

• Like (+1) 2

The more prudent move is a Monahan + Martinook (the names/faces are interchangeable, but a C and a W) for the bottom 6, but another way to improve the bottom 6 is to slot in a true top 6 forward and push everyone down. It won't happen, but take a legitimate run at Stamkos. Cozens moves to 3C or the wing. Stamkos knows his departure from TB leaves a void with them, and his addition to a BUF/DET lifts that team that much higher.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I think Adams tried, I don't think he tried hard enough payment wise to make a deal or 2. That said, Adams also values the future and with that known, I'm guessing here, but maybe, just maybe, names like Peterka, Quinn, Samuelsson, Power and Kulich were brought up. He may not have been willing to entertain such, and, in my humbled opinion yet once again, rightfully so.

Of course, that is just a guess, but I'm surmising not far off the mark. Who knows really, it's just my guess is all.

Nothing personal, but I'm tired of hearing this every year. Sure he "tried", he better have "tried" but succeeding is what makes a good GM. 

Utah and L.A. are better teams than they were after the draft day deals. At the moment, we are not a better team than we were. We just have more prospects.

• Agree 6