Sabres Draft Pick # 108 Defenseman Luke Osburn

Brawndo

Also Osburne is a Sept 9 birthday. He's 6 days short of the 2025 draft so he's got lots of runway. I like the pick because of the upside and age part coupled with an already solid skater.

Just now, GoPuckYourself said:

Already in the pipeline you mean?

Yes. Kleber and Strbak were both round 2 guys the last 2 years and are rhd. Komarov is in Rochester this year. McCarthy, college 3rd round pick last year. None are shorter than 6'3" either. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Also Osburne is a Sept 9 birthday. He's 6 days short of the 2025 draft so he's got lots of runway. I like the pick because of the upside and age part coupled with an already solid skater.

Yes. Kleber and Strbak were both round 2 guys the last 2 years and are rhd. Komarov is in Rochester this year. McCarthy, college 3rd round pick last year. None are shorter than 6'3" either. 

I can't even keep up anymore, all this pipeline hopefully turns out great for us down the road.

Just now, R_Dudley said:

I have learned a lot about evaluating picks just reading all these threads, stats and discussions of the metrics used.

Thx for being a knowledge share. 

Same, Hockey is really hard to guage especially draft picks since they take so long to develop but I'm starting to get a grasp on it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

I have learned a lot about evaluating picks just reading all these threads, stats and discussions of the metrics used.

Thx for being a knowledge share. 

Welcome. Remember I don't know everything and to always make your own evaluation. 

If you look at a draft value curve so ranking all the picks from 1 to 218 or whatever, as you near the end of round 3 the curve basically goes flat. It's why I don't understand gms worried about adding a 4th to a trade to get it done, it doesn't matter in 85 out of 100 trades. There's only ever about 50-60 nhl players in a draft.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Would you consider him? Asking for your opinion. 

If he had qualified via birth date, yeah, I think I would have put him on there.  I was basically just looking for young guys with an above average combination of size, physicality, and defensive play.

I didn’t spend much time on it this year.  Last year I made the list too, although I spent more time on it.  From last year’s list of around 25 guys, Sabres picked Walberg and McCarthy off of it.

• SDS pinned this topic