Fire Kevyn Adams

Buffalonill

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That is a huge overly optimistic statement. Compared to most of the teams we have to move past to get in, we did less. A lot less. Relatively speaking the gap is wider now imo, not narrower. 

I'm comparing it to the team that started the 2023-24 season 

there was no way Adams was going to be able to sign a "top" 6 forward via free agency.   No one at that level will sign 

so he filled in what was desperately needed - evergy and toughness on the Fourth line

let's not forget it's July 2 not Oct 2nd.  he might need to make a hockey trade to add 1 more player to the top 9.  but maybe Benson is ready to take the role of 2nd line LW.   He certainly was better in that role than Skinner was over the last 4 months of the season   

KA finally did something that should have been done years ago after A billion people already knew what was wrong.  I do not think he has the ability to make a playoff team. He is showing it daily.  Happy he finally let crap go, but they were no Brainers. My last stand is done with him if he does not get a top 6 player. So in my eyes I am ready to move on.    

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

It's almost like everyone forgot what the biggest complaints of last season were 

1) coaching 

2) lack of physicality, especially at the bottom of the roster 

3) Jeff Skinner 

all 3 seem to be rectified 

you forgot the terrible PP, being unprepared for the beginnings of game and regression of our top players.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

You know this for a fact, or just throwing it out there to defend Adams poor job of roster building?

“Nobody wants to come here” is not a defense of the job Adams’ has done, but it is a reality that needs to be faced.  Part of what makes Adams unqualified for the role is his lousy recruiting skills.  We need a GM that can overcome “nobody wants to come here”.  An under qualified GM that you can’t take what he says at face value, and is lacking in charisma is not the guy that should be tasked with rebuilding a team with a ***** reputation.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

“Nobody wants to come here” is not a defense of the job Adams’ has done, but it is a reality that needs to be faced.  Part of what makes Adams unqualified for the role is his lousy recruiting skills.  We need a GM that can overcome “nobody wants to come here”.  An under qualified GM that you can’t take what he says at face value, and is lacking in charisma is not the guy that should be tasked with rebuilding a team with a ***** reputation.

Correct. The organization needs to be better at selling and closing. I'm certain we went after a few big fish - guessing we didn't come close.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Part of what makes Adams unqualified for the role is his lousy recruiting skills.  We need a GM that can overcome “nobody wants to come here”.

Well said.

It's also not true that no one wants to come here.  He has signed a plethora of lower level UFAs.  What he hasn't done is convince a good player to waive his NTC/NMC to come here or a high level UFA to come here and that is what @Weave is really getting at.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

“Nobody wants to come here” isn’t a defense it’s a criticism. This is a problem he inherited when he was hired, and if anything I’d argue that specific problem is at the very least at the same level, if not worse.

It is very much part of his job description to fix the “nobody wants to come here”. After offseason 5 it’s still bad enough that Adams himself uses it as an excuse. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

you forgot the terrible PP, being unprepared for the beginnings of game and regression of our top players.

Yep.  I was looping PP (so infuriating) in with coaching 

and these are the moves KA should have made last off season 

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

Just win baby.  That will change everything 

12 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Cough losing at home cough

Actually I thought that was rectified last year.   But can always be better 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think the next GM of the Sabres is already here and his name is Lindy Ruff.

Think about it.  If the team plays hard but is again falls short because of an incomplete roster, TP "elevates" his yes man Adams to some made up post, he then elevates Ruff to GM and Appert to HC.

So close, not Ruff.  Jason Karmanos.

The only Q is will the PoHO's he reports to be Adams or Ruff.  And if it's Adams then Ruff is a special advisor or some such thing.

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

I'm comparing it to the team that started the 2023-24 season 

there was no way Adams was going to be able to sign a "top" 6 forward via free agency.   No one at that level will sign 

so he filled in what was desperately needed - evergy and toughness on the Fourth line

let's not forget it's July 2 not Oct 2nd.  he might need to make a hockey trade to add 1 more player to the top 9.  but maybe Benson is ready to take the role of 2nd line LW.   He certainly was better in that role than Skinner was over the last 4 months of the season   

The thing for me is what did the competition do as well? Do you see his moves as coming anywhere close to the moves made by the teams we need to pass to make the playoffs? I don't. Maybe we stay ahead of Detroit and Ottawa who were both underwhelming and in Ottawa's case confusing but I don't see anything that takes us up a level. 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

It's almost like everyone forgot what the biggest complaints of last season were 

1) coaching 

3) Jeff Skinner 

The job to revamp the team is still incomplete. Mitts and Skinner are gone. Who replaced them? Right now that void has not been filled. It's indisputable that the lower lines were upgraded with more physical players. But the reality is that was the easy part to accomplish. There were plenty of solid fourth liners to choose from. It didn't take much in the way of assets to acquire that category of players. 

Are the Sabres an improved team? My response is compared to what. The more substantive question is: have the Sabres improved more than their competition? I'm not sure they have. A team is more than pieces. One part of the unit supports the other parts. When there is a void in one area, it undoubtably affects the other parts. From what I have seen so far, more needs to be done. As @dudacek pointed out in one of his smart posts, there are some good pickups that are still available for a reasonable price. You either do or you do not. Again, it comes down to how good are you compared to the opposition, not how good are you compared to last year's team. As far as I'm concerned , so far, the GM gets an incomplete rating. 

• Like (+1) 4

10 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

1) coaching 

3) Jeff Skinner 

No, the biggest thing was the “other component to the Byram trade”. 

come on now. We all said it. “This move looks good depending on how we address the Mittelstadt vacancy.”

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Cough losing at home cough

Sabres were better at home last year than on the road 

Edited by Thorny

20 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

1) coaching 

3) Jeff Skinner 

So I dont disagree here... but I would add... 

1. Coaching - check

2 Lack of physicality - hopefully improved we will see

3. Jeff Skinner - check

But I think there was a 4th complaint that may have been the biggest - you didnt add veteran leadership at a top 6 level to help your team. Definitely not checked this year either... 

10 hours ago, Thorny said:

No, the biggest thing was the “other component to the Byram trade”. 

come on now. We all said it. “This move looks good depending on how we address the Mittelstadt vacancy.”

Sabres were better at home last year than on the road 

That's a good non sequitur there.

9 hours ago, Berg said:

We lost good players and take nonames...

Adams looks like an alcoholic who took everything out of his house and sold everything.

I find these takes amazing.   We all watched last season and complained every game about this team being too soft and easy to play against.  
the bottom 2 lines regularly got caved in

how do we forget so quick?  I know it's been 2 months since the last game but still.... 

we lost good players ???  Who Jeff Skinner ??? 9 goals since Jan 1.  Rarely, if ever, scored a big goal unless it was vs MTL? And when he doesn't score he brings absolutely nothing to your club   Brind'amour wanted him gone when he got the job in Carolina , Ruff certainly wanted him gone this summer   I can't get over that people don't remember how bad Skinner was   

Victor Olofsson?   maybe you mean Girgensons?? 

who are these good players exactly ?

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I find these takes amazing.   We all watched last season and complained every game about this team being too soft and easy to play against.  

how do we forget so quick?  I know it's been 2 months since the last game but still.... 

we lost good players ???  Who Jeff Skinner ??? 9 goals since Jan 1.  Rarely, if ever, scored a big goal unless it was vs MTL? And when he doesn't score he brings absolutely nothing to your club   Brind'amour wanted him gone when he got the job in Carolina , Ruff certainly wanted him gone this summer   I can't get over that people don't remember how bad Skinner was   

Mitt, Reinhard, Eichel, Ullmark...

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

And what good players we are take now? Nobody from our forwards will score more than 35 goals next season. Nobody will get 80+ points 

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I love the fact that we got tougher (even if it took Adams year 5 to figure it out) but you now lost Middelstadt and Skinner with no plan whatsoever. So 1 step closer, two steps back seems like the Sabres way imo.