Fire Kevyn Adams

Buffalonill

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

@Thorny, what, you don't like the post or you don't like the sentiment?

NOONE here likes the sentiment. 

Well you know it’s the sentiment. But saying he’s focusing on a period of 2 years from now would be absurd to me. I don’t even actually think he’s doing that anymore 

I do think he’s trying to field a playoff team now 

I think he’s on the hot seat 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

This whole organization is lost once your top priority is waiting for Zemgus Girgensons to sign the contract you're ***** 

If we re-sign Zemgus I’m out until 2025. I’m not investing more time on something so frustrating. 

Edited by #freejame

2 hours ago, jad1 said:

The excuse that those guys had to move because they were toxic in the locker room was proven false when they became contributing members of championship teams, playing for GMs who understood their value and respected them as players.

This is not exactly proven false. Toxic is too extreme of a depiction, but in Buffalo they were the leaders. Eichel was the captain. They both went to organizations where they were stepped back to just be hockey players again and not team leaders. Stone is the undisputed Vegas leader. Barkov is supported by Tkachuk, Bennet and others. Entirely different situations. 

The problem here is although he deconstructed, so far he has failed at building a new culture. This idea of letting all these kids "grow together" is just bs. They need leadership. 

• Agree 4

43 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is not exactly proven false. Toxic is too extreme of a depiction, but in Buffalo they were the leaders. Eichel was the captain. They both went to organizations where they were stepped back to just be hockey players again and not team leaders. Stone is the undisputed Vegas leader. Barkov is supported by Tkachuk, Bennet and others. Entirely different situations. 

The problem here is although he deconstructed, so far he has failed at building a new culture. This idea of letting all these kids "grow together" is just bs. They need leadership. 

It's entirely different situation because the Buffalo GMs weren't able, for whatever reasons, to bring in guys like Stone, Tkachuck, or Bennet to support the core built around Eichel and Reinhart.

Those three guys were aquired by Vegas and Florida via trades; trades in which they paid a hefty price.

I think we agree  that the Sabres find themselves in a similar situation now.  They have a core that is in need of support and leadership, but the GM is unable or unwilling to make the moves, no matter how painful, for the team to progress into a winning franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

If we re-sign Zemgus I’m out until 2025. I’m not investing more time on something so frustrating. 

Do you expect KA to tell you what UFAs they’re going after? That’s called tampering. Hoping he’s working on something other than Girgensons coming back.

why don’t we all relax and wait to see what happens in UFA. If KA sh!ts the bed then we can call for his job

16 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Do you expect KA to tell you what UFAs they’re going after? That’s called tampering. Hoping he’s working on something other than Girgensons coming back.

why don’t we all relax and wait to see what happens in UFA. If KA sh!ts the bed then we can call for his job

IMHO - GMKA is too constipated to $hit in the bed.  He needs a laxative in order to make enough creative change to improve this team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jad1 said:

It's entirely different situation because the Buffalo GMs weren't able, for whatever reasons, to bring in guys like Stone, Tkachuck, or Bennet to support the core built around Eichel and Reinhart.

Those three guys were aquired by Vegas and Florida via trades; trades in which they paid a hefty price.

I think we agree  that the Sabres find themselves in a similar situation now.  They have a core that is in need of support and leadership, but the GM is unable or unwilling to make the moves, no matter how painful, for the team to progress into a winning franchise.

Yes, unable and/or unwilling. True. 

Remember though we had ROR as the veteran leader when we drafted Eichel, but for some reason they made Eichel captain. I hold to an idea I said back then. It was a HUGE mistake and ultimately we lost both. Just look at how ROR captained teams perform by way of contrast. Eichel did not have the character or maturity to be captain when he was named one. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

Considering the moves the teams around the Sabres have made, barring something major happening in the next couple of days, yes, they'd need a fairly substantial bit if luck to make the playoffs this season.

Still say Adams focus is on '26-'27 and being a legit contender that year.  Hoping we don't find out if Pegula is fully on board with that being the goal at the expense of this upcoming season. 

The NHL particularly the Board of Governors won’t stand for that. Revenues are dramatically increasing throughout the league and the Sabres are one of the teams that are preventing them from going higher. Large numbers of unsold tickets night after night is unsettling to the higher revenue teams who have to share with the Sabres. Being in the bottom five teams in actual dollars spent on salaries over the past few seasons hasn’t gone unnoticed either. 

Arizona, the Senators Ownership Situation and to a lesser extent the Sabres futility were on the NHL’s Radar. Two of the three have been resolved, the final one is coming into focus.

Another season of missing the playoffs means the NHL would suggest putting an experienced person into a position of power in the organization, much like they did with Toronto and Brendan Shanahan. Before everyone gets too excited remember Pierre Dorion and Peter Chiarelli fit that description.  

I do believe that the Skinner Buyout is the first concrete sign that Pegula is willing to spend money. Now Adams needs to make smart decisions in UFA and also complete some trades.

58 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yes, unable and/or unwilling. True. 

Remember though we had ROR as the veteran leader when we drafted Eichel, but for some reason they made Eichel captain. I hold to an idea I said back then. It was a HUGE mistake and ultimately we lost both. Just look at how ROR captained teams perform by way of contrast. Eichel did not have the character or maturity to be captain when he was named one. 

Someone In the organization had an unhealthy obsession with Eichel 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The NHL particularly the Board of Governors won’t stand for that. Revenues are dramatically increasing throughout the league and the Sabres are one of the teams that are preventing them from going higher. Large numbers of unsold tickets night after night is unsettling to the higher revenue teams who have to share with the Sabres. Being in the bottom five teams in actual dollars spent on salaries over the past few seasons hasn’t gone unnoticed either. 

Arizona, the Senators Ownership Situation and to a lesser extent the Sabres futility were on the NHL’s Radar. Two of the three have been resolved, the final one is coming into focus.

Another season of missing the playoffs means the NHL would suggest putting an experienced person into a position of power in the organization, much like they did with Toronto and Brendan Shanahan. Before everyone gets too excited remember Pierre Dorion and Peter Chiarelli fit that description.  

I do believe that the Skinner Buyout is the first concrete sign that Pegula is willing to spend money. Now Adams needs to make smart decisions in UFA and also complete some trades.

Someone In the organization had an unhealthy obsession with Eichel 

You left out a terrifying detail: The NHL did steer Pegula towards 2 different GM hires: Tim Murray and Jason Botterill (two of the worst GM's in the history of the sport). 

As much as I loath Kevyn Adams the GM, we as fans are caught in the catch 22.  We either maintain some level of hope that Adams can fix the roster or give up on the team completely.  

The Sabres have been my favorite team I was little and attended my first game their inaugural season.  I was at the Bat game and there when they beat the Soviets twice.  I’m not yet ready to give up.  

However,  Adams needs to add the following pieces by the end of next week: A middle six center, a scoring winger to replace Skinner, and at least one D who can beat out/replace Joki in the top 4.  A couple of these guys also need to physically hard to play against.  The deadline is July 5th Kevyn.  

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, jad1 said:

Eichel wanted out, first, because Adams refused to allow him to treat his back injury the way he wanted, insisting that he get a spinal fusion.

Second he wanted out because Adams wanted to tear the team down again instead of building around the team's current assets.

Reinhart wanted out because Adams didn't want to sign him to a long term contract and also he wasn't onboard with Adams' wrong-headed decision to tear down and rebuild.

Buffalo has had 3 GMs who had no clue how to build a team around guys like Eichel and Reinhart.  And Adams gave up with out really trying.

The excuse that those guys had to move because they were toxic in the locker room was proven false when they became contributing members of championship teams, playing for GMs who understood their value and respected them as players.

If the Sabres had a GM the quality of Zito or McCrimmon during the post tank years, the Sabres wouldn't be lost in the wilderness.

100% truth

18 hours ago, Taro T said:

Considering the moves the teams around the Sabres have made, barring something major happening in the next couple of days, yes, they'd need a fairly substantial bit if luck to make the playoffs this season.

Still say Adams focus is on '26-'27 and being a legit contender that year.  Hoping we don't find out if Pegula is fully on board with that being the goal at the expense of this upcoming season. 

Dude. That’s insane.

That would put the Sabres at what, 16 years? And the Adams era at like a 6-7 year drought? On its own that would be the 3rd/4th longest active drought in the league. 

That is a totally unreasonable time frame to “focus” on. 

• Agree 2

I’ve typically been a defender of Adams and wanted him to see this through. After that trade, I’m officially out.  Inexcusable trade and there’s no way him or anyone can say it was a good/smart trade.  
This guy was barely an NHL’er.  On top of it, he’s an RFA.  
Laughable and embarrassing trade. 
He’s gotta go.  

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He has improved the team since taking over. They took a step back last year. But because we are building though the draft and not through trades and free agency, it takes longer.

Adams was hired in June 2020 with a much better roster that included F Jack Eichel, F Sam Reinhart, F Taylor Hall, D Brandon Montour, D Colin Miller, D Jake McCabe, D Rasmus Ristolainen and a bunch of current Sabres (Samuelsson, Thompson, Skinner, Okposo, Cozens, Middlestadt)   they went 30-31-8 68 Points, in 21-22 they went 32-39-11 75 points, finally in 22-23 a miracle happened and they went 42-33-7 91 points and missed playoffs by 1 point, then they went back down to earth in 23-24 going 39-37-6 for 84 points, this is the improvement you speak about moving up 16 points in the standings and still being knocked out of the playoffs? He had a legit team to work with when he first got here and I get his hands were tied with the Eichel situation and I'm fine with that but please tell me where the improvements are? I'd want Sam and Jack over anyone on this roster, I'd want Montour over everyone but Dahlin. I'm not trying to call you out but what do you mean this roster is improved since he took over?

Edited by GoPuckYourself
  • Like (+1) 1

So, this fella I mention now and again from the hockeybuzz site posted this late last night:

"You all are depressed but what's about to come will make fans excited trust me I wish I could tell you but I can't

I'll see you in October"

Another poster on that board who is relatively new there asked about the reliability of the fella, and stated the reasonable objection that no one, after all, knew the fella personally. One of the few intelligent posters there wrote back this in reply:

"I do, or at least did.

Used to talk to him frequently when we both joined the site prior to him moving to Cali.

Lines of communication have been spotty at best the last 4-5 years but I know enough that I can assure you he has connections.

Fwiw"

Maybe fan fiction, but I doubt it. The "insider" has been on that site for fifteen years, and seems to have some credibility. Anyway, I'm going to maintain hope and at least see if anything significant drops in the next week. It just beggars the imagination that even the most complacent of owners would not feel some urgency at this point, and I don't believe Ruff wants to be miserable, rather than having a last shot at glory.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

So, this fella I mention now and again from the hockeybuzz site posted this late last night:

"You all are depressed but what's about to come will make fans excited trust me I wish I could tell you but I can't

I'll see you in October"

Another poster on that board who is relatively new there asked about the reliability of the fella, and stated the reasonable objection that no one, after all, knew the fella personally. One of the few intelligent posters there wrote back this in reply:

"I do, or at least did.

Used to talk to him frequently when we both joined the site prior to him moving to Cali.

Lines of communication have been spotty at best the last 4-5 years but I know enough that I can assure you he has connections.

Fwiw"

Maybe fan fiction, but I doubt it. The "insider" has been on that site for fifteen years, and seems to have some credibility. Anyway, I'm going to maintain hope and at least see if anything significant drops in the next week. It just beggars the imagination that even the most complacent of owners would not feel some urgency at this point, and I don't believe Ruff wants to be miserable, rather than having a last shot at glory.

Regardless of individuals who know, don't know, know but can't say, say a teaser and nothing more I believe moves are still coming and not small moves. Ruff know what needs to be done and KA, while seemingly unable for whatever reason to fill in the gaps at least these last 2 seasons is not one to telegraph his moves openly. Let's see how the off season plays out before forming the posse, after all, we've had 4 yrs to sharpen our pitchforks and soak our torches in oil under Kevyn. Another 60 days or so isn't going to break us. I hope......

• Agree 1