Sabres acquire Forward Beck Malenstvn for 43rd Overall

Brawndo

I am not doing jumping jacks for this move nor am I completely hating on it.

I do think Beck gives us some things we really need: He hits and he hits big, sticks up for teammates, PK, works hard, nice size anda. good team mate.

2nd round pick too much? I understand that sentiment, but 2nd round picks make the NHL 34% of the time, and that means just at least have a cup of coffee in the league. 100+ games I believe that number goes down in the low 20s.

I am frustrated with Adams at times too, but I say we hold off until 10-14 days from now and let's see what we are working with.

• Like (+1) 8

48 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That was in that interview I posted above. He certainly does not have that reputation in the NHL but I guess he hits people. Not sure it's much different to what we were told about Robinson though. I think I'd rather have this guy on the bottom 6 than Olofsson, but if this is all they do to address team toughness it's woefully inadequate. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm over it tbh. I wanted more out of trading that pick and we saw that around the league but at least this guy is absurdly gritty and tough. They need more though, in ufa or trade, they need more than 1 gritty tough guy. 

Edited by LGR4GM
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Weave said:

My suspicion is he becomes notably less gritty on a team without backup.  Shades of Connor Clifton.

Or Clifton gets more gritty with Beck added and some top cover. 

They need another gritty forward, then they need a gritty top 4 defender. (Move Joker and even Johnson if necessary)

pass the grit. Drunk John Wayne GIF by GritTV

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That was in that interview I posted above. He certainly does not have that reputation in the NHL but I guess he hits people. Not sure it's much different to what we were told about Robinson though. I think I'd rather have this guy on the bottom 6 than Olofsson, but if this is all they do to address team toughness it's woefully inadequate

This is likely where the concern about you misrepresenting Adams's comments comes from.  Your earlier post implied that Adams said the acquisition of Malenstyn alone addressed the issue of team toughness.  Maybe that isn't what you meant. Adams didn't say he is done addressing this issue, only that this player checked the boxes of what they are looking for. 

So, yes, if this is all they do to address team toughness it is woefully inadequate.  But, Adams did not say this is all they need to do or that it is all that they plan to do. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Trade is fine doesnt move the needle much but fine... KA needs to learn to play Poker better... change up his strategies so others dont get a full read on him... play possom sometimes... be aggressive others, be shrewd, tough and others play dumb... he has a few of these down but its the same old schtick and too easy to read... he needs to make deals earlier instead scraping the bottom of the barrel late... if a team is playing games... back out and be public about it even if you still intend to talk later... etc..

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

They need another gritty forward, then they need a gritty top 4 defender. (Move Joker and even Johnson if necessary)

I think they will add at least one more gritty forward.  If they add a gritty D-man I think it will be a 7th-8th D, and I still think they will bring Brendan Smith in for that role.  I don't think we will add a top-4 D. 

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The Coen brothers did an excellent remake of this movie about 10 years ago starring Jeff Bridges and … Josh Allen’s GF!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The Coen brothers did an excellent remake of this movie about 10 years ago starring Jeff Bridges and … Josh Allen’s GF!

Jeff did well in the role to be sure, but nothin' in at least my lifetime will roll above "The Duke". My grandparents (1922 and 24 birth years) were primary figures in my life. I spent a countless amount of my childhood with them, living with them for 6 out of my first 18 yrs. The golden era of Hollywood, as it's sometimes called, was a staple of my viewings. But ya, Jeff did really good.

15 minutes ago, postseasonblues said:

Probably an overpay by giving up a 2nd, but considering they had 2 and are loaded with prospects, it's really not a big deal. 2nd rounders have about a 25% chance of making the NHL, they got an NHL player out of one of them. 

It is a big deal Mangiapane was traded for a 2nd .

Buffalo got a press box player for a 2nd 

doesnt_make_any_sense_anchorman.gif

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Agree 1