Sabres acquire Forward Beck Malenstvn for 43rd Overall

Brawndo

Just now, ... said:

Yes, Lindy's approval is a given. My point is that it's thanks to Appert this guy showed up on the radar. 

Didn’t someone just mention that Lindy saw him firsthand in the playoffs Caps vs the Devils? My apologies if this is a stupid question, I did not look up any of this myself.

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

Didn’t someone just mention that Lindy saw him firsthand in the playoffs Caps vs the Devils? My apologies if this is a stupid question, I did not look up any of this myself.

Totally possible. We're both speculating on how this player showed up on the Sabres radar and then warranted a second round pick.

If both Ruff and Appert were aware of him it makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

And Marino. And for only a few picks. Remade their top 4.

Take a look at how many defensemen they had under contract prior to these moves. They didn’t have a top 4. They had a top 1. 

I just got back on the grid after camping the last few days. Just saw this pickup and was horrified like everybody else.

I saw the post by @bg17. I looked into it and it wasn't quite right, his number of shifts on the fly was not out of line. What WAS out of line was the defensive zone starts. 

I haven't gone through all 8 pages, but did someone post this?

This would HIGHLY skew his expected goal stats. Could the Sabres advanced analytics crew have a correction factor for the standard advanced stats based on the extreme number of defensive zone starts?

Screenshot_20240629-174555.thumb.png.99b3bb83087c2997197a1113f27b1a39.png

Edit: I just checked again and he had the 2nd lowest in the league offensive zone starts as well.

Screenshot_20240629-175008.thumb.png.13869e74831b30bef195ee59c3521291.png

So 2nd most defense starts, 2nd least offensive starts. I can't say for sure but I think our guys did some homework. Was a 2nd too much? Maybe. Is it a guaranteed bust of a move? I'm thinking it might not be.

Edited by JoeSchmoe
  • Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I just realized Beck is an RFA with Arb rights.  You go Kevyn.  

Lol thought he was signed for 3 years 

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

PLEASE don’t bring Girgensons back. 

This team is just so dumb just please let him go

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Given the price they paid for him, I really hope your reasoning is better than mine 

If he can be spun right now into Dakota Joshua in theory, does that mean he can be seen as Adams “big swing” this offseason? 

Edited by Thorny

Just looking at this thread again, I see my previous post was too wordy. Here's the summary:

Malenstvn had the 2ND HIGHEST DEFENSIVE ZONE % starts in the league (next to his linemate).

He also had the 2ND LEAST OFFENSIVE ZONE % starts in the league. 

Regular stats or even entry level advanced stats don't apply to this guy.

Edited by JoeSchmoe
Added the %
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I just watched Adams post draft presser and he thinks this guy fills the teams need for physicality. This franchise is so clueless it's beyond absurdity. 

Absolute misrepresentation on your part. What’s to be gained by doing so?