Sabres acquire Forward Beck Malenstvn for 43rd Overall

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, ... said:

Right. This is implied in what I said.

To add: we, as a fanbase, are going to have to get used to seeing the value in whatever moves we make as relative to our needs and not in how a player may fit in to the abstract concept of an imaginary team built with abstract, imaginary statistical players.

The sticking point re: the imagination of the fans not coming to fruition is that the part that remains imaginary is making the playoffs 

No one would actually care about the format used to build the team if it *ever actually worked*

Fans don’t need to get used to seeing anything if it’s not success 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Even Jeannot had a modified NTC with 16 teams. It's very unlikely he was going to allow himself to join this decade-long trainwreck.

Yeah, that's probably the case. Sad but unavoidable. As far as FA's go, they'll have to really over pay. That's what a decade + of losing and ineptitude does. I don't want to hear KA complain. They did this to themselves. 

• Agree 1

Just now, gomper said:

Yeah, that's probably the case. Sad but unavoidable. As far as FA's go, they'll have to really over pay. That's what a decade + of losing and ineptitude does. I don't want to hear KA complain. They did this to themselves. 

Yup. It was a choice. Multiple times they made the choice to tank and rebuild and stay way below the cap. The players and their agents know it.

9 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Yup. It was a choice. Multiple times they made the choice to tank and rebuild and stay way below the cap. The players and their agents know it.

The idea to stay below the cap for so many years sent a message to the league alright. 

That cap savings was supposed to be to pay their homegrown prospects, but now Adams has figured out he can't win with a 24 year old lineup, so he is trying to do what other GMs have been doing all along.  Which is to field the best team you can, always.   Play to win.   

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Derrico said:

The only positive spin I see is we traded a prospect that won’t be NHL ready for 3+ years (if at all) for a guy who should be able to step in and hopefully help PK and 4th line next season.  

Maybe they could have got someone equivalent on July 1.  The playoff drought and lack of interest in joining this franchise seems more obvious this offseason than in recent memory.  Sabres have to overpay and it sucks.  It needs to change.  They need to start winning.  Sickening we’re at this point. 

Key word is maybe.   Is it possible all their targets for the 4th line in UFA have already signed (like Joshua) or their agents have told Adams not interested?  Not defending move at all, just asking if their options  are extremely limited.  If July 1st is fruitless, then we know the “Buffalo premium” has reached an all time high. Seeing the returns from the other trades is disheartening.  

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is Matt implying that Adams received the least value for his pick?

On the surface the data could say that.   

Malenstvn just might be better than his Washington fancy stats indicate though.  

He is one of our 4th line additions and a shutdown/PK player.   Check one box. 

By my count there are 5 more boxes to go - 2 centers (replace Mitts, add 4C), a top 6 winger (replace Skinner), a RHD (add a physical top 4 guy), and another bottom 6 winger (Lindy wants a policeman).  

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, bg17 said:

“we need to improve the bottom 6 and be harder to play against” 

A guy that kills penalties, blocks shots, hits, and was described in one article as Washington’s best skater.

I hate it. 

Yea, I'm over it. Feel better after venting and learning more but skeptical liger is skeptical 

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

By my count there are 5 more boxes to go - 2 centers (replace Mitts, add 4C), a top 6 winger (replace Skinner), a RHD (add a physical top 4 guy), and another bottom 6 winger (Lindy wants a policeman).  

Very possible. Could be fancy stats team thinks that too. 

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I would like to see your 5 boxes filled as well....however I fear GMKA only wants 1 more center and will keep Skinner (leaving 3 boxes).  I also think he'll roll with Joki and not pursue another RHD....that leaves 2 boxes.  I don't count Eric Johnson type signings as filling the box....but GMKA may differ.  

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

How many of those 5 boxes will be checked…adequately?

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

had 241 hits last season (tied for 12th), was on Washingtons shutdown line. Seems like the guy I was asking for

Farm kid. Character guy. If he’s willing to protect our top players, he’s a nice addition.

From Washington Post article in April ‘23:

“One of the hardest-working players on the team, Malenstyn leads the Capitals in hits with 209 (finished with 241) and is first among forwards in blocked shots with 87 (finished with 93)Even when Washington makes a practice optional, Malenstyn is nearly always on the ice — except for the rare day that he’s forced into taking a day off, usually to give the bumps and bruises from his physical play time to recover.”

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Believer said:

Farm kid. Character guy. If he’s willing to protect our top players, he’s a nice addition.

From Washington Post article in April ‘23:

“One of the hardest-working players on the team, Malenstyn leads the Capitals in hits with 209 (finished with 241) and is first among forwards in blocked shots with 87 (finished with 93)Even when Washington makes a practice optional, Malenstyn is nearly always on the ice — except for the rare day that he’s forced into taking a day off, usually to give the bumps and bruises from his physical play time to recover.”

Fine fine. I don't hate it. I don't love it but this team desperately needs more hardest working.