Sabres acquire Forward Beck Malenstvn for 43rd Overall

Brawndo

😂😂😂😂 We've been so bad and terrible at just about everything, that I have comfortably removed myself from the emotion of this off-season. So while this looks just purely awful on paper. I just can't get upset... you hire guys with no skill, this is what happens. Rinse, repeat. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The only positive spin I see is we traded a prospect that won’t be NHL ready for 3+ years (if at all) for a guy who should be able to step in and hopefully help PK and 4th line next season.  

Maybe they could have got someone equivalent on July 1.  The playoff drought and lack of interest in joining this franchise seems more obvious this offseason than in recent memory.  Sabres have to overpay and it sucks.  It needs to change.  They need to start winning.  Sickening we’re at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Look if this was a 3rd or a 4th, whatever. They overpay on these 4th line guys constantly. It's insane. All the best to him though. At least he's tough and can play hockey. Also Washington sucked last year so maybe he'll be better in Buffalo. 

Until we see a larger strategy this a bandaid on a bullet hole. 

The overpayment talk is starting to strike me as spreadsheet fandom. I therefore suggest you stay off the analytic sites for a couple days. (Lol.)

As for this piece: I don’t think this move is intended to dress the wound you have in mind.

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Contextually this makes zero sense.

Players don’t go “fine I’ll go to Buffalo, but only if you give my former team a 2nd. That’s the only way!”

Barring a NMC, the players have nothing to do with the trade. The other GMs across the league know the position we're in and will take advantage of it. There will be no fair trades for us.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is such a good point.

It feels a bit like there’s a camp of people saying “another 1st round forward prospect? where can he even fit?” and also a camp of “Adams overpaid.” Maybe those are different people?

I don’t care a bit if this is an overpayment (within reason). Mangiapane was clearly not coming here. All I care about: Is this guy a useful NHLer? I sure hope so.

Did he actually say no to Buffalo or do you just think that?   Did he have a NTC/NMC?  

As for the overpayment, I agree with you.  If we can just break through this abyss, get to the playoffs and then  be competitive, then good players would be willing to come here.  Vets just want a chance to win, and they want to play in front of a big enthusiastic crowds.   

McDermott and Beane turned the Bills culture around in short order.  The city is not glamourous but it has many positives, but being dedicated to winning has to be a priority.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, ... said:

Barring a NMC, the players have nothing to do with the trade. The other GMs across the league know the position we're in and will take advantage of it. There will be no fair trades for us.

I kinda think that even where there is no NMC/NTC, most of the time GMs will try to send players into good situations -- which the Sabres assuredly are not -- unless there is a big spread in the trade return.  I doubt the Caps could've gotten a good #2 pick for Beck anywhere else.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The overpayment talk is starting to strike me as spreadsheet fandom. I therefore suggest you stay off the analytic sites for a couple days. (Lol.)

As for this piece: I don’t think this move is intended to dress the wound you have in mind.

Oh it is? What did Tanner Jeannot get traded for 20 min later?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I kinda think that even where there is no NMC/NTC, most of the time GMs will try to send players into good situations -- which the Sabres assuredly are not -- unless there is a big spread in the trade return.  I doubt the Caps could've gotten a good #2 pick for Beck anywhere else.

Right. This is implied in what I said.

To add: we, as a fanbase, are going to have to get used to seeing the value in whatever moves we make as relative to our needs and not in how a player may fit in to the abstract concept of an imaginary team built with abstract, imaginary statistical players.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Did he actually say no to Buffalo or do you just think that?   Did he have a NTC/NMC?  

It is an inescapable inference.

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh it is? What did Tanner Jeannot get traded for 20 min later?

No idea what that signifies. And I told you to close out those nerd tabs for a bit.

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Even Jeannot had a modified NTC with 16 teams. It's very unlikely he was going to allow himself to join this decade-long trainwreck.

The Office Thank You GIF

• Like (+1) 1