Sabres acquire Forward Beck Malenstvn for 43rd Overall

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Overpaying for guys you really want to target is okay. Far better than moneyballing some stupid stat or assuming all 4th liners are equivalent so choose the cheapest one. 

We just all have PTSD from Murray overpaying a decades worth of capital within a season for a whole bunch of duds and not a thought to cultural fit. 

Not saying it’s right or wrong, but they definitely moneyballed the “speed” attribute 

They do seem to obsess over specific on-the-fringes, pidgeonholed data points rather than focusing on the broad picture - I imagine they feel they either can’t figure out a way to make sense of the whole, so dive deep, or feel their analytics present them with underutilized, “moneyball” avenues for improvement 

problem is the results have been less akin to Billy Beane, and more so Mr. Bean

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Not saying it’s right or wrong, but they definitely moneyballed the “speed” attribute 

I don't agree entirely. They found players with very good shot suppression metrics who are also fast. Think it's a combination. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I don't agree entirely. They found players with very good shot suppression metrics who are also fast. Think it's a combination. 

Their reported interest in Ehlers leads to to believe they were targeting fast players, who also have good suppression metrics, sometimes 

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Targeting an attribute is a little different than moneyballing one. The latter is about finding guys for dirt cheap and paying them dirt cheap because the stat isn’t universally recognized.   These weren’t all cheap

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Targeting an attribute is a little different than moneyballing one. The latter is about finding guys for dirt cheap and paying them dirt cheap because the stat isn’t universally recognized.   These weren’t all cheap

Money wise they are. The bottom 6 is worth what? 9 million or less?

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Double edged sword. I’d venture a guess they are more likely to be right by doing so, but if they aren’t it’s a more disastrous miss.  I’m not sure the distinction you draw is a meaningful one: the sabres aren’t getting anyone for dirt cheap, I agree with those saying there’s a buffalo tax on pretty much every addition. 

the moneyball distinction isn’t about paying players less than their true value, aka cheaply, it’s about utilizing players at an appropriate rate of pay that have a perceived *underutilized* skill set league wide 

Edited by Thorny

And while Malenstyn and McLeod were cheap salary-wise, they weren't exactly that when it came to acquisition cost.

The cap has really upped the awareness about the value of cheap contracts.

Not the exact same but I think the Sabres could use this as a reasonable cap on Malestyn's salary, at least +/- a little bit. 

Truthfully Malestyn should be below this number but I found it interesting. We could also compare Drury to McLeod if wanted to think about them as 3rd line centers. Anyways, regardless of the comparison, thought I would post it. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

4th line LW comparison 2022-2023 season. Malenstyn to Girgensons 

Age 26 to 30

Height weight 6’3 200 to 6’2 200

Games played 81 to 63

Minutes per game 14:14 to 11:50

Goals 6 to 8

Assists 15 to 6

Points 21 to 14

Points per games played .259 to .222

Shots 98 to 73