Day 2. 2024 Draft

spndnchz

My thoughts:

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The Joker Hello GIF

No one wants to hear this but, there's talent available at 42 and 43.

Julius Miettinen, a 6'3" 200lb center is already in the whl and is another Finn. Has a power forward element and took off after a NA adjustment period. He's flying under the radar. 

Igor Chernyshov, a 6'2" 198lb winger who should have already been drafted but Russian factor. Power forward in the modern sense, dude survived a bottom 6 role in the KHL so defensively sound with lots of skill.

Andrew Basha, the 5'11" 186lb lw who also should have been drafted. I expect him to go quick today. He's good but he's another guy under everyone's 6ft threshold. 

Charlie Elick, the 6'4" 203lb rhd likes to make opposing forwards eat ice and he's got the mobility needed to continue that. 

Dominik Badinka, the 6'3" 185lb rhd who just played his draft year in the SHL and was very good positional.

Harrison Brunicke, a 6'3" 187lb rhd in the whl who has great mobility and some untapped offense while being able to shutdown his own zone. 

Adam Kleber, a 6'5" 214lb rhd with good agility out of the USHL, has 2nd pairing potential and some grit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 prospects I'm surprised not to see in the top 32 still on the board:

1. RW Nikita Artamonov- Excellent hockey sense who always seems to be in the right places much like our 14th overall pick, isn't the biggest guy but plays with an edge and started producing right away in the KHL which not many 18 uear olds do.

2. RHD Charlie Elick- big dman at 6'3" 203 lbs., very mobile for a guy of his stature and physical, in fact many WHL players stated he was the toughest dman they've ever played against. 27 points in the regular season and a +4, also added 3 assists in 7 games at the U18 WJC.

3. RHD Dominik Badinka- another big 6'3" 185 lbs. right shot dman, this guy is much more defensive minded than Elick from what I'm reading and seeing on him, he's very mobile matching the players speed either heading back with skaters looking to break away. If you can get his offensive game going this guy could be a absolute steal.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

I’m becoming convinced there’s not much of a market for picks and non NHL ready prospects.  Vegas and Florida won cups without using draft picks. 

The last two drafts have had basically no NHL player trades happen on / near the draft.

I think teams all want to retool, not rebuild (thanks to teams like Sabres, Sens and Wings all bombing at it).

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Thorny said:

Do we end up making all 9 picks? 39 in the last 4 drafts? 

Id be half surprised if we do and half surprised if we don’t. It seems such a wild thing to do but getting up to that podium on time seems to be a real skill of Adams 

At this point I would have to say it is likely that we do make all of the picks, though maybe we will combine a couple to trade up or move one for a comparable future pick.  If we make a trade today I think it will be a mid-rd pick for a player like Iafallo (useful bottom 6 player who is overpaid but only has one or two years left on his deal).

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Do we end up making all 9 picks? 39 in the last 4 drafts? 

Id be half surprised if we do and half surprised if we don’t. It seems such a wild thing to do but getting up to that podium on time seems to be a real skill of Adams 

I've said it before the draft I fully expect Adams to make these picks, I'll be pleasantly surprised to see a trade. I'd like him to move at least 1 2nd for a player with a no clause meaning a bottom tier player to bring in. Not a goon but a player that would be hard to play against and there is no reason he can't make a move like that.

2 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

At this point I would have to say it is likely that we do make all of the picks, though maybe we will combine a couple to trade up or move one for a comparable future pick.  If we make a trade today I think it will be a mid-rd pick for a player like Iafallo (useful bottom 6 player who is overpaid but only has one or two years left on his deal).

Iafallo earns $4 million to be a bottom 6 player. Ironcially we should be receiving a mid-round pick to take him, not the other way around!

And to be clear, I think we should be doing precisely that - take NHL players who are overpaid for assets. Win-win. We improve our team now, and add some stores to the pantry for future days.

8 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I've said it before the draft I fully expect Adams to make these picks, I'll be pleasantly surprised to see a trade. I'd like him to move at least 1 2nd for a player with a no clause meaning a bottom tier player to bring in. Not a goon but a player that would be hard to play against and there is no reason he can't make a move like that.

75% of the league doesn’t have a NMC so I don’t think it’s just bottom tier players w/o protection. Sure the top 25% does but that math doesn’t check out as an excuse when we only need to be in the top 50% to achieve success 

the bar is low - this needs to be compared and contrasted with the “obstacles” 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

75% of the league doesn’t have a NMC so I don’t think it’s just bottom tier players w/o protection. Sure the top 25% does but that math doesn’t check out as an excuse when we only need to be in the top 50% to achieve success 

the bar is low - this needs to be compared and contrasted with the “obstacles” 

Adams is entirely too slow and too cautious up to this point. 

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Ya I mean overpaid is doable. Additions will necessarily have flaws, but that’s ok: to win you configure a team that maximizes the strengths you have and minimizes the weaknesses you *have*. You can’t build a team with perfect aptitude 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya I mean overpaid is doable. Additions will necessarily have flaws, but that’s ok: to win you configure a team that maximizes the strengths you have and minimizes the weaknesses you *have*. You can’t build a team with perfect aptitude 

Adams seems to refuse to even overpay by a penny. What's worse Scrooger McDuck or Tim Murray 

Mckeens top left