Sabres Draft #14: Konsta Helenius, 5'11" 189lb Center

Brawndo

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

There's only 2 scenarios. One, he will flip several prospects for good NHL pros or two, he plans on filling the NHL roster with rookies. The first idea could make us into a good team if he flips enough of them. The second idea will be a joke - again. 

My one question is, when does it become impossible to achieve the 1st?

For instance, Ehlers with extension was supposed to be a prospect and a 1st

Would you still do it for 3 top prospects without an extension. I worry that's what going on.

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Hellanus could wind up being a really good pick in the end.

7 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Hellanus

This name alone should strike fear in to every opposing player in the league. 

Hide the baked beans!!!

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Time will tell.

Helenius not Hell *****... there's a joke here.

Pi started it 😜 

My thoughts on the draft this far are that we made a good first pick in a draft that was very unpredictable. I had no clear dream choice myself and might have choosen differently, but I am happy with Helenius. e. Having a player that has been compared to Datsyuk in our system to develop properly for four years (even longer if we want) , what is not to like about that! And who knows, we might have choosen same player even if we had not traded down. I do not think we had picked Helenius if Adams not intend to use prospects in a coming trade, then again I hesitate about Adams determination to get a deal done, but there are both assetts and capspace and a new coach so something will happen.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SabreFinn said:

My thoughts on the draft this far are that we made a good first pick in a draft that was very unpredictable. I had no clear dream choice myself and might have choosen differently, but I am happy with Helenius. e. Having a player that has been compared to Datsyuk in our system to develop properly for four years (even longer if we want) , what is not to like about that! And who knows, we might have choosen same player even if we had not traded down. I do not think we had picked Helenius if Adams not intend to use prospects in a coming trade, then again I hesitate about Adams determination to get a deal done, but there are both assetts and capspace and a new coach so something will happen.

It's not a bad pick based on all of the info we have now. And yes, keeping the talent pipeline flowing with developing skilled players is never a bad decision. These last 13 years have been very trying on the fan base here in Western New York, which is why the feeling of failure for many not using the pick for an immediate roster upgrade is hitting home. The player is very good, and the present circumstances surrounding the club shouldn't reflect on the player himself.

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Sounds like a guy who can’t get a deal done.  

From Hammy on GR:

Adams knew when he got to Sphere that he wasn’t going to be able to move his pick for an NHL player. He said,

“As the afternoon went on, I thought we put together some really strong offers and then when that didn’t end up happening, I just knew that teams just weren’t willing to move a player for a pick in a package.”

What led everyone to believe without a shadow of a doubt that Pick #11 or #14 was some coveted pick ?   Prior to draft night, the talking heads stated it was wide open after the first couple of prospects. So the created narrative seemed silly. Was it the belief teams with Cap issues would deal ?  A vet for a vet seems like the avenue all along for trades. 

7 hours ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

I was saying that before the draft but this kid has 25# on Krebs thru Benson….and He’s 5’11” right now too….

i think he much farther along than Krebs thru Benson as well…

Interesting you mention Krebs. This will sound insane and I'm not advocating for it but Helenius might be better than Krebs within a year or maybe two. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

From Hammy on GR:

Adams knew when he got to Sphere that he wasn’t going to be able to move his pick for an NHL player. He said,

“As the afternoon went on, I thought we put together some really strong offers and then when that didn’t end up happening, I just knew that teams just weren’t willing to move a player for a pick in a package.”

Just more excuses.  If he knew this then why not make the moves before draft day.  Other GMs do not take him seriously.  Other GMs are probably sick of trying to send NHL Players to Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Just more excuses.  If he knew this then why not make the moves before draft day.  Other GMs do not take him seriously.  Other GMs are probably sick of trying to send NHL Players to Buffalo.  

I don’t understand why any Sabres fan would ever think that any Sabres GM would be able to make a deal at this point. They are the laughing stock of the league and no one worth a damn wants to come to Buffalo because of the utter dysfunction. The team has to become a consistent playoff team before they start gaining any respect around the league. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

From Hammy on GR:

06d5674d86d74435991e3434d29b3ebf.gif

6 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

I don’t understand why any Sabres fan would ever think that any Sabres GM would be able to make a deal at this point. They are the laughing stock of the league and no one worth a damn wants to come to Buffalo because of the utter dysfunction. The team has to become a consistent playoff team before they start gaining any respect around the league. 

The new Coyotes 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

There's only 2 scenarios. One, he will flip several prospects for good NHL pros or two, he plans on filling the NHL roster with rookies. The first idea could make us into a good team if he flips enough of them. The second idea will be a joke - again. 

2nd round picks are often traded for good nhl players too. Not top line players (without throwing in prospects) but certainly grinders for the bottom 6

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

It's not a bad pick based on all of the info we have now. And yes, keeping the talent pipeline flowing with developing skilled players is never a bad decision. These last 13 years have been very trying on the fan base here in Western New York, which is why the feeling of failure for many not using the pick for an immediate roster upgrade is hitting home. The player is very good, and the present circumstances surrounding the club shouldn't reflect on the player himself.

I understand the pain you are feeling in western NY, and pro sports is about winning, and when the spirit not is winning, it makes fans pissed off. 

I feel pretty calm about the roster build for next season. This was the last season of dissapointment in a while. Even if there are no trades this weekend, the off season and UFA market will bring all that's needed. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

After sleeping on it, I don't hate the pick, and I do like the player. His combine was good; he translated for other kids and has a personality. He's a solid 200' center who projects as a center. I simply would've taken Eiserman and Brandsegg-Nygard before him. Maybe he's a 2C in 2028.

My thought is cross-draft. If you've got Geekie and Nazar (2022); Sillinger (2021); and Rossi, Perfetti, and Lundell (2020) all on the same board, where does Helenius fit amongst them?