Sabres Draft #14: Konsta Helenius, 5'11" 189lb Center

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, LTS said:

100%, but a player under contract with no protection has no choice.  I just think Adams is looking for a fair trade and he's not going to get one. Every GM knows he has to win now and is going to try and make him overspend.  I would.  You don't win when you are dealing from the disadvantaged position.

The Sabres are going to have to get in the playoffs before anyone takes them seriously.  Until then, who knows.. but it's not getting any easier.

Every GM is going to try to take advantage of the Sabres.

• Agree 1

I will add that Helenius in comparison to Nygard is 7 months younger. Nygard is closer to Benson than Helenius so Helenius really has that growth potential. My concern is that Liiga is not a fast league, go watch it. Players can play fast but the speed in transition and the darting play that you see all over the NA game is just not really there because theres more ice and they just play a bit different. If Helenius adapts to the NA ice and can play with better pace, I think he could be pretty good. There's a bunch of NHL players that are really good 2nd line guys that aren't particularly flashy. We will see how he develops, I would focus on burst, handling, and let him continue to improve his shot. 

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

At some point, the Sabres will have too much talent to not make the playoffs regardless. I mean, the fact they have promoted so heavily already from recent drafts and still have the best prospect pipeline by a wide margin according to most is absurd.

Yeah, 27-28.  Only thing that separates now from then is 120 or so more losses.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Yeah, 27-28.  Only thing that separates now from then is 120 or so more losses.

Considering they were a point away 2 years ago and coaching seemed like it was the biggest issue last year (along with Quinn being out far more than expected once he returned due to another fluke injury) I highly doubt it takes 3-4 more years. In fact I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen next year.

17 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

What in the world? Is this a new thing or am I just old as f***

She has gone viral because she is a hot woman with a dirty mind who is seemingly down for whatever behind closed doors and that will always be in high demand among men.

Edited by matter2003

Just now, matter2003 said:

Considering they were a point away 2 years ago and coaching seemed like it was the biggest issue last year (along with Quinn being out far more than expected once he returned due to another fluke injury) I highly doubt it takes 3 more years. In fact I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen next year.

Maybe, but they were the youngest team in the league last season, and will probably be younger this season.  The eight youngest teams in the league missed the playoffs last season.

The goal of the Sabres is still development, not winning.  And as good as Ruff is a coach, he still needed character guys like Peca, Drury, and Briere on the roster.  The Sabres do not have players of that character on the roster.

And when the team missed the playoffs by one point, they still finished 19th overall in the league. 

So they can wait for the current core of players to age up, or they can inject some experience, grit, and leadership into the lineup.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Good player, like the pick, but whatever. Just another prospect. Would rather have had Eiserman, but something turned teams off from Cole.  

We may regret not staying at 11 as Dickinson and Buium fell to 11 and 12 respectively.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

I like this kid.

As many of us wanted a trade, there is some disappointment but this guy is projected as a 2-3C with an all round game. It doesn’t help us now but this guy is closer to the NHL than most picked before him. He has decent size and will be playing his second full season vs men. He also made the Finnish men’s team at the Worlds. He didn’t get much ice time but he was good enough to make it.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay, you keep saying this and no. Konsta Helenius is not a soft fluffy euro guy floating around the ice hoping his perm doesn't get ruffled. He engages physically the way you should and has good checking skills. He is not afraid of contact at all and also has a solid skill set. He just isn't sexy but man is he solid. 5'11" 189lbs at 18 is pretty solid. 

Cmon He did EXACTLY what I said he would... exactly... like clockwork... 

Edited by JP51

1 minute ago, jad1 said:

High floor, uncertain ceiling?

High floor yes. You don't put up some of the best ppg in Liiga for a 17yr old ever without being good. He was the 5th overall in Liiga history for a draft eligible skater. Ceiling wise is hard because unlike the SHL guys who I just don't worry about, Finnish league guys I don't wanna say I worry but how will they translate to the NA ice. Should be interesting and some guys get better on the smaller ice, dev camp is interesting now. Is he actually better than Östlund or Savoie or Kulich?

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Hellanus could wind up being a really good pick in the end.

I agree. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JP51 said:

He did EXACTLY what I said he would... exactly... 

No he did not. You can't call every freaking player from Europe who isn't 6'4" 230lbs a soft figure skater. It just isn't true. 

6 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'm no prospect guru but from what I read and saw on Youtube he appears to be both sound on offense and solid defensively. Am I wrong about that?

Very good 200ft player, "detailed" is the word often used. He knows where to be and when and he doesn't take zones off. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No he did not. You can't call every freaking player from Europe who isn't 6'4" 230lbs a soft figure skater. It just isn't true. 

Very good 200ft player, "detailed" is the word often used. He knows where to be and when and he doesn't take zones off. 

Sounds like a player with upside. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Cmon man he is another European under 6 ft under 200lbs prospect in a 6'1 205 leauge that will never strike fear into the hearts of anyone in the corner... please just please... it's Adams motif and the motif of this team for 2 failing decades. 

Edited by JP51
  • Sad 1