Sabres Draft #14: Konsta Helenius, 5'11" 189lb Center

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's solid defensively but he lacks the higher end skills to really be anything more than a middle 6 center at the NHL level. Could he develop them? Yes he could, but right now he needs to add about 25% more handling and 20% more dynamic skating (aka cuts and direction changes)

HeleniusChart.thumb.png.00c6ec866abd0f71019dce39bf6caffa.png

Do you expect a mid draft pick in a weak draft to be a top liner?  A 2/3C would be great for us in a few years 

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Is this trying to say he might impress in camp and challenge the roster this year like Bensen did last?

beating out Krebs isn’t a high bar…

Edited by triumph_communes

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

They said on the broadcast the Buffalo was trying to trade. I'd like to think they had an option but were asking too much, etc. They gotta do something at some point.

IDK, feels more like they could not get an existing NHL player to come here.  Agree they have to do something, but it doesn’t mean they will actually get it done

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JP51 said:

Yes he understands Adams is clueless and literally is pining to lose in an embarrassing fashion again another European piroutter with flowing locks ... he needs to be fired

Okay, you keep saying this and no. Konsta Helenius is not a soft fluffy euro guy floating around the ice hoping his perm doesn't get ruffled. He engages physically the way you should and has good checking skills. He is not afraid of contact at all and also has a solid skill set. He just isn't sexy but man is he solid. 5'11" 189lbs at 18 is pretty solid. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

IDK, feels more like they could not get an existing NHL player to come here.  Agree they have to do something, but it doesn’t mean they will actually get it done

100%, but a player under contract with no protection has no choice.  I just think Adams is looking for a fair trade and he's not going to get one. Every GM knows he has to win now and is going to try and make him overspend.  I would.  You don't win when you are dealing from the disadvantaged position.

The Sabres are going to have to get in the playoffs before anyone takes them seriously.  Until then, who knows.. but it's not getting any easier.

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, LTS said:

100%, but a player under contract with no protection has no choice.  I just think Adams is looking for a fair trade and he's not going to get one. Every GM knows he has to win now and is going to try and make him overspend.  I would.  You don't win when you are dealing from the disadvantaged position.

The Sabres are going to have to get in the playoffs before anyone takes them seriously.  Until then, who knows.. but it's not getting any easier.

At some point, the Sabres will have too much talent to not make the playoffs regardless. I mean, the fact they have promoted so heavily already from recent drafts and still have the best prospect pipeline by a wide margin according to most is absurd.

2 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

A middle 6 center is not the end of the world relative to his draft position.

Oh, I have no issue with taking Helenius. It let's us know the analytics department is important. Helenius might be NHL ready within the year, he already plays against men in the 3rd or maybe 4th best pro league (NHL, SHL, AHL, Liiga?). He will need to work on pace of play the most because Liiga is slower and the ice is bigger but he's not bad at anything. Again, it just isn't sexy but he's good. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

So is this guy Östlund version 2.0?

No, Östlund's game is built on his skating and shiftiness. He is light even 2 years later at 5'10" maybe 170lbs and he uses his skating to get him out of trouble and run a really effective rush game. Helenius has good not great skating and he uses what I think is a more translatable skillset of give and goes and his stick and body checking work is better than Ostlunds. 

• Thanks (+1) 1