Sabres Draft #14: Konsta Helenius, 5'11" 189lb Center

Brawndo

8 hours ago, fiftyone said:

This may have already been discussed, so apologies if I missed it. But in KA's press conference, he was asked about the trade down. He said that when they were deciding whether to go from 11 to 14, there was one player where they'd be very upset if he ended up being there at 11 after they traded out. Any thoughts / ideas of who that may have been? 

7 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Iginla 

Was that reported, or is it your assessment/guess?

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

He was a generational talent there will never be one like him .

"Generational" is a bit strong here.  Datsyuk was a great player, to be sure -- one of the best in the world for quite a few years and one of Russia's all-timers.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Krebs is likely going to have to devote himself to becoming a shutdown forward to maintain an NHL career.  Otherwise, he is Europe bound at the end of this contract.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

His defensive numbers were actual quite good last year, and 20-ish points is fine for a 4C.

He drastically reduced his giveaways, and his shot-blocking and hitting numbers were fine.

In terms of 5-on-5 play there is no need to upgrade him in that 4C role.

This is a kid who has really been asked to transform his game over the past 2 years, from a high-risk offensive distributor to a conscientious, hard-to-play-against checker. It's been a big ask, and he's really worked hard to make the adjustment.

I see his question as two-fold:

• How much specialization do they need on their 4th line, because he doesn't bring the high-end PK, faceoff, or physicality elements that coaches often look for from those players.
  • Can he tap back into his innate playmaking skills at all without losing his defensive gains? Because that would make him a perfect 3C.

I think he ultimately will settle into a long-term career and be pretty good in a 3C role. I just don't know if he can get there this year, or if the Sabres can afford to wait.

Good range of outcomes here.  I like Krebsie and want to see him at age 25 after 2 years of being coached by Lindy.  It's very possible he could develop into a credible 3C by then.

OTOH, I despair of his hands and I have a hard time seeing him producing offense in the NHL.

30 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Was that reported, or is it your assessment/guess?

"Generational" is a bit strong here.  Datsyuk was a great player, to be sure -- one of the best in the world for quite a few years and one of Russia's all-timers.

Good range of outcomes here.  I like Krebsie and want to see him at age 25 after 2 years of being coached by Lindy.  It's very possible he could develop into a credible 3C by then.

OTOH, I despair of his hands and I have a hard time seeing him producing offense in the NHL.

He changed the game of hockey without him deking wouldn't be where it is today

He basically invited the Alley-oop of hockey 

And let's not forget probably the greatest 2 way player 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Steve Yzerman 5'11" 185

Joe Sakic 5'!1" 185

Pat Lafontaine 5'10" 180

Dale Hawerchuk 5'11" 185

Wayne Gretzky 6'0" 185

Mike Peca 5'11 181

Danny Briere 5'10 181

Chris Drury 5'10" 195

Derek Roy 5'8 187

Steve Ott 6'0" 189

Nikita Kucherov 5'11" 182

Kiril Kaprizov 5'!0 202

Sebastian Aho 6'0" 176

Travis Konecny 5'!0 192

Connor Bedard 5'10 185

Seriously dude, the amount of guys Helenius' size to have successful NHL careers is so ridiculously long, it's unbelievable people would even bring it up. Throughout positions, eras, franchises and roles.

In a lot of ways, the 5'10 195-pounders with the big thighs and butts have an advantage, losing a low centre of gravity and burst to get underneath and around defenders.

Absolutely.  The guys with big strong thighs and butts have an advantage.   You could see that with our own Gilbert way back in the day.  Core strength and legs help forwards get up and down the ice and help them with leverage for puck battles.  

Helenius has good size already and a frame to grow on.  I like the comparisons to Barkov’s game as well.  Responsible both ways.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Absolutely.  The guys with big strong thighs and butts have an advantage.   You could see that with our own Gilbert way back in the day.  Core strength and legs help forwards get up and down the ice and help them with leverage for puck battles.  

Helenius has good size already and a frame to grow on.  I like the comparisons to Barkov’s game as well.  Responsible both ways.  

Maybe we should say Lundell'a game rather than Barkov?    

I just had a chance to watch my recording of the 1st rd of the NHL draft.  A couple of interesting stats they mentioned.  During the U18's Helenius lead the tourney in possession and in passes that resulted in a shot on goal.  

I'd love to see him in Rochester in the fall.  Should be interesting to see how he measures up against Östlund, Savoie and Kulich (assuming some of those guys aren't traded).

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I just had a chance to watch my recording of the 1st rd of the NHL draft.  A couple of interesting stats they mentioned.  During the U18's Helenius lead the tourney in possession and in passes that resulted in a shot on goal.  

I'd love to see him in Rochester in the fall.  Should be interesting to see how he measures up against Östlund, Savoie and Kulich (assuming some of those guys aren't traded).

From what Kevyn said, it might be their plan A.

His performance in Liiga has them thinking he might be ready.

• Agree 1