Sabres Trade the 11th pick to San Jose for 14th and 42nd Overall

Brawndo

59 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Montreal and LA just made a worse trade to move in the draft. Buffalo dropped 3 spots and got pick 42. Kings got pick 57 to drop 5 spots and sure you can toss in pick 198th overall in there but that is the 7th round and basically irrelevant. 

Pretty sure when Adams asked Sam Ventura about the trade the answer was a quick and resounding hell yes 

• Like (+1) 1

OK, so I guess this trade is now officially Helenius vs Sam Dickinson, a 6'3" skating defenseman drafted by SJ from the OHL at #11, and, to a slightly lesser extent, vs Zeev Buium, a 6'0" NCAA defenseman drafted by Minny at #12 and Jeff Luchanko, a 2-way C drafted by Philly at #13 from the OHL.

If any draftniks here have any thoughts -- please fire away.

I bet Helenius is the best of the 4 of them.

Buium might be the best of the 4. He outperformed Power in the ncaa for a comparison and can do everything you want. Shades of Fox and Makar.

Dickinson has a bunch of questions on his decision making and ability to play faster (make decisions fast). Still, he racks up points and can run a pp. He's not any different though than Power or Byram really. 

Luchenko is very young and has a lot of upside. He mainly uses his speed and good passing. Ottawa is betting on 1 year of good production but it's a good bet. 

Helenius is hard to compare to the defenders but plays a structurally more sound game because Liiga is better than the ohl. I think his defensive game is above Luchenko for sure. Luchenko has better skating but I think Helenius is smarter. 

If I had to rank them today. 

Buium

Helenius

Dickinson

Luchenko

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

OK, so I guess this trade is now officially Helenius vs Sam Dickinson, a 6'3" skating defenseman drafted by SJ from the OHL at #11, and, to a slightly lesser extent, vs Zeev Buium, a 6'0" NCAA defenseman drafted by Minny at #12 and Jeff Luchanko, a 2-way C drafted by Philly at #13 from the OHL.

I'm not a draftnick and don't pretend to be. But it seems to me that these players are in the same ranking strata. When watching portions of the draft it seems some analysts were gushing over Zeev Buium. I'm more than satisfied with the Helenius pick. Only time will tell. 

23 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

My uninformed take:

I was very high on Buium, I liked him the most and will be watching him closely. He’s got the widest range of the 4: reads the game very well, but lacks the tools of a Byram or Power.

Dickinson is a much safer pick: he’s a prototype. I don’t think he has 1D upside, but is a solid bet to reach a Brent Seabrook 2/3 level.

Luchenko is a likable player: some skill and plays hard but I don’t see him higher than a 2C.

Helenius is the guy I wanted and expected to take at 14. He is a solid prospect with enough game to play throughout the lineup and has Nick Suzuki upside. He’s better than Luchenko and on a similar range to Dickinson.

• Like (+1) 1