Sabres Trade the 11th pick to San Jose for 14th and 42nd Overall

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, French Collection said:

At 11 I know someone from the top 10 will drop.

My wording was that at 14 you hope someone from the top 10 drops. Benson lasted until 13.

But top 10 is an arbitrary cutoff. It all depends where the 3rd tier ends. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, LGR4GM said:

But top 10 is an arbitrary cutoff. It all depends where the 3rd tier ends. 

Yes, and this year seems to have more guys who could go top 10. 11 was obviously a better pick but 3 spots is not a game changer imo.

Dominoes are falling but KA still has his assets and now one more. I hope he lands something of substance in a trade. I might even lose my s**t if he rolls back Krebs and Jost.

Me getting my hopes up that KA is actually using the draft picks this year to replace the prospects in our system he plans to trade for proven NHL talent with term left so the Sabres can let this draft class properly develop while being a playoff contender this season

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

7 hours ago, PotentPowerPlay21 said:

I feel another trade is coming. The Sabres are going to package a couple draft picks and a player for an established forward. Just my guess.

Johnny Carson Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

• Like (+1) 3

As far as asset management, moving down 3 spots to get an extra 2nd, is perfectly fine.  The difference between Helenius, Greentree, and that mix are fair.  I'd really love Brandsegg-Nygard at 14.  Which is right in the wheelhouse for his draft position.  He'd be such an upgrade potentially if he hits for our middle six.  The type of draftee, that is quality and has the attributes that this team lacks "potentially".

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Rasmus_ said:

As far as asset management, moving down 3 spots to get an extra 2nd, is perfectly fine.  The difference between Helenius, Greentree, and that mix are fair.  I'd really love Brandsegg-Nygard at 14.  Which is right in the wheelhouse for his draft position.  He'd be such an upgrade potentially if he hits for our middle six.  The type of draftee, that is quality and has the attributes that this team lacks "potentially".

When will he hit the middle six?

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Thorny said:

I am the “trade down makes sense” guy so, there’s that 

if we don’t trade one of these picks or prospects in the next couple days I’d have to say I hate it, though 

Right. It remains to be seen. 

On the surface it makes no sense if they are drafting these players. They don't need more prospects - especially long term prospects and the further down the board one moves the more long term and uncertain the prospect becomes.

They need talent influx asap. It only makes sense if they are making a trade with these picks in some way. 

• Like (+1) 3

they mentioned that all of the deals offered for their #11 pick were underwhelming so they moved back a little and picked up and extra 2nd.

We all fully expect to see some wheeling and dealing this weekend for players with some established NHL pedigree... If that happens then this trade was a decent move.. If it doesn't then WTF?

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

they mentioned that all of the deals offered for their #11 pick were underwhelming so they moved back a little and picked up and extra 2nd.

We all fully expect to see some wheeling and dealing this weekend for players with some established NHL pedigree... If that happens then this trade was a decent move.. If it doesn't then WTF?

I think he is gonna try, but I worry he is gonna force it because the players he is after with NMCs are not going to waive them for us... this is going to be interesting. I think we end up way over paying for a FA ... but I hope he makes some magic. 

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

If it doesn’t then we still might get the guy we wanted along at 14, there are several players bunched to together anyway, and we have the extra 2nd which also has  trade value.  

I can complain about Adams with the best of them, and so far he gets a poor grade from me, but this trade was actually ok.  He did get some value.  

Now, if could just improve the NHL roster.  

• dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If it doesn’t then we still might get the guy we wanted along at 14, there are several players bunched to together anyway, and we have the extra 2nd which also has  trade value.  

I can complain about Adams with the best of them, and so far he gets a poor grade from me, but this trade was actually ok.  He did get some value.  

Montreal and LA just made a worse trade to move in the draft. Buffalo dropped 3 spots and got pick 42. Kings got pick 57 to drop 5 spots and sure you can toss in pick 198th overall in there but that is the 7th round and basically irrelevant. 

Ok, you ALWAYS want the higher pick.  I get that.  I agree with that.

With that said, I looked back and the 2020-2015 drafts for the difference between players taken with the 11th pick vs the 14th pick (I simply didn't even use the most recent drafts because a lot of those guys haven't developed/played a lot yet)

11th overall picks:  Askarov, Soderstrom, Wahlstrom, Vilardi, Logan Brown, Crowse.  Not exactly a list of huge difference makers, and that is going back to guys that are now already in their mid 20's.

14th overall picks the same years: Holloway, York, Farabree, Foote, Charlie McaVoy, Jake Debrusk

Of the 2 lists, I'd rather have the guys taken at 14 than 11....but my main point is once you get out of the top 10, maybe even the top 5, the difference in talent between player 10 and 20 might be as thick as a sheet of paper.  

What may determine the success of the player might be MORE your development team, your development coaches AND random chance vs whether they were picked 11, 14, or 18 or 19.

But you would still rather pick earlier right?  Is a 2nd round pick to move down a few slots worth it?  PROBABLY not if you judge it by who is selected with that pick.  But when that pick is used as 'currency' to trade to acquire an existing NHL player at the deadline, OR as just one piece needed to sweeten a deal to acquire a very good NHL player in the offseason, it certainly is worth moving down a few spots in the middle of the first round.

So, in a postive way, if both picks are used to select players...ehh...no big deal.  You get an extra 'lotter ticket' in the early send round for not losing much in the first.  But if that 2nd rounder is used as part of a trade, then this is for SURE worth it.

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The interesting question is what player is San Jose homing in on? I agree with you that from a Sabre perspective it is a good deal. We can still get a good player within the same tier of the 11th pick, and we add picks that can be used as chips in a trade deal. This is certainly far from an overwhelming deal but it is a smart deal. Another interesting question regarding our side of the deal is whether in other proposed deals a team/s was asking for more in return to get a deal consummated? Maybe the return from the San Jose deal can be the deciding factor???

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The interesting question is what player is San Jose homing in on? I agree with you that from a Sabre perspective it is a good deal. We can still get a good player within the same tier of the 11th pick, and we add picks that can be used as chips in a trade deal. This is certainly far from an overwhelming deal but it is a smart deal. Another interesting question regarding our side of the deal is whether in other proposed deals a team/s was asking for more in return to get a deal consummated? Maybe the return from the San Jose deal can be the deciding factor???

Just a thought...

Maybe they aren't 'homing in' on a particular player at 11, but someone in the top 10, or top 5. This is just a shot in the dark, but don't they have Vegas' first round pick next year?  Not likely to be a super high pick. But maybe they have a deal with someone to trade 11 AND vegas' first next year to move up to the top 5?  And the team they have that deal with didn't want a 2nd and wanted more than #14 overall.   And if that potential deal doesn't happen, then no biggie, they pick a few spots higher at the expense of them giving up a 2nd. Again, not likely, but certainly possible.

Edited by mjd1001

43 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

@xzy89c1

Can you consider using the forum for its purpose, which is discussion and debate. 

I am growing tired of seeing your thumbs down and eyeroll responses.  Use them if you must but what exactly do you dislike about the comments above?  

Just wondering what you stand for and agree with, if anything.  

Edited by Pimlach

28 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Just a thought...

Maybe they aren't 'homing in' on a particular player at 11, but someone in the top 10, or top 5. This is just a shot in the dark, but don't they have Vegas' first round pick next year?  Not likely to be a super high pick. But maybe they have a deal with someone to trade 11 AND vegas' first next year to move up to the top 5?  And the team they have that deal with didn't want a 2nd and wanted more than #14 overall.   And if that potential deal doesn't happen, then no biggie, they pick a few spots higher at the expense of them giving up a 2nd. Again, not likely, but certainly possible.

I say with confidence: I don't know what they are going to do. But as you note, there are so many options and considerations to consider something has to give this weekend. If little happens, it will be so disappointing.