Sabres Trade the 11th pick to San Jose for 14th and 42nd Overall

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I see things coming, good, bad, will be played out this coming season. But one thing is certain, Ruff is making moves. So happy he's back at the helm. 

Why does everyone assume that Ruff is making moves?  He didn't play that role in his last stint with Buffalo; Regier made roster moves.  

Ruff is a coach, not a scout or GM.  He's had enough success in the league that if he wanted to be a GM, some team would have given him the opportunity.  But he never made that move.

This is on Adams.  He can seek Ruff's advice, but Adams is responsible for player acquisitions.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Why does everyone assume that Ruff is making moves?  He didn't play that role in his last stint with Buffalo; Regier made roster moves.  

Ruff is a coach, not a scout or GM.  He's had enough success in the league that if he wanted to be a GM, some team would have given him the opportunity.  But he never made that move.

This is on Adams.  He can seek Ruff's advice, but Adams is responsible for player acquisitions.

Cause he can now

• Agree 1

Adams' job is to manage player acquisitions and stock the roster while Ruff's job is to coach the team and play the players on the roster that give the team the best chance to win.  That said, neither man works in a vacuum.  I'm sure they are in close contact and discuss all player moves.  That's the case in most professional sports organizations.  My guess is that with Adams' relative inexperience and Ruff's vast experience, that Adams may rely on Ruff a bit more than some GMs do with their head coaches, but regardless of the degree of collaboration, the GM and coach working together to build and manage a roster is how things work.

In Bill Parcells' parlance, Adams buys the groceries and Ruff cooks the food, but Ruff helps Adams make the grocery list.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, jad1 said:

If you think Ruff hasn't been a voice in what is needed, I don't know what to say. Especially given Adams falling just short of getting over the hump of playoff appearance.

Sure Adams is by title the GM, but Ruffs career experience speaks for itself, of course they're going to more than listen to his input. He is the mentor in the room, if you doubt that, your only denying the reality of the Sabres current circumstances imho.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

If you think Ruff hasn't been a voice in what is needed, I don't know what to say. Especially given Adams falling just short of getting over the hump of playoff appearance.

Sure Adams is by title the GM, but Ruffs career experience speaks for itself, of course they're going to more than listen to his input. He is the mentor in the room, if you doubt that, your only denying the reality of the Sabres current circumstances imho.

Im sorry but Jason Karmanos has won multiple cups. He's the mentor in that room and has been since Adams hired him. He's got 25yrs of front office experience. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Im sorry but Jason Karmanos has won multiple cups. He's the mentor in that room and has been since Adams hired him. He's got 25yrs of front office experience. 

I agreed with both posts 😂 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I believe Lindy having a bit more than the usual coach’s input on roster construction was a condition of him taking the job. ‘Kevin, you want me to take this job? You need to get me this, this and this for the roster’. I just can’t imagine Lindy liked the construct of the roster he took over.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

It's not Ruffs forte, that's the point. Liger correctly points out that Karmanos has been here almost as long as Adams.  Adams has also built out a strong analytics department.  Do you think that he's finally going to add experience and grit to the lineup on Ruffs' advice?  What is Ruff telling Adams that he doesn't already know?

I believe that Ruff will be a very good coach when the team is iced.  I would expect him to elevate the play of the Sabres young core.

But is he going to tell Adams something he isn't already hearing from a pretty good staff or something he doesn't already know?  I don't buy it.

3 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

So did Adams’ pretty good staff suddenly have an epiphany and tell him to add more experience and grit? Or was KA told this previously by his staff but chose to ignore the advice? (Or wanted to but was incapable of making the necessary changes?).

Judging by their 2023 draft, I think internally they knew. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I agreed with both posts 😂 

Me to. I don't doubt they are taking multiple inputs.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Is this really the kind of trade that makes people think “he’ll yeah, go Lindy”?

I'm not thinking that at all, I'm thinking.....good, an additional well experienced voice in the room. Is that so much to believe?

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, jad1 said:

It's not Ruffs forte, that's the point. Liger correctly points out that Karmanos has been here almost as long as Adams.  Adams has also built out a strong analytics department.  Do you think that he's finally going to add experience and grit to the lineup on Ruffs' advice?  What is Ruff telling Adams that he doesn't already know?

I believe that Ruff will be a very good coach when the team is iced.  I would expect him to elevate the play of the Sabres young core.

But is he going to tell Adams something he isn't already hearing from a pretty good staff or something he doesn't already know?  I don't buy it.

I get it. Your not accepting yet to the reality of the situation. And that by no means, in any way is a slap towards you personally or your view. But the reality is, at least in an overwhelming number of Sabres faithful I speak with nearly daily, is that Ruffs years of experience is more than just window dressing, it is listened to. I believe that not out of some life long love/lust of era gone by, but out of what's being reported combined with what we factually know his career to be. Take it as you will, but as an older fan admittedly, one that watched the truly greats skate in Sabres jerseys, from the 70's on up, I not only believe this to be the case, I know it.

It's time to come in from the rain, and Ruff is that umbrella to make it happen, again in my humbled opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

Matt Ellis is making moves.

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

How many forwards do they need? They got a metric crap ton of them still waiting to come up and not many spots.

Absolutely, but it's what they do. I didn't say I agree with it, I just don't think it means there's an impending trade brewing. There might be, but they might have just thought, hey another pick cool as they have a number of forwards ranked up to 15 that they like. San Jose wanted to move up for a D man, that's obvious. Adams just likes shiny new prospects. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Correction, he's been employed by teams that have won cups. He won nothing. The extent of his input leading to those wins is just your guess.

• Like (+1) 2